Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NPC and Ethereal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPC and Ethereal

There was some discussion a while back about the improper use of Ethereal by players... specifically that it was considered improper to use Ethereal and then continue to cast offensive spells.

I just encountered this with an NPC. The Mindflayer was roaming about and I encountered him a few rooms away from his own hall. Granted, I was not expecting nor looking to fight him, but it happened. He attacked me and then cast Ethereal on himself and began wailing me with spells. I do not have spellcraft so I am unable to detect the spells cast. One killed me.

I am not sure if there is anything that can be done about this... but if there were I would like to see this changed. I didn't put into the suggestion forum because I could be misinformed about the spells used, yada yada.

Cheers!
    Cheers!

Any offensive spells should disable the etherealness, regardless. The problem with ethereal, is when players cast it and cast defensive spells on themselves before breaking it with an attack/offensive spell.

In this case, I'd say that the first offensive spell (because I'm not sure the mindflayer has a whole lot of defensive spells) should have broken the etherealness.
    "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Originally posted by [DM] Grinning Death View Post
      In this case, I'd say that the first offensive spell (because I'm not sure the mindflayer has a whole lot of defensive spells) should have broken the etherealness.
      It may have broken and I was unable to determine it based on my none existent spellcraft score. I don't know. Sounds like it's a non-issue.

Cheers
      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by [DM] Grinning Death View Post
        Any offensive spells should disable the etherealness, regardless. The problem with ethereal, is when players cast it and cast defensive spells on themselves before breaking it with an attack/offensive spell.

Read that in Bill Cosby's voice.

Also; isn't that the purpose of ethereal jaunt? To get a chance to reset yourself and stage to attack again? I know in PnP defensively buffing yourself while ethereal has no downside, and doesn't break etherealness as invisibility should.
        Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
        Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
        Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
        Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
        Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
        Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

The problem with ethereal, is when players cast it and cast defensive spells on themselves before breaking it with an attack/offensive spell.
          Nope. The problems are actually (1) casters buffing and healing their party members whilst ethereal without those party members also being ethereal and (2) casters using summons and other overtly offensive spells that for whatever reason don't break etherealness.

Going ethereal and then buffing yourself is perfectly fine.

Comment

Ah, my bad. Misread the rule!
            "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Working...
            X