Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Character creation feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character creation feedback

When I play this game I always seem to come back to playing rangers, and especially TWF.(Somehow I can't play DnD without being a pointy eared treehugger with two swords!) Right now I'm working on a str-based TWF'er multiclassed with Fighter and Rogue. The idea is a tempest/swordsmaster kinda thing, with some ties to nature. Maybe even an undead hunter or a doomguide (not the kelemvor PrC mind you). Depends on how things develop.

I must admit I've fallen in love with all the skills Sundren has to offer (not to mention the feats!), and every time I try and make a new character I ponder for days over which skills to take, and in how many ranks. My deep inner conflict right now is whether to go stealther or not. It eats up skill points like a mutha.

On one hand, It's not like I'm in for tons of Sneak attack damage(2d6). I probably wont have slots for, or access to great sneaking gear in the long run. Unless the epic level cap magically dissapears over night I do not expect to get HiPS (I hate it anyway). I don't intend to use it to pvp, as I rarely go down that avenue. Is 27 stealth/hide even useful in PvE?

I do love that rangers can run in stealth mode. And it can be a great way to position yourself most optimal for battle. And it is very ranger-ish to sneak about - maybe not so much if your goal is to hit things hard with swords. Is this worth 46 skill points? Is it THAT good making sure you stand the right place when the d20ies start rolling?

I intend to be a miner and a swordsmith to boot, but it is hard to gather what the DC's commonly used for those skills are. The highest DC I've seen on a weapon mold/recipe was 26 I think. Are the DC's supposed to be secret? I've been wondering about dipping into Taunt as well, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

What is your take on the Sundren skills? I'm used to maxing skills to get anywhere in this game, but it seems that a little dip here and there is a better approach on this server? It also seems there are many 'athletics' skills: Swim, climb, jump, balance, use rope, escape artist among others. Are these great to have a few points in? Or is it mostly that cliff in the Sharan hills and stuff like that it is for?

I apologise if I've placed this thread wrongly, or copied an earlier thread.

And thanks for letting me choose between all those nice skills! A little frustration is a good thing!
    My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
    Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Not sure on the usefulness of the crafting skills, I know some people have made the crafting system work for them despite the flaws. Even when we do upgrade/replace the crafting we will look at refunding skill points if it ever comes to us removing any skills.

Things like swim,jump and climb we try to use where we can in the environment, but of course the strongest use will always be in RP situations where a DM can be far more imaginative than we can scripting something.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I like all of the 'athletic' skills and the way bluff and sense motive work on sundren as well.
      Originally posted by roguethree
      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

I like all the profession skills and I hope they find a reason to keep all of them ... nothing like fishing and cooking to make things interesting!
        Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
        Cybil Gelley (Retired)
        Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

Comment

Working...
        X