Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the word on using custom GUIs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the word on using custom GUIs?

As we know, the base UI is...passable. It does the function alright, but a little lacking in certain areas.

SlimGUI looks interesting, and I may use that, but I wanted to make sure what's the server policy on custom UIs first.

Thanks!
    But please, keep one thing in mind for me. What have you become when even nightmares fear you?
    - Nessa

stop hacking hacker! :P

Comment

As long as it's not hacking the game to give you the ability to play outside of the rules, custom overrides are A-okay. That's a nice-looking override.
      Originally posted by Cornuto
      Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Good to know! I asked because I vaguely recalled a post somewhere in these forums where overrides were strongly discouraged. I had my eye on the GUI for a while because it'll finally let me carry over my DDO habit of having lots and lots of clickies readily available.
        But please, keep one thing in mind for me. What have you become when even nightmares fear you?
        - Nessa

Comment

There's still a chance it won't work because of server settings, of course. It may require Saulus green-lighting it in the server code.
          Originally posted by Cornuto
          Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

I have to believe that the disallow overrides switch is used by the server, so if that UI installs to your overrides folder then it simply should not work when you are connected to the Sundren server.

If on the other hand it installs over the content in your application directory, it might work - but I could see the potential for weirdness when your base ui resources no longer match those of the original game.
            Account Name: LuvHandles
            Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
            Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
            Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
            Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
            Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
            Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

Hmm...

The official, FAQ line is:

Can I use overrides on Sundren?
              No, anyone caught using overrides may be booted, or if intentionally using them to cheat -- banned. Overrides not only cause server instability, they also can corrupt your character file, affecting others as well as yourself. We will fully enforce this rule. Do not risk getting booted/banned, while playing on Sundren, either rename or clear your override folder.
              As far as I know that line comes from prior to the changes to pre-loading/confirming hak information that enabled some truly outrageous cheating. Thankfully those days are over - HOWEVER, they can cause problems with your character and/or stability. If they do cause your character to / connection to explode then keep in mind that resolving such issues, if it's possible, may take some time. If (somehow, and this is NWN2 so never rule it out) they do somehow cause server stability issues then Saulus may have strong words to say.

That said, they may work fine and you'll have a lovely UI to look at. I know some people have used colour overrides to expand on the hair/skin selection for better and for worse (insta-smite for non standard colour schemes)

Finally, after all that, as Snowmane says the server does have the No-Overrides toggle toggled. So it might not work anyway!
              It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
              Sydney Smith.

Comment

A whole lot of ifs for a GUI!

Considering NWN2's propensity to run on voodoo black magic, I'll hold off trying it for a better time, so even if the server implodes, there's someone on hand to yell at me, at the very least. :P
                - Nessa

Comment

Working...
                X