Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gems & all that jazz.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gems & all that jazz.

Does anyone happen to remember the 1st edition DM manual where it mentioned magical properties of gemstones?

e.g. - Diamonds had useful innate properties against undead, emeralds protected against disease, ect.

Would these concepts be of any value on the server, with respect to custom-created gear?
    Player Login: IAmTheDragon
    Active Characters: Christof d'Alucon

Something akin to what you're saying is already incorporated into the craft system. e.g. Undead bane weapons require a diamond to craft.

Read the craft recipes available in the shops (Mirakus and Thayan enclave are the main two that sell craft recipes).

Many recipes can't be bought in shops though and have to be found in rare loot drops.

If you're talking about custom as in DM-created gear, then I guess it'd depend on the DM, their mood, and the prevailing alignment of corresponding planar spheres.
    UTC+8
    Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
    Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Originally posted by thaelis View Post
      If you're talking about custom as in DM-created gear, then I guess it'd depend on the DM, their mood, and the prevailing alignment of corresponding planar spheres.
      That's kind of more along the lines of what I was thinking. I suppose it's hard to ask for a definitive answer with it resting on so many variables, but I thought it might be viable (in least in theory).

For instance, player X has collected a large amount of amber gemstones (claimed to ward off disease in page 26 of the 1st edition DMG for example), and collaborated with a jewelcrafter and DM in-game to create a badass reinforced plate helm studded with multiple amber stones.

Would this custom-made item be altered in the toolset to grant immunity (or partial immunity) to disease due to the magical properties of the gems? (Assume the DM is well-fed, has drank at least two beers, and isn't feeling particularly smitey.)
      Player Login: IAmTheDragon
      Active Characters: Christof d'Alucon

Comment

Generally we don't do custom item requests, especially if its just in reaction to things created from dropped items.

Custom items tend to be done as a result of long and in depth storytelling and work and are largely put together to suit the characters and events, not according to request.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by thaelis View Post

C'mon every DM is CE
          Hyrd - your favourite dumb Barbarian
          Kastan Finner- the Fallen
          Askeron-Necromantic lover

Comment

Working...
          X