Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Party Loot and Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party Loot and Etiquette

Loot, lewt, treasure ! Everyone loves that, even you silly hypocrit paladins Can't defeat your everyday demon in rags now can you. However, there's always the question of how to divide it in a party. Therefore, in the light of the loot snatchers out there these days I'll compose these few, and mostly common, options when it comes to your party and the loot found. Anyone knowing another one, or I forgot something, I'll add it.

On dividing the loot, several options

#1. One looting for all, and all loot for everyone
    One of the most common and popular thing is to pick one player out to gather and carry all the loot. This is usually going to be the one who can carry the most of course. After the adventure is over he will distribute the items found between the party members when they need it, usless items get's sold and the gold is evenly split between the party members aswell.

#2. Taking turns during the adventure
    This one is a bit harder during the actual playing, but will save some time afterwards. The players in the party will take turns in picking a loot bag/chest/barrel, this will not result in a perfectly even amount of gold found for everyone.
    A item that is found ( i.e. a Halberd +2 ) will be shared and afterwards sold, the money will be split evenly between players. That is, if no one needs the item.

#3. Splitting tasks
    Since dividing the loot at the end might take a few minutes and some do not have the time to wait that long you can specify a few positions within the party at the beginning of the adventure. Player A picks up all the gold, Player B all the special items and Player C the scrolls, potions and other useless crap.

#4. Loot by Draft

This is an extension of one of the methods already mentioned. You would designate one person to be the collector and they would hold all of the loot and gold from the adventure. Mundane items are generally given away on the fly based on need (or desire) and are not calculated into the final results.

Once the adventure is over and your party is at a safe place all of the magical or unique items are placed on the ground for all in the group to see. Each person will roll d20 dice to see who has first pick. People will then pick 1 item from the loot drop in descending order (based on their roll). If there are more items than people you will repeat the picking order once everyone has gone, if there are less items than people low roller is out of luck.

You may certainly pick an item that you cannot use, but you think will be of trade value or benefit later. You can then play this however you want, by giving the item to a friend or person in need within the group.

Originally posted by Paerin View Post
    I personally like this system the best because it allows a modicum of roleplay to be involved with the loot distribution. The actual pecking order is completely random and gives everyone a fair chance to get something. However, the items that you choose or don't choose, and what you do with them can be completely IC actions. An example would be if you piss my rogue off enough and I get to choose before you, I may choose the +5 greatsword you've been eyeing and offer to sell it back to you.

On special items

#1. Two players wanting a found item.
    As a general option, if both player A and player B really want a found Shortbow +2 they will rule a agreed x-sided dice over it. The highest ( or lowest ) throw will have it.

On potions
    Usually it's smart to ask around ( IC ) if someone has need of a potion or what, mostly they are given to the front fighters to aid them. I have rarely seem them being sold anyway, way too usefull.

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
    However this point is very important:

TREASURE DROPS BELONG TO THE PARTY AS A WHOLE. EVERYONE DESERVES FAIR GAIN FROM ITEMS DROPPED. THEREFORE TREASURE IS OOC UNLESS THE ENTIRE PARTY AGREES TO BRING IT IC. THERE IS TO BE NO LOOTING "IN SECRET" OR CLAIMS THAT YOU DID MORE WORK SO DESERVE MORE.

Alright, if people miss that they're blind

P.S. This post isn't about properly RP-ing loot but with common OOC sense regarding friendly and fairness with your fellow players. Nothing as stupid to survive a dungeon, only to found out there's only two players who have snatched all the loot, being filthy rich and leaving you with nothing.

And yes I'm talking from those few years experience from NWN1 but also from the last few days here on Sundren
    Last edited by Clutch; 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM.
    Fret and fear, for Europe is near.

Desmonia Flashir

GBX: I'm a level 20 programmer for sure in real life. I know more about CPU's, software, Windows, etc, than most people know about their own children.

I really dont see much of a big deal with treasure tossing round here. Either ppl are just greedy or they give you stuff. I usually play far-away fighters, so I never get first shot at anything (unless I complete go ooc and haul azz to the nearest chest first).
    If ppl's chars like me enough, I expect them to feel sry for me (lol) and eventually give me something. It honestly takes up too much time (I dont mind, but it seems like 90% are just impatient ppl) to stop and divide loot.

So loot dividing is always in the air, and to expect any ettiquet is honestly asking for too much, lol.

My advice is play with friends, lol, hate to sound jaded like that, but its true.

Comment

The way I've always done this is need before greed. If people need a magic item, you just give it to them in the dungeon, then and there (After all, it helps you progress). Then the carrier (The #1 in the OP comment) sells to merchant or gives to the haggler (High appraise guy) and the coins are divided evenly, or perhaps the distributed items deducted. The selling and dividing is about a 5 minute process.

