Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some General Questions Regarding the Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some General Questions Regarding the Beta

I had a few questions about the upcoming beta which I wanted to put out there for anyone else who was wondering about it.
    1. The first being; how long is this beta expected to last? I really want to take part in it as much as possible but I expect to be out of town often over the next few weeks and I don't want to miss out on the experience.
    2. Also; will our beta characters carry onto the final release of Sundren or should we expect to have them wiped once all the bugs are worked out?
    3. And finally; will there be a specific part of the forum where we should post our comments and criticisms about the beta or should be just post them in the Bugs/Suggestions forum?

Thanks, and if you don't have answers to these questions yet, no worries.
    - Faltru

Just post your comments in the bugs/suggestions forum. Also, the beta will not close... it will remain open as we update the server. The beta is a polite way of saying this is not done, and needs testing.

There is a small but possible chance characters may be wiped... I say this now just so in the unlikely event that it does happen, I don't have an angry forum.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I had a question come up while at work... How useful will diplomacy be in the game? Intimidation? Charisma period? I've always found these to be underused skills in PWs and wondered how they would be addressed here.
      Thank you.

Maleficus "Ravenor" Carnificis
      "Dreams... such fertile ground for the seeds of torment. I can sense your ripeness and, oddly enough, it is time for the harvest. Please, save your tears... I intend to reap your sorrow slowly and have ages to discover the things that make you suffer... I am eager to revel in the sweet melody of your screams and the melancholy of your despair..."
      Eldraxus Tzyvioq
      Mystic Theurge (and Harper) of Deneir wandering the Sundered Valley in search of (and with the intention of mapping out) places of power, ley-line intersections, and other locations where the divine and arcane intersect...

Comment

I will be handling them the same way the player's handbook does. They will affect disposition towards your character. However, while they can convince someone to do something they cannot be used to force another PC into -any- action unless the player of said PC consents to the rp. Also, please use and back the skills up with actual roleplay. It will affect the DC of success against my NPCs for better or worse.
        -Harbinger of Justice

Death:"Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."

Woman: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little--"

Death: "Yes. As Practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies."

Woman: "So we can belive the big ones?"

Death: "Yes. Justice. Mercy. Duty. Things of that nature."

Comment

I think what VFoxCraft wished to say is, they will be taken into account when applicable. Do not expect a happy DM if you try to Bluff your way out of a situation and have 8 Charisma and no points in Bluff.

I for one have found social skills to be very important on PW's.

Comment

Also, player whipes only occur if mistakes are made in character progression.

An example mechanically would be if everyone hits level 20 too quickly and we accidentally unbalanced loot drops and things of this nature. Basically, your character became a legend in a week and we meant it to take awhile... that I believe would be the only reason to whipe mechanically.

Technically would be if we had to make a huge change that characters but it was not compatible with previous characters. This I don't forsee occurring.

Comment

Not exactly what I meant, GodBeast. What I meant was I don't want you strolling up to someone and saying "give me money" and rolling a bluff check. You better lead into it, give reasons, be convincing in the case of diplomacy or fake a sob story, etc. when it comes to Bluff. Use of social skills without corresponding RP is not something I largely appreciate.
              -Harbinger of Justice

Death:"Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."

Death: "Yes. As Practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies."

Comment

A great solution to the problem mentioned above by GodBeast and VFox would be to implement a device to roll skill checks and other checks that stimulate rp and make it valid. If the PC has a charisma of 8, he'd probably have a low bluff modifier, and if he uses the widget to roll a bluff check, his score will be determined by the roll plus modifier, while the other PC rolls maybe a counter Bluff...the one with the higher score wins and the rp will be lead in that direction. This saves alot of nonsense rp scenarios where players don't roleplay their stats accordingly. I'm not sure if we are going to implement such a device by open beta, but in the mean time I'll search around for something of this nature anyway and will get back to you guys on it.
                Last edited by Silverstaff; 02-05-2007, 06:27 PM.
                As the moon shines down upon the darkened land, a lone mage sits with spell in thought and book in hand.

Comment

I'm fairly sure there will be a custom dicebag, so to speak, and the modifiers will be based off of the base score. However, as with real D&D there are many miscellaneous modifiers, such as if you're drow and suspicious you'd get a +2-5 DC on the bluff check depending on who you're trying to fool.
                  -Harbinger of Justice

Comment

Dicebag comes with DMFI. There's a 90% chance it will be in the open beta.
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by VFoxcraft View Post
                      Not exactly what I meant, GodBeast. What I meant was I don't want you strolling up to someone and saying "give me money" and rolling a bluff check. You better lead into it, give reasons, be convincing in the case of diplomacy or fake a sob story, etc. when it comes to Bluff. Use of social skills without corresponding RP is not something I largely appreciate.
                      Sorry, my reply was more for the original poster who asked if Social Skills would be used. I was basically saying "Yes, they will" to him. Not trying to change your message meaning And I agree, going "*Bluffs*" as your replies isn't good. I thought that was a given though

Comment

I didn't quite get this. So does the fact that there might not be a character wipe-out mean that we can play the intented character, or is it better just to try out some other characters or builds?
                        I have come so far.. Crawled away from the corner of your eye..

Character: Silka

Comment

It means there is a very small chance you will have to start your character over from the beta if we do a wipe. It's a small chance but still a chance.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                          X