Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC vs Damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC vs Damage?

Well I have a question that I only trust you folks to help me on.

On another server (dodges boot) I have a level toon reaching level 30 and I am down to my last feat. Not sure if I should go for 1 more AC (armor skin) to +2 to damage (Combat Insight). Or something completely different like Epic Deflection.

The AC is all the time but the Damage would be during the duration of a spell (foxes cunning) otherwise only +1 due to my Int is greater that my Str.

A bit about the toon. It is a dual wielding HIPSer.

At build end (without the above feat) it will have the following:
    • AC 48 (52 with wand for short durations)
    • Dam 13-46 more with fire but for very short durations. Note this includes 5d6 sneek.
    • 14 Attacks per round
    • Feint & Expose Weakness

Thoughts my good friends?

Nez

Side note, I am not leaving nor is that taking away from my Sundren time. Just have 1 more level to complete and is has been bugging me. and yes I have the flip the light switch 5 times :P
    Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
    Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
    Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
    Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

I'm usually tempted to go with AC over damage in the hopes that if I survive long enough, I'll do enough damage anyway. However it depends on the server, because if enemies are reliably getting through that AC anyway, it doesn't help much. For Sundren, for instance, AC doesn't really help against the daily, but it does help against mid-high level regular mobs.
    Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
    "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
    UTC -4

Comment

I agree, AC is my preferred approach. I always attempt to build the highest AC possible over AB. Sometimes it is like watching paint dry when my characters attack, but at least they are still standing.
      Cheers!

Comment

Combat Insight isn't worth it for +2 damage. Armor Skin, though, is only +1 natural armor; do you not already have other sources of natural armor (Barkskin, Amulet of Natural Armor, etc.)? If you do, then Armor Skin won't give you any benefit because natural armor bonuses don't stack.

Epic Deflection would give you the best return on your investment among the choices you listed.
        Originally posted by Cornuto
        Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Originally posted by roguethree View Post
          Combat Insight isn't worth it for +2 damage. Armor Skin, though, is only +1 natural armor; do you not already have other sources of natural armor (Barkskin, Amulet of Natural Armor, etc.)? If you do, then Armor Skin won't give you any benefit because natural armor bonuses don't stack.

Epic Deflection would give you the best return on your investment among the choices you listed.
          I thought Armor Skin changes your base AC and is not an enchantment thus stacking with barkskin. I would test that prior but I could also 2-weapon defense for the +1 AC (that does stack with the shield spell).

While I typically go for AC, being a HIPSer helps with regards to that I think [14 (18 burst) att/round & feint / death-attack]

I have not played HIPSers so I do not know how much that effects things.

Thank you,
          Nez
          Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
          Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
          Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
          Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

I thought Armor Skin changes your base AC and is not an enchantment thus stacking with barkskin.
            You're right; I got my wires crossed. So whether or not that feet is useful will depend on what your current AC is and what the attack bonuses of the things you're fighting are. If +1 AC can actually make you less hittable (e.g., most creatures need a 5 to hit you on the first attack, but now they need a 6), then it's not a terrible choice, but you might opt for Epic Deflection depending on how much ranged attacking there is on that server.
            Originally posted by Cornuto
            Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Working...
            X