Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolutely FREAKIN Ridiculous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely FREAKIN Ridiculous!

I logged on with Pycroft and sat around the docks bar (Pycroft's favorite hangout) hoping to meet someone. After 15 minutes, and a few drinks, I decided to venture out. I then crashed on loading the Port area (It's always that time) and have since tried 8 times, and crashed all 8 times. I have heard DM's say to contact Bioware, or Atari, or whoever. Can someone knowledgeable please send me a link of exactly who to contact to complain, and maybe an example of what to say (I'm not super technical, scripts, blah blah blah). In the 1 1/2 hours I have to play a few days on a weekday shouldn't be spent with my fingers crossed hoping I can get it. Thanks in advance, and hopefully this can be resolved by the game makers soon.

Pycroft

All I can tell you is to visit the technical help forum for NWN2 on the official site. I am running a dual core 2.4ghz 2gig ddr2ram 7950 nvidio 512 meg vid card (single, dont have my dual yet) and on-board sound and have had absolutely no problems. (I am also running at 1600/900+ resolution and full graphics settings)
    Last edited by Grigori; 02-27-2007, 10:33 PM.

Maleficus "Ravenor" Carnificis
    "Dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. I can sense your ripeness and, oddly enough, it is time for the harvest. Please, save your tears... I intend to reap your sorrow slowly and have ages to discover the things that make you suffer... I am eager to revel in the sweet melody of your screams and the melancholy of your despair..."
    Eldraxus Tzyvioq
    Mystic Theurge (and Harper) of Deneir wandering the Sundered Valley in search of (and with the intention of mapping out) places of power, ley-line intersections, and other locations where the divine and arcane intersect...

Comment

7950 Nvidia. 9750 nvidio isn't anything.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Oop... Fubar make type-oh!!! Fubar told peepulz Fubar not kno how reed scribbel paper... Fubar shud stik to draw pikturz...

Maleficus "Ravenor" Carnificis
        "Dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. I can sense your ripeness and, oddly enough, it is time for the harvest. Please, save your tears... I intend to reap your sorrow slowly and have ages to discover the things that make you suffer... I am eager to revel in the sweet melody of your screams and the melancholy of your despair..."
        Eldraxus Tzyvioq
        Mystic Theurge (and Harper) of Deneir wandering the Sundered Valley in search of (and with the intention of mapping out) places of power, ley-line intersections, and other locations where the divine and arcane intersect...

Comment

I'm running on Radeon x850, 512 RAM, and an Intel Pentium 4 2.60 GHz CPU. I think it has to do with RAM, for the most part.

Comment

I have very few crashing problems with 1 Gig of ram.

That being said, HI. I HAVE A RADEON 9600 PRO I'm below minimum recommended!
            "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
            - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Try reinstalling the Sudren client thingy. I had mega crashing untill I did that. And don't just do the update, get the full thing.

Comment

Try this: it may not work the first time but after a few tries it may allow you to log in: change the resolution temporarily to a smaller setting.
                PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

I think there are a lot of issues contributing to the crashing, but I believe that most of them are network related. After doing some extensive research on my end I've discovered that my crashing problem started around the same time my internet connection started having problems.

To put that in perspective if I test my bandwidth my connection is now running at ~ 600kbps (it should and usually runs at ~5mbps). To top off the amazing drop in speed I am dropping around 20% of my packets at my second hop (which is my cable providers equipment).

You you want to test to see if this may be the same problem you are having then you can try the following:
                  1. Click on your Start button.
                  2. Click on Run.
                  3. Type in "cmd" (without the quotes).
                  4. Type in "ping google.com /n 10" (without the quotes) to send 10 packets to google and check the response times.
                  If you get any Request Timed Out returns then you are dropping packets as well. You can follow the directions below to check and see where you are dropping your packets:
                  1. In the same DOS windows type "tracert google.com". This will trace the path your network traffic is taking to get to google. A dropped packet will be designated by a * in the line.
                  If you get any stars on your tracert then look to see what the IP address is next to that line (An IP Address is in the format xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). Once you know where you are dropping packets you can send ~100 to that location and get a decent feel for how man you are actually dropping by doing this:
                  1. Type "ping <enter IP Address> /n 100".
                  2. Once it finishes it will give you some average statistics and the percentage of the loss.
                  I think the crashing issue is most likely a combination of incredibly crappy network code (on OE's part) and the unstable nature of the internet.

I don't believe it is hardware related simply because I am running:

P4 2.4GHZ
                  2GB DDR SDRAM
                  Windows Vista Home Premium (which slows performance even more).
                  NVIDIA 6800 GS

And I didn't have a single transition crash until recently (on any game world). At first I thought it had something to do with upping the cap to our world, and that might well have some small effect on the network traffic, but I am pretty certain it's not a hardware (or RAM) related issue.
                  Paerin Truthe
                  Professional Vagabond

Comment

Of course, pinging google and this website provided consistent, fast results. But then i got the idea to ping the actual server, so i did. The response times were all over the place (understandably, i guess) ranging from 60 to 200 (average 73). However i did not drop any packets, though i experience crashes occasionally.
                    Heh, i guess my characters are deleted, now. Updating char list soon!

Comment

I have noticed Sundren's server does have more widely varying ping than say, Frontiers (which has one of the lowest pings for me), anywhere between 70 to 120, and at times it lags much more than that, maybe due to the huge number of corpses that sit around by the end of the day?
                      PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

Where is the Sundren server physically located?
                        Paerin Truthe
                        Professional Vagabond

Comment

Canada, i believe
                          Heh, i guess my characters are deleted, now. Updating char list soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Paerin View Post
                            I think the crashing issue is most likely a combination of incredibly crappy network code (on OE's part) and the unstable nature of the internet.
                            That pretty much sums it up. If you're pinging at 200 ms ever that's a good ping rate for a video game like this. 1/5th of a second for your actions to occur isn't bad. However, there are times when the flooding occurs (The big bug) where it takes 600 ms or more.

Obsidian needs to just use TCP/IP and forget their fugly network layer.

Also the box is in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
                              That pretty much sums it up. If you're pinging at 200 ms ever that's a good ping rate for a video game like this. 1/5th of a second for your actions to occur isn't bad. However, there are times when the flooding occurs (The big bug) where it takes 600 ms or more.

Obsidian needs to just use TCP/IP and forget their fugly network layer.

Also the box is in Florida.
                              To add to this, my wife has been my Network monitor. She plays WoW off the same network. In wow you have a latency bar, which is green, yellow and red. (Green < 200 ms, Yellow < 500, Red > 500). Now during the day it's basically green. When the server starts the flooding bug, he bar will turn red with 6000ms (Yes, 6000) ms ping. I also notice when I'm in game 95% of players wind up disconnected.

I'm pretty sure the issue is in the network core of NWN2. Remember, NWN2 manages it's own packets and error recovery and such. Meaning they likely have to keep copies of what they sent in memory so if there is packet loss where the packet isn't acknowledged, they have to send it again. There's probably a bug where under certain conditions the packets get sent over and over and over again. (I hate that I have to debug code I'm not looking at)

UDP is so archaic, since broadband the world went back to TCP/IP.

Comment

Working...
                              X