Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Divine Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divine Champion?

I was wondering what kind of thoughts DMs had towards Divine Champions.. I see them as following only their Deity's beliefs with little regard to the law (unless their deity respects the law).

So I'm wondering if I were a Divine Champion with a Lawful Good Deity - What would be the consequences of me heading chaotic or evil? Do Divine Champions fall from the graces of their Deity like Paladins do if they disregard their Deity's thoughts and respects?
    "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
    Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Originally posted by Lollercide
    I'm wondering if I were a Divine Champion with a Lawful Good Deity - What would be the consequences of me heading chaotic or evil? Do Divine Champions fall from the graces of their Deity like Paladins do if they disregard their Deity's thoughts and respects?
    The answer is yes!
    I got one leg missin'
    How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
    Meet the Feebles

Comment

If Hano Fetten goes CE then I may have to kill you.
      Not even Ilmater would suffer Dune and Mach's wrath for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Dune View Post
        If Hano Fetten goes CE then I may have to kill you.
        Nah. I think I'm going to take pride in being one of the few reliable LG characters. Not really planning on going Divine Champion either, but was curious to the differences/similarities between Paladins and Divine Champions

Should a Paladin of Torm consider a Divine Champion of Torm a brother? Or maybe more?
        "Kaeldorn hates players." -Albert Einstein

Originally posted by DM Cornuto
        Lollercide coming back to the server, that dude's the Kobe Bryant of meta-gaming.

Comment

"These holy warriors are loved by thier patron's worshippers and hated by the church enemies in equal measures."

Comment

Divine champions are pretty much the will of their diety, I think. Like Nulinus!
            Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
            "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

How many Divine Champions is a single deity liable to have? Should they be rare, or perhaps even unique to their deity, as being THE Divine Champion?
              Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

I don't think there could be a real limit but I would see them as the 'best of the best' of thier deity.

Comment

I generally wouldn't consider divine champions anywhere close to paladins/blackguards/antipaladins/clerics/etc. as far as divine status. I think they are best thought of as more along the lines of as a few steps above a layperson. They have more devotion and ties to the god and church and get certain benefits from that, but they still can't cast spells, which is the real power from any god. They don't have the same understanding and wisdom as a paladin/blackguard and certainly not a cleric, because if they did, then they would be a paladin/blackguard/whatever or cleric. And, probably most importantly, they aren't held to the same standards as the other divine classes.

Comment

I kind of have to disagree. Because Divine Champion is a PRC, it's not necessarily unlikely that the divine champion is also a paladin or cleric. I think that would be accurate when considering a non-paladin/cleric becoming a divine champion. When a paladin or cleric takes divine champion it could be seen as forming an even stronger bond with their deity. Although the name seems a bit deceiving to me, I already see paladins and clerics as a gods divine champions.
                    Akodo
                    Rhime - or is he?

Comment

Mr. Flynn can technically take levels in Divine Champion. 'nuf said.
                      "Mad" Jack Flynn - "Godless wanderer"

Comment

Well, I found a description.

"The divine champion is the strong right arm of their deity. They serve as a guardian of holy sites, a protector of pilgrims and a leader of crusades. Though paladins fill these roles in many good-aligned churchs, a divine champion can take up the banner of any deity, regardless of alignment or ethos. These holy warriors are loved by their patron's worshipers and hated by the church's enemies in equal measure. Most champions come from a combat or military background. Barbarians, fighters, paladins, and rangers are the most common candidates, though monks, clerics, and the more militant druids frequently pursue this path as well."
                        Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
                        "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

So, in other words, they're just "paladins of not necessarily Lawful Good deities" ?

Slightly unrelated, but I was considering having Peri (for those who know her) becoming a divine champion. Sadly, her Charisma is 8, which means most of the powers of that PrC will be pretty useless.
                          Characters:
                          Pericles Redfoot
                          Wings

Comment

Working...
                          X