Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Powerbuilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerbuilds

So whats the policy? We're capped at 15th level, grinding is made difficult, certain classes require approval, and spells have been altered to be shorter or less powerful in some cases. With all of that done, are players absolutely free to do whatever they want in regards to their character build? Could a Cleric throw one level of Monk in, for the AC? Could a Sorcerer multiclass into Paladin or Blackguard just for the ridiculous bonus to Saves, and Divine Might/Shield?

Can it be said that anything that is possible based on the current limitations, is allowed? As long as it isn't a bug, of course. Or are there implied restrictions that are just assumed.

Personally, I think that if it fits within the current limitations, and it is justified with logical and creative RP, anything should be permitted. But what is the DM rule?
    Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

I think anything is allowed, if I remember correctly.
    Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Do you really need a response to this Kang? =P
      Current Player Of: Aden Astartes, Orren Baneshollow, Amnius, Kord Illumen and Lotho

Comment

At some point, yeah! Hopefully.
        Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Comment

Well we allready have rules that handle this, Firstly it's a roleplaying server so making paladin-RDD-Bards is impossible. Secondly all characters should have believeable backgrounds and stories, ones that don't involve famous characters, ruling kingdoms, or being the children of gods etc. Thirdly any real Role-player has the lattitude to make interesting character concepts, that may or may not be beneficial to fighting monsters, as long as they enrich the server and foster well thought out Role-play.

Everything above of course is my personal opinion mixed with the actual server rules under the FAQ etc.
          Current Player Of: Aden Astartes, Orren Baneshollow, Amnius, Kord Illumen and Lotho

Comment

I've wondered a similar topic before, it's kind of like power building, but in relation to stats not the classes. I had wondered if when building your character, if you really need to look at the stats for how you are going to play your character or if the stats are a meta element and have no bearing on your character at all. I.e. just because your warrior maxed out his str and con and only has 6 int and 8 wis do you have to role play him as an idiot or can he be just as intelligent as the mage next to him who's got 19 int and 12 wis. Some people have said yes stats should correspond, and others say they shouldn't but I've never heard a DM make a ruling for it. The closest I believe I remember a DM saying was GBX (I could be wrong but I believe it was him) who said in a post when he builds his characters the stats he puts in don't have to reflect any part of the character. I would really like to hear what the DM's have to say, up until now I've been building mine to correspond to RP incase they ruled that way, I didn't want to have to redistribute my stats or something down the road.

Edit: I forgot to type it, but I have looked for the post from GBX before and after over an hour I couldn't find it, but if anyone else remembers it and knows where to find it, feel free to link it.
            Akodo
            Rhime - or is he?

Comment

Only blatent use of powerbuilds (IE 19 Sorcerer 1 Paladin) will be subject to penalization at DM descretion.
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Cool, thanks for the rather quick reply, Saulus.

Comment

Bard 7 Ftr 2 Pale 5 FTW
                  Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                    Only blatent use of powerbuilds (IE 19 Sorcerer 1 Paladin) will be subject to penalization at DM descretion.
                    This seems rather odd to me. A level dip like that isn't even power building. All you're doing is sparing yourself fear effects, while useful, I wouldn't consider it worth the spell loss. If you go paladin 2, then you get good saves, but you lose the highest spell level you would otherwise have, not really worth the trade off, but not something worth punishing people for wanting to make sorcerers with a touch of holiness. Jack's character, for example, was built for power, at a few costs, and he's been an awesome character to RP and is overall a lot of fun. I think the only time powerbuilding is a problem is if you manage to make a character who's strength unbalances the server. The already weak sorcerer losing what few high level spells he does get in the name of better saves doesn't fit the bill for me.
                    "Mad" Jack Flynn - "Godless wanderer"

Comment

I went for a Monk/Druid/CoT on NWN1, on a low-magic server like Sundren. 70AC, 50AB, +6 Claws in Dragonshape form, Improved Knockdown and Improved Disarm, 1000hp, constant True Sight, constant immunity to sneak attack, being flanked, paralysis, knockdown effects...

Does that count as unbalancing?

Heh.

And I agree with Draco here. I didn't realize Paladins only got the Save bonus at second level, rather than first. That makes a huge difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty_Draco View Post
                        All you're doing is sparing yourself fear effects, while useful, I wouldn't consider it worth the spell loss.
                        What the paladin level does is mainly give proficiency in light to heavy armor , shield and simple as well as martial weapons.

Oh and smite evil.

A level one paladin is not immune to fear... that is granted by the following feat :

Aura of Courage

Type of feat: Class

Prerequisite: Cleric with the Good domain, Paladin level 3

Required for: None

Specifics: The player is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of him also gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

Use: Automatic

Comment

Actually, you mentioned level 2 paladin taking away the sorcerer's ability to cast level 9 spells, but it doesn't, they get that ability at level 18. What paladin level 2 would do for them is grant them smite evil, the proficiencies and the ability divine grace in which they add their charisma modifier to their ability saves. For a sorcerer even on our server that could equate to like a +6-9 bonus to all saves.
                          Akodo
                          Rhime - or is he?

Comment

I think where the power builds really become stupid and are not RPd is when someone takes a 6 intelligence, charisma, or 6 wisdom so that they can max out their strength and constitution and then run around as if they are the most intelligence, charismatic, or wise person in the universe.

If you look at some of the threads we have had before, 6 or lower is basically a moron, no common sense, or a social retard and wouldn't be doing much but grunting and using small words if that. However, I have witnessed people with 6 intelligence using lore as if they are arcane scholars and basically being the smartest person in the group.

Come on, it is an RP server and to take way low stats just so you can bash anything around is contrary to the server and its goals. IMO, you take low stats, you should have to RP those stats.

Comment

Good point Pagan, I agree. 6's are pretty absurd, but if you take them, I think you should act them out. Besides, FLAWS are part of character design. The most memorable characters I encounter are those that can effectively show off weakness--it humanizes the roleplay.

I would hope that folks can justify paladin ranks in their backstory if they take even one rank, personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X