Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elfvengers, Assemble!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elfvengers, Assemble!

Alright, so it's no secret that I am one of the old elf community players that has always tried to bring a little of the Tel'Quessir even when it doesn't belong, is not wanted, and may not be needed. I've been trying since almost day one to push a DM or player-driven intitiative to give the elven playerbase a goal and place - no matter how niche - in the Sundren world and story. Now I want to know how many of you out there are like me, how serious we are, and if we can focus this common interest in a positive way.

Way back in the day, I did something like this with moderate results. Here's the deal: I'm using pre-existing lore within Sundren to introduce a select group of player characters with conjoined backstory for the purposes of starting a player-driven and supported non-faction (much like how the old Vigilent Eye and Skullcleavers were). I cannot speak for any sort of DM or project support - this is purely a player trying to drive player interest at this point, but interesting characters with interesting goals working together can and will turn heads.

Initially, the conjoined characters will feature these sorts of links: they are Sun (or Moon) elves from Evermeet, whom arrived Pre-Second Sundering on the galley The Emerald Fleet due to a pirate attack that forced them to deviate from their original mission. Several of the militant forces of the Emerald Fleet have taken root in the Valley for a few reasons:
    • To survey the potential for the Bloodmain Orcs to become a serious sea-faring threat with a path to Evermeet (considering that a powerful Chosen of Gruumsh recently led a massive force).
    • To assess the situation (and possible dangers) of the human nation of Sundren, their Netherese-like Flying City, and they're long-term goals if they stabilize the region.
    • To seek out remnants of previous explorations, Crown War artifacts, possible wood elf settlements, anything that would be relevant to the Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower and the homeland.

This won't be limited to these characters, however: if anyone interested doesn't elect to take a fresh start at the idea, the existing would-be members will begin to look for potential recruits from among the resident Tel'Quessir - those who prove loyal, resourceful, and devoted to The People and their long-term interest in the wild frontier that is the Sundered Valley.
    Active
    Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
    Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Pfft, it goes without saying that I will be in on this. My Moon/Wild Elf ranger is wandering the valley aimlessly with little purpose but to slay wandering monsters to make the valley safer. Though as is he wouldn't care much about Evermeet, old Crown War artifacts or Sun Elves in general, he's just waiting for someone to educate him on these kind of things and their importance ><
    UTC+8
    Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
    Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

My somewhat xenofobic wood elven mhoarnathil would be quite interested as well!
      My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
      Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Comment

If you can hold off of starting this for a few more days then I'd be happy enough to get involved and lend it some legitimacy, as well as being able to wrap up a few loose ends from previous events.

Have the emerald fleet arrived in sundren before? Retconning the arrival of the fleet might be problematic and I'd certainly prefer something starting now and moving forward rather than handwaving a 'hey! We've been here ages really' intro.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

I must agree with my bearded fellow; Although the idea of a secret elven society hidden in Sundren from the first sundering sounds really awe-inspiring - going forward with what we have now is a better idea.

My Mhoarnothil has had a shrine built to Sehanine moonbow - and there's certainly enough undead around to hunt - that's kinda my outset

Comment

If this is a group, sounds fun. However, I'm usually against racially exclusive (sub) factions. Even the Whurest has offered members of other races to join. If that's not what was meant, then ignore this post.
            Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
            Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
            Well, you've probably missed it
            There was never anything there
            In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

If possible, could anyone recommended some concise resources for FR elf lore and history?

I've always wanted to play an elf, but can't for shit because I don't PNP and I know only enough FR lore from what I've picked up through wikis and the NWN games. Since my main exposure to FR has been through this server and elves haven't ever been a big part of it (at least since 2008ish when I joined), I'm pretty lacking in that lore department.
              Originally posted by Saulus
              Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

@Doubtful - The Emerald Fleet arrived in Sundren a few months to a year before the Bloodmaim War and Second Sundering. This was a middle teir event by Poltergeist that spawned a few lingering repercussions (such as the presence of The Fellowship of the Forgotten Flower seeking new recruits in the Valley, the Elfspotting as they searched for the escaped pirate captain, etc). Prior to 2008, there was a full elven retreat in the Viridale with ambassadors from Evermeet present. I believe that was all retconned though, after Ash left the team and took her maps during the big wipe. I'm actually all for something else that could be even bigger and supported by staff, so I am all ears.

