Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Charisma

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Charisma

Disclaimer
    This is not intended as a way to initiate a discussion of the right way to play charisma, or anything of that nature. There are plenty of ways that high/low charisma can be RPed.

What I wanted to say
    There are alot of PCs running around with very low charisma scores. This should be taken into account in RP. I don't neccesarily care how, but think of something. This isn't a stat which simply represents how pretty/ugly your PC is. It relates to their presence and ability to influence others (this could be due to all sorts of aspects of the character). If your charisma is 8 (or dare I say it even 6), this should mean something about how they interact with others.

A bunch of appropriate skills (bluff, diplomacy, intimidate, perform, etc) could well act to counterbalance a low CHA in certain circumstances through applying learnt behaviours. Other PCs don't know your CHA stat, so it's up to you to convey it somehow (there's no right way to do this, but try to think of something!). I, on the other hand, do know people's charisma scores. If you have 8 charisma and a -1 bluff/diplomacy/intimidate skill then don't expect your attempts to lie to, sweet talk, and scare NPCs to be taken seriously unless there's some very convincing reason why they should be.

High charisma is also hard to RP, but I'm not posting so much about that as I am about people taking very low charisma scores and then largely ignoring this in their RP.

I'm not a stat/skill number fascist by any means. But, when such things are actually extreme then they ought to be taken into account.

If low charisma isn't intended to be part of your character's RP, then consider not taking it (do you really need that extra point of strength you got by reducing your charisma from average to totally crapful?).

On the flipside, I've seen some people doing a good job with their low charisma scores... but this is the exception rather than the rule (unlike with low wisdom and intelligence which people largely RP well).

There are two issues here I think. One is that it's probably the hardest stat to nail down in terms of what it should mean... the problem is then compounded by the fact that in terms of game mechanics it's pretty easy to do without in many situations.

This isn't meant to be telling people off or anything of that nature, I promise. I just suspect people may not be considering this, and it'd be cool if they did!
    I got one leg missin'
    How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
    Meet the Feebles

I have a PC with the dreaded 8 charisma.

She is annoying, and I RP her that way.
    Yup, I put a signature in..

Comment

I wholeheartedly agree and hope that people do RP all their stats. This is a roleplay server if I remember correctly

Comment

Huebi my little Hin rogue that everyone loves her personality has an 8 charisma it doesnt mean she is ugly at all in fact her looks are rather average. Now take into account that her Pattened "Yep yep" to end most sentances has caused people to love her and she may be considered a charcter with a higher then average charisma. On teh other side though she has a habit of not always ending the conversation when she is supposed to rambles on in some god forsaken rant that will take you from the subject at hand thru a world of adventure to some off topic about nana's view on cows and the price of eggs and back again often leaving the hapless victim either finding reason to be elsewhere or scratching their head and then blowing off what she had to say. That part I feel is a good example of a trait that would lead to a lower charisma.

Ooh and dammit its not her fault ya'll love it when she says "yep yep"

Comment

My Hal-Orc warrior is blessed with a CHA of 6. I RP this by portraying him as an elitist, blunt, A-hole. On the flipside, he also has an INT of 13, so he's not running around grunting out conversation like your typical Half-Orc.

I'm sure there are several people on the forums that have had the "pleasure" of running into him

I also applied a high level of intimidate to the character, since I felt it matched his personality quite a bit.

Comment

Oh yeah, Sam loves running into that guy. It's always like a face-off or something whenever they meet....

On that note, I portray Sam's 9 CHA with his funny way of speaking and his general weirdness. I hope everyone got that =P
            Characters:
            Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
            Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
            If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

My fighter laun has her mental stats at 8 and her always asks questions, doesn't know how to react to situations, and thinks magic is just pretty colors.
              Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
              "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

I love Sam...I thought his speaking was part of a personality disorder though, and not a low CHA score. He's an incredibly well RP'ed char.

Comment

Yeah thats one thing I wondered. If you have a decent INT and a crap CHA, would you be just like a snob nosed jack ass that doestn know how to speak clearly? I mean with a good INT you can be smart, but that doesnt mean you know how to speak clearly and know how to come back with witty snappy comebacks.

Comment

Charisma is your force of personality, your ability to inspire those around you, and attract their attention and admiration despite your physical characteristics. It also can be played in the case of a villanous character as a powerful presence of dread whenever you enter the room, an air of absolute authority allthough you have never met this man before. Charisma is not always how you speak, but it includes your mere presence and your reactions to personal interactions.

You can be a genius with an intelligence of 22, but be a complete buffon in the presence of others when it comes to social interaction. Along with an inspid spineless personality that wouldn't get you noticed even if you were standing right in front of someones face.

If you were all alone in the desert, Charisma would mean nothing. It takes two players to see the effects of Charisma.
                    Current Player Of: Aden Astartes, Orren Baneshollow, Amnius, Kord Illumen and Lotho

Comment

Well, for exanple, in my characters case he simply hates any other race other than the Orcs. He believes the humans, dwarves, elves, etc. have punished his people for far too long and he makes no exceptions regarding his disdain when speaking with them.

He believes them to be inferior and weak, hiding behind established laws to ensure their safety.

Comment

Unless your a sorcerer or bard who casts spells. I get your point though.
                        Lauan - knight of Thay " I have no fear, and death is merely an inconvenience to me. I do not die until ordered to do so, I do not fall until every last bit of life has left me. I stand tall, proud, a Thayan knight."

Adeodatus Exitium -
                        "Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." — James Baldwin

Comment

Originally posted by Sojourn View Post
                          I love Sam...I thought his speaking was part of a personality disorder though, and not a low CHA score. He's an incredibly well RP'ed char.

Um, yeah, what you said. Honestly, I just leave it up to people to figure it out themselves. I've heard everything from people thinking I got hit in the head to having something stuck in my throat. But I actually really like your Half-Orc, he's rather unique as far as Half-Orcs go. Not to mention he really does get on my nerves, so you're definitley doing something right as far as RP, lol.
                          Characters:
                          Peridan Twilight, one-eyed dog of the Legion, deceased.
                          Daniel Nobody, adventurer and part time problem solver.

[DM] Poltergeist :
                          If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge an intermediate deity's unbridled fury.

Comment

It was an amusing exchange actually, to find Sam, Nagrak and Shalika together for a moment in front of Moss Meet. We all have sub-par charisma, and the exchange was amusing. Nag was just totally insulting and condescending, while Sam was like whatever. Shalika of course was indignant and pissed off, and Sam had to talk her down before she got herself killed by Nag. Eventually she insulted Nag by telling him he was boring, and he left.

I make up for her low cha by maxing out her bluff skills, but she finds that she can still motivate people to do what she wants by using her intelligence to convince them.

Man, this thread makes me wanna build a bard!
                            Dahdmib Al Faruk: Whirling Ranger
                            Dordleton Grumplestout: Spelunker Gadgeteer
                            Shalika Ike: A Dark Woman with a Dark Past

Comment

Orrick has a charisma of 12, hopefully that plays on his natural showmanship. Well at least since he got his polymorph spell lol. Which I don't understand, I've walked up to complete strangers as some hideous creature like a mindflayer, and no one seems scared at all, and I'm thinking damn people, freak out already. Although, props to who ever plays Dayanne Valcorsomething I actually got a genuine RP reaction out of her yesterday heheheh.
                              Akodo
                              Rhime - or is he?

Comment

Working...
                              X