This is what worked well for me and many others. It ensures equality. What I see on Sundren is "Get mine before others get it first". However, players must enjoy that since I have yet to get any screenshots reporting any unfair loot dealings

However this point is very important:

TREASURE DROPS BELONG TO THE PARTY AS A WHOLE. EVERYONE DESERVES FAIR GAIN FROM ITEMS DROPPED. THEREFORE TREASURE IS OOC UNLESS THE ENTIRE PARTY AGREES TO BRING IT IC. THERE IS TO BE NO LOOTING "IN SECRET" OR CLAIMS THAT YOU DID MORE WORK SO DESERVE MORE.

Alright, if people miss that they're blind

Comment

Dan's not greedy, however I do feel at times a little unhappy about folks running around and looting everything. I don't bring it up because to a good extent I don't care. Sadly, other people do... and they have their say. I think the best system is #2 with a dash of honesty and civility. Else, #1 is probably the 'most' fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Ichbin View Post
          I really dont see much of a big deal with treasure tossing round here. Either ppl are just greedy or they give you stuff. I usually play far-away fighters, so I never get first shot at anything (unless I complete go ooc and haul azz to the nearest chest first).
          If ppl's chars like me enough, I expect them to feel sry for me (lol) and eventually give me something. It honestly takes up too much time (I dont mind, but it seems like 90% are just impatient ppl) to stop and divide loot.

So loot dividing is always in the air, and to expect any ettiquet is honestly asking for too much, lol.

My advice is play with friends, lol, hate to sound jaded like that, but its true.
          Etiquette, one aspect of decorum, is the code that governs the expectations of social behavior, the conventional norm. It is an unwritten code, but it may be codified in written form.

Suggestion
          is the name given to the psychological process by which one person may guide the thoughts, feelings or behaviour of another.

Perhaps I should have called it suggestions then I do not see my points as rules, just as fair options people can use. They don't have to, but I will.

@Godbeast, well I'll have to make some screenshots then because I'm frankly getting annoyed with gaining 0 gp at almost each adventure
          Fret and fear, for Europe is near.

Desmonia Flashir

GBX: I'm a level 20 programmer for sure in real life. I know more about CPU's, software, Windows, etc, than most people know about their own children.

Comment

@Clutch: hey, my bard's been playing since the beginning of the wipe. Guess how much money I've made total....600 (and that INCLUDES my starting gold).

Trust me though, I agree with you 100%, its just that everyone feels like their share should be bigger, which avalaches into, whomever gets it first, and Im going to sel this worthless magic item (for me) to make up for the loot I lost out on...

I dont mean to make this thread an angry one, its just a sensative subject to me, as it reflects on how many ppl came in from WOW, or Ragnarok, or whatever cut n' paste mmo there is out there.

Comment

Seriously, I'd like nothing more than to ban these people. Why doesn't anyone give me things to work with?

Comment

For the most part, things like copper rings/necklaces, and 1-20 gold, while some people might be very anal about it, I don't really say anything about that loot until I get something like a silver necklace/ring or any weapon / enchanted item. I point out scrolls too.
                "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
                - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I've likely been a bit bad on these rules, but I will try to do them to the best of my ability. Hopefully my giving away of high level items has made up for anything bad I've done. :O

Comment

Its not really that hard unless you make it hard. Just take turns with the loot, how difficult is that?
                    "My dual blades shall seek those who defy nature's art. For the spirit of the forest lives within my heart."
                    ~Telemir Arelieth - Ranger of Chauntea

Comment

For some people, you'd be surprised. ;P

Comment

Or divide the resulting coins. I'd hope RP'ers know how to use calculators

Comment

Also, for a note... talk to them and ask for some gold before you try to fetch a ban, eh?

Comment

Hopefullyl this seems okay with everyone, but I usually handle loot IC rather than deciding out of character. I play a rogue, that isn't money hungry, but money is important to him (and hopefully it's realized this is for IC reasons, not because I, as a player, want the best gear). If I'm lucky enough to get some loot, I usually keep quiet about it. If someone asks what I got, I usually reply, "Some old looking helmet". I also usually hold onto random items to show if they see the item. If someone asks me OOC (Nobody has) if if that was really what I got, I'll tell them no, and if they want to challenge it IC (Which seems like metagaming - but since there's no way to really see IC what it is, I usually go along) I always RP through it. In case this is looked down upon, I haven't gotten but two decent items in my many hours here, and I'd be happy to give them up OOC to compensate. Want to make sure as I go along, I'm playing fair (or at least OOC fair). Pycroft isn't the fairest of the bunch.

Pycroft - Rogue with no home.

Comment

Sadly, loot is officially out-of-character unless the entire party agrees it's in character.

Comment

Working...
                              X