Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does UMD work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does UMD work?

I have two characters with the same level of UMD but scrolls seem to work differently. How is the DC set, and what other modifiers are there to UMD? Can you take 20 on the UMD roll?

Thanks,
    Shad

Wikia to the rescue!

Comment

There is currently an Obsidian bug that does not calculate the DC for scrolls correctly.
      sigpic
      Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

There is a custom script of some kind at work, for one of my characters at least the DC is listed as 25+ spell level (I tried 0, 1 and 2nd level spells). However it works should be put in the Faq.

Shad

Comment

For some classes it's broken, and they don't need to roll.
          Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Originally posted by Shadoweaver View Post
            There is a custom script of some kind at work, for one of my characters at least the DC is listed as 25+ spell level (I tried 0, 1 and 2nd level spells). However it works should be put in the Faq.

Shad
            There is no custom script at work for this nor is it possible to modify this functionality as it is hardcoded. The only change is in the campaign settings. This is again another case of an Obsidian bug.
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Who cares if its hardcoded?

BAN UMD!!!1!!11
              Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

I don't think it should be banned. However, it should be limited to Rogues and such.
                sigpic
                Corvus Corax - Tracker, Scout, Spy, and finder of lost shadows

Comment

If it ever gets fixed, I wanna see some kinda bonus for bards.
                  Val Evra - Wandmaker and Wanderer

Comment

Originally posted by rustediron View Post
                    For some classes it's broken, and they don't need to roll.
                    This must be the case for my wizard as he can use divine scrolls with no failure chance. What should I do about this? Use them at the 25+ spell level DC? not use them at all?

Shad

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                      There is no custom script at work for this nor is it possible to modify this functionality as it is hardcoded. The only change is in the campaign settings. This is again another case of an Obsidian bug.
                      I was on a previous server and they made extensive changes to the DC of UMD for scrolls, and also switch it so you could use spellcraft for it. Would you like me to put you in touch with one of their devs?

Shad

Comment

Originally posted by joker View Post
                        I don't think it should be banned. However, it should be limited to Rogues and such.
                        lol, I was absolutely joking.
                        Pyras: Red Wizard of Thay, High Arcanist of Illusion, Master of the Enclave's Knight Commander.

Currently taking apprentices, and conducting research.

Comment

I looks to be working correctly, as far as calculated DCs.
                          ~ Sigrun Hael - Ranger of the Viridale

~ Aoden Haven - Former Swordcaptain

Comment

I say don't change it. If you really want to use high level scrolls, then you are going to have to put a bunch of stuff into UMD. Also, it was the able learner feat that really screwed things up anyway.

If I remember correctly, if you are not a mage that has the spell, then you always have a chance of failing your ability to read the magic correctly and discharge the spell. Even a mage can sometimes fail to scribe a scroll or memorize a spell.

A rogue or some other type that has UMD would have a hard time reading and intoning correctly, especially if they are high level spells. I remember in NWN1 rogues and such with high UMD using timestop scrolls. That was really ludicrous! That should be one of the hardest spells to cast even as a high level mage, so why should a rogue be able to do it?

Comment

I wish people would actually do some real testing before making judgements on this. I have and its pretty much a useless skill for Rogues at this time. The odds are just so low that people will never use it unless they have a couple of million to waste casting dud spells over and over. A level 1 spell has a DC of 25, that means a level 10 would have a 50% chance of casting a level 1 spell. The DC rating is supposed to be determined from the value of the object, which is not how scrolls are working now.
                              Active Characters:
                              Tassafina Lightleaf - A little sneaky but not as sneaky as Ithil

Silivren Anar
                              Merka Gillina

Hideing outs:
                              Alyssa Swiftwing - Priestess of Yondalla
                              Ravenne Naur'Loki - Roar!

Comment

Working...
                              X