@Cornuto - I'll send you some links and stuff after work. I hope you like text!
                Active
                Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
                Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

My Moon Elf Elandeal (20 level bard) is in for sure. I have wanted to bring the Elves back into Sundren, but nobody seems to know any Elven lore. Even the typical greeting and parting words are foreign to most of the Elven players I have come across.

Count me in.
                  Erolith Mornmist Undead Hunter
                  Kraken Priest and crafter
                  Fingers O'Hoolihan Inebriated Monk

Out here in the perimeter there are no stars, out here we is stoned immaculate!

Comment

Originally posted by cmosier View Post
                    If this is a group, sounds fun. However, I'm usually against racially exclusive (sub) factions. Even the Whurest has offered members of other races to join. If that's not what was meant, then ignore this post.
                    I'm personally of the inclination that half-elves are a great addition, if they play their elven heritage up, like a certain cleric of Fenmarel Mestarine! It's not more exclusive in the way that you're welcome to roll up an elf and join the fun I suppose. And it's not a subfaction per se, as far as I understand.

Even the typical greeting and parting words are foreign to most of the Elven players I have come across.
                    Not all dwarves speaks with a scottish accent as well. Please lead by example and don't be shy to dish out knowledge IG! I personally find that "Sweet water and light laughter" a bit overdone. I love it when people go to lengths with this stuff, but lets find a compromise!

Curnotu, I can really recommend reading about the Seldarine on the Sundren Wiki. A lot of relevant 2nd edition stuff have survived there, as opposed to the Forgotten realms wiki. I would encourage you to look up the elf eater, it's an ok entry on the FR wiki. Some of things it implies are rather essential. F'instance there has been an attack on evermeet not a decade since current module time. I can't remember if it was Malarites and the elf eater, or thayans or both! Other than that I can really recommend the Forgotten realms sourcebook and the Races of Faerun supplement.

Satoshi, please share any elf lore goodies with the rest of us!

Comment

I'm just curious to the direction is all. I'm trying to make my faction more inclusive and more inviting to more players. I've done elves until wince when I see a box of Keebler cookies, but thanks for the invite. I'll sit back and see if Byrun can figure out a way to make money from the whole ordeal.
                      Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
                      Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
                      Well, you've probably missed it
                      There was never anything there
                      In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Originally posted by Farmboy2003 View Post
                        Satoshi, please share any elf lore goodies with the rest of us!
                        I agree!

Comment

While I don't play an elf, Cora grew up among elves for a large part of her young life. In fact, she's been hoping to find some elvish allies in her quest to cleanse the taint from the forest. And this hidden elvish retreat idea in the forest is certainly interesting. If you're looking for a non-elf ally, feel free to hit Cora up!
                          It is better to try and fail than to never try at all. Those who never try are cursed to wonder what might have been.

Comment

The Elves of Evermeet (2nd Edition) - Old, but unchanged and unchanging information that is useful to would-be elven players about the ultimate paradise, the ultimate refuge, and ultimate prize.

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves (2nd Edition) - The story of the doomed Myth Drannor, and a load of insight into the elven mindset of Faerun. Like the above, it's a great primer and history lesson.

An excerpt from Races of Faerun (3rd Edition) - More sub-race detail and psychology for creating and playing an elven character.

Magic of Faerun - I thought I'd include this due to the section on Elven High Magic, the Nether Scrolls, Mythals, and such. Sources cited at the bottom.

A Grand History of the Realms (3rd Edition) - This is useful for anyone, really, not limited to elves in any way. It's exactly what it sounds like: a catalogue of the most important events that shaped Abeir-Toril.

The Complete Book of Elves (2nd Edition) - What it says on the cover, with a section dedicated to the differences between each settings' elves.

The Drow of the Underdark (3.5 Edition) - Through the looking glass at the Il'Tel'Quessir. Know thy enemy, and know thyself.

I am almost certain I'm missing some vital (or at least nontrivial) sourcebook information that would add to the discussion, but these should be more than enough to fill several hours and give a thorough insight into elven playstyle.
                            Active

Retired/Dead

Comment

I've created a moderated social group for the people still interested, and I'll be posting up relevant information there.
                              Active

Retired/Dead

Comment

Working...
                              X