Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious titles

I keep getting corrected in RP about the use of the title Tormtar. I think this confusion stems from wiki. Anyway, here is the sight on Torm below. For those that are lazy like me I will just tell you. Tormtar are actual priests of Torm. They are not pallies, lay brothers, or Knights from any order according to the source below. You may read about Tormtar specifically and what one is under the paragraph titled, The Church.

http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Gods/humangods/Torm.htm
    GMT -9

Miss Valentine is easier. :-)
    Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
    Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
    Well, you've probably missed it
    There was never anything there
    In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

The followers of Torm organize themselves into a three-level hierarchy of worshipers. Length and quality of service and rank are of particular importance to the followers of Torm and form the basis of the hierarchy. Specialty priests, called holy champions, make up 40% of the priesthood and often serve as the leaders of the faith. Clerics, crusaders, and paladins make up 30%, 20%, and 10% of the remaining clergy members, respectively.

The top level of the hierarchy in Torm's faith is comprised of the Tormtar, who are arranged in their own strict hierarchy. The hierarchy among Torm's disciples ascends from the Unproven (novices), to the Andurans (confirmed priests of lower rank), Faithblades, Wardens, Vigilants, Watchful Venturers, Loyans, Enforcers, Guardians, Knights, Vanguardiers, and Champions. These ranks are separate from duty-titles such as (in ascending order): Patrol Captain, Revered Messenger, Doorwarden, Seneschal, Templemaster, High Priest, and Priest Inquisitor (the teachers and internal disciplinarians of the faith).
      "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Your reference material is, unfortunately, the website of a DM for his specific campaign. I'm the one that "fixed" our own wiki in reference to the Tormtar (where it's original implication was that all Tormish are Tormtar) using reference from The Forgotten Realms Wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Torm
        http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wik...he_Golden_Lion

I tried to look this up in the 3.0 version of Faiths and Pantheons, but I was unable to find the clarification I was seeking. Unfortunately, I don't have any other applicable source books besides it and the 3.0 campaign setting book.
        Presea De'Ombre - Fist of the Broken
        Darcy Lothara - Lost Soul
        Miyu Suhayl - Defender of Beauty
        Bryna Ulric - Dark Priestess
        Merry Swiftblade - Swashbuckling Tailor

Comment

I looked it up too in 3.5. It does not say. I don't even really care, but it keeps coming up in RP and I have no idea why. I would rather not spend 20 min talking about who can call themselves what from peeps that don't even follow Torm LOL.
          GMT -9

Comment

Yeah, I understand that. Part of why I get kind of up about it is because being a Tormtar (whether by the nj-pbem definition or by the wikia one) is a special thing, more specific than being Tormish in general. I like the idea that while all Tormish are held to a specific standard, the Tormtar are held to an even higher one. One of these days I'll pull out my Tormish baby fighter for some RP with Kindra and Andelain to make up for it.

Comment

Whoever came up with these naming conventions should be summarily executed for linguistic confusion. We should take a page out of children's cartoons and go with "Tormite" and "Super Tormite", with "Super Tormite 2" being reserved for special occasions.
              Arden Doraine

Comment

Tor-MIGHT is certainly cooler sounding than Tormtard.

Much like Tempestian has a "greek" sound to it while Tempuran sounds like japanese deep fried food.

Comment

It really isn't necessary to belittle honest discussions.
                  Ghal Narish, Battle-Mage
                  Faucon De'Ombre
                  , Triadic Knight

Ulriel Gabrieth, Devout of Lathander
                  Noril De'nor, Archer ...
                  Liem Ashcroft, Miner, Smith, and Weaponsmaster

Comment

An attempt at levity gone awry. Everyone move on.

Comment

I think people should be open to call anyone else what they want, as long as it is respectful. Everyone is open to their own views and expectations, but don't be a Title-nazi about it and summarily execute people for that very reason.

If Fuzzie has one source and she wants to go by that, then fine. But don't correct her every time you RP with her because then you just seem like an Ass. (and I think the Triad forces enough people away already.)
                      Characters:

Elizabeth Brooks
                      Human Cleric of Tyr, Initiate of the Just
                      Vivian Shadechild
                      Wanderer of Innocence and Hugs

Useful Information for Casters:
                      Sundren Spell Costs | Custom Sundren Spells

Comment

Pretty sure this whole discussion was kind of my fault. I "corrected" another Ilmateri character about using Tormtar in a letter (in the Correspondence section), but was using the the source I had listed and set our wiki to reflect. She had sent me a PM about it as well, since her source was conflicting with our wiki. Which is why I made a round about apology in my last post and tried to find a better source even if I wasn't successful at it. I found her source material still an interesting read and one I'll have deeper look at later on.

Comment

I just call them all "knights", since I have no ranks in knowledge religion and I'm not a member of the Triad. No one has complained or corrected him yet! I chose the word because I assumed someone whose native language is Elven would simply choose something that seems similar from their own society.

And since Elf society *cough cough* has no paladins he calls them all knights.
                          UTC+8
                          Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                          Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

*Somewhere in Sundren Faucon twitches*
                            Ghal Narish, Battle-Mage
                            Faucon De'Ombre
                            , Triadic Knight

Ulriel Gabrieth, Devout of Lathander
                            Noril De'nor, Archer ...
                            Liem Ashcroft, Miner, Smith, and Weaponsmaster

Comment

Originally posted by aniril_telin View Post
                              *somewhere in sundren faucon twitches*
                              lol
                              "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

Working...
                              X