Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going Over Our Heads - STOP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Over Our Heads - STOP!

Good morning players of Sundren,

No, this topic is not about planes or any sort of flying object. However, it is about something that is on the rise - my blood pressure.

It annoys the hell out of other DMs and myself when players assume things, go out and do something, and then don't expect that it'll impact any plots or factions. WRONG. It is, in fact, to the contrary; if you are going to do something which you think might have to do something with what we're doing behind the scenes, then please, for the love of God, tell us.

I will use a recent example: Blue Wyrm's post in the 'rumours' forum stating that the Shadow Thieves are offering a bounty. Now, players may not know this, but they have a reason for being in the Valley, they have a reason for not making themselves known, and they have a reason for why they're not going out there and putting up bounties.

Usually, I wouldn't have a problem with this kind of bounty thingo - it's just that an important faction has been used without regard to the plans of the DM; and, as I said above, we hate it when people do that.

If you think that something you are going to do may affect a faction, or a currently progressing plotline, or my sanity; please contact us and ask so you don't find me knocking on your door, because I don't sell cookies; but I do have an excess of unbridled rage.

While we are on things that we hate...

I hate when you're in a forest and the DM is trying to start a plotline (I think) and trolls running around and attacking the party and various creatures of the forest and you get... a) players running around randomly killing everything in sight b) No stopping, thinking and/or RPing to thus facilitate a DM adventure c) then suggest to head to a different area across Sundren itself oocly.

Sorry to whichever DM that was... I feel for ya and for all DMs that deal with this for that matter.

Comment

Hello,

I sent a PM to Echelon to apologize, and removed the aforementioned post from the forums. I swear it didn't come from an intent to piss off DMs, but oppositely an intent to make their work easier by taking a little initiative and making a minor player-run event. It would've involved some tracking down, perhaps poisoning or a trap, then a bit of RPed PvP, then I'd have given the player some money for his troubles and went with him to write a RP post to further both our stories.

Since there is a public discussion here about it, I would like to suggest the creation of a sticky detailing the current ongoing storylines and the current factions/groups overseered by a DM. That way, if someone feels his character should be part of something he's currenly totally out of, or if he wants to do something else than grind monsters or roast marshmellows without stepping on eggs, he's informed right there before it makes a move. We have fantastic DMs on Sundren who run tons of fun stuff, but unless we happen to be at the right place at the right moment, we just are totally in the dark as to what's happening. It's just as impossible to include everyone in events, with all the varying motivations of characters, not to mention the horrible logistics and server lag it would lead to. Consequently, I think that being informed OOCly of what's going on in Sundren would have positive outcomes on all sides; current players not stepping on toes (i.e. answering: "Is there a DM contact if I want to play a Harper, or am I just a lone operative in this corner of Faerun?") and potential players having a look around the forums and saying "Oooh, cool, this and that happened, this server's pretty proactive!".
      Last edited by Blue_Wyrm; 11-21-2007, 12:22 PM.
      Drado Nackle, gnome scholar of the Weave
      Roger Datson, swashbuckler and booty-seeker
      "Mercy? You wanted mercy?! I'M CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!!"

Comment

Since there is a public discussion here about it, I would like to suggest the creation of a sticky detailing the current ongoing storylines and the current factions/groups overseered by a DM. That way, if someone feels his character should be part of something he's currenly totally out of, or if he wants to do something else than grind monsters or roast marshmellows without stepping on eggs, he's informed right there before it makes a move. We have fantastic DMs on Sundren who run tons of fun stuff, but unless we happen to be at the right place at the right moment, we just are totally in the dark as to what's happening. It's just as impossible to include everyone in events, with all the varying motivations of characters, not to mention the horrible logistics and server lag it would lead to. Consequently, I think that being informed OOCly of what's going on in Sundren would have positive outcomes on all sides; current players not stepping on toes and potential players having a look around the forums and saying "Oooh, cool, this and that happened, this server's pretty proactive!".
        As a new player, I couldn't agree more. My playing time is limited so trying to hang out in the crossroads and get up to speed on who is who and what is occuring is daunting. Knowing what storylines are in progress would allow me to reach out to key players or characters and integrate my RP.

Comment

A lore, or current event thread was discussed some time ago and I thought it was going to be implemented. I too would greatly like to see this done as my time IG has been sporatic at best and I am completely lost when it comes to current events.
          This does make RP'ing very difficult when all you do is ask questions.
          Thain

Astin

Dergil

Comment

Wait, I am a new player too, and was wondering what this was about exactly. Players were making their own events and messing up with DM events? Thats what I am pulling out of this right now. Just wondering.

Comment

Good guys also might get more progress against evils if they told the DMs their plans BEFORE they show up and attempt them. Helps us plan outcomes and know what effect occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
                Good guys also might get more progress against evils if they told the DMs their plans BEFORE they show up and attempt them. Helps us plan outcomes and know what effect occurs.
                This is probably the key... Good guys, remember to engage with the DMs, they don't just love the evilzor players, I promise!
                I got one leg missin'
                How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                Meet the Feebles

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt9101 View Post
                  Wait, I am a new player too, and was wondering what this was about exactly. Players were making their own events and messing up with DM events? Thats what I am pulling out of this right now. Just wondering.
                  This is about:

-Talking to an available DM before setting up an event to see if it is feasible and fits with the Sundren lore.

-Not god-moding known Sundrenite/Fearunian organizations because chances are that a DM is already taking care of moving its pieces on the chessboard.
                  Drado Nackle, gnome scholar of the Weave
                  Roger Datson, swashbuckler and booty-seeker
                  "Mercy? You wanted mercy?! I'M CHAOTIC NEUTRAL!!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X