Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we at least try to avoid anachronisms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we at least try to avoid anachronisms?

"Awesome!"
    "Crap!"
    "I got bent over!"

Wow. Talk about good roleplay.

Awesome? Crap? So...?

Why do you think "LOL This is medival settings." No, this is FR Settings. if it was medieval, we wouldn't have sewers anyways...

I don't see a problem with Crap or Awesome. Bent over, meh, i don't mind it so much.

Comment

Plainly put, no-one cares.

Comment

You won't see words and sayings like that very often in a FR novel. Granted, many people don't really care, but like the thread subject says it wouldn't hurt to at least try to avoid them.

Comment

Originally posted by undeadsteak View Post
          Awesome? Crap? So...?

if it was medieval, we wouldn't have sewers anyways...
          Why??

Medieval Italy had Sewers
          "We are what we think.
          All that we are arises with our thoughts.
          With our thoughts, we make our world"

Comment

Open sewers...also known as drains...with floating "poo" in open air.

I'm not sure if I'd call that an improvement per se.
            Don't run...you'll only die tired.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelofSteel
              "Awesome!"
              "Crap!"
              "I got bent over!"

Originally posted by Echelon13 View Post
              Plainly put, no-one cares.
              I'll use Echelon's, because this thread is stupid on so many levels.

:Edit: Perhaps not stupid, I can understand where you're coming from, it's just fairly unrealistic to expect this sort of thing to change to 'Thines' and 'Thous'. If you're that upset by it, maybe LARPing is better, I heard they use that sort of language then.
              "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
              - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I agree with the fact that this thread is a tad pointless, I mean, heck sometimes it can be hard to avoid anachronisms and such because we live in a time in which we use anachronisms and slang every two words, besides, why do you have to care? If the other guy uses anachronisms in his RP... whatever.

Also, there are some words that are not anachronisms by nature, but were made so with time, a good example would be "awesome"; sure there aren't many uses for it in dialog, but it can easily be used in story-telling and emoting.

Buuuut... yeah... this thread is a tad pointless.

:Edit: Perhaps not stupid, I can understand where you're coming from, it's just fairly unrealistic to expect this sort of thing to change to 'Thines' and 'Thous'. If you're that upset by it, maybe LARPing is better, I heard they use that sort of language then.
                Unrealistic? Why? Roleplay with Archaic english would be seriously impressive; "Thou hath the right to have thy tush smote by thine righteous paladin.". Sure mostly everyone does not know enough of it, but it would be quite nice.
                (IG Username: Baardago)
                Characters:
                Gabriel Thorne Arianis, Favored of Tyr.

"Love doesn't lead to the dark side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled, but passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love, that's what they should teach you to beware, but love itself will save, not condemn you."
                ?Jolee Bindo

Comment

Nergh. I'd find that a bit annoying, if everybody RPed like Baardago said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dranius View Post
                    Unrealistic? Why?

Because you'd be expecting everyone to conform to the style of roleplay you like rather than the one they like.
                    "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
                    - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I don't have problems with it if it's used properly. Such as with Judge Morte for example:

"That human chick is totally not wearing any underwear *casts Truesight*.... Oh man... awesome."

Haha, I laughed for five minutes.
                      Hlaine Eren Myr - Eternally arguing with his sadistic cat.

Patience Allows - Roaming the country-side kickin' jimmys and harassing freaks.

Comment

Originally posted by WheelofSteel
                        "Awesome!"
                        "Crap!"
                        "I got bent over!"

They annoy me, but then im english and the way americans talk is daft anyway...

Seriously though, the above examples seem fine, I get annoyed by 'dude' and text speak though.

On the Judge Morte and co. thing... has Echelon been reading Planescape material lately?... s'funny man.
                        "Im a hero hunter, I hunt heroes... I havn't found any yet"

Comment

It was a nod to Planescape, yeah.

Comment

Morte!! Woot!

Seriously though, I think there is value in speech variety, and even if some expressions probably didn't exist back in the medieval days, some are so colorful and strikingly precise to a character's personnality that I believe they should still be employed. I might flip out if I hear someone talk about Rap or IPods, but that's another category of anachronisms...
                            Drado Nackle, gnome scholar of the Weave
                            Roger Datson, swashbuckler and booty-seeker
                            "Mercy? You wanted mercy?! I'M CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!!"

Comment

Personally I prefer to use modern English simply because it sounds nice. Old style English sounds horrible. Thees and thous are ugly. I prefer to sound natural instead of forcing myself to use language that I can't speak naturally just to attempt to fit in with the period. I might prefer realism over fantasy elements in many cases, but with language, modern English is just so much better and clearer.
                              -Arcanist Josirah Caranos, Red Wizard of Thay

Comment

Working...
                              X