Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mithral shields and arcane spell failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mithral shields and arcane spell failure

Hey gang, are mithral shields changed on Sundren? I had a heavy mithral shield crafted and it only has a weight reduction property.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Mithral

It's a bug with the crafting system. Snag a DM ingame and we can apply the arcane spell failure reduction with an appropriate sacrifice.

Comment

My sheild has it. That was wayyy before the crafting changes though. Like 2008
      Originally posted by roguethree
      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Thanks Polt!

Comment

Originally posted by Poltergeist View Post
          It's a bug with the crafting system. Snag a DM ingame and we can apply the arcane spell failure reduction with an appropriate sacrifice.
          Can anyone have this done? I didn't have a shield crafted because I'd seen one and it didn't have the reduction, so I didn't bother.

Supplemental question - does this apply overall, ie would a Mithral shield (-20%, according to Chiangtao's reference) reduce me to zero ASF when wearing a Mithral Chain Shirt?
          Cheers,
          Dave
          ================
          Tery Mard

Comment

Hey again Polt,

I think there was some confusion about the amount of spell reduction. I think it should have been the full 20%, not the 15% you applied. Can you check with the in-game DM tools what the mithral heavy shield looks like out of the box, uncrafted?

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/NWN2/...vy-shields.php

Comment

Originally posted by Chiangtao View Post
              I think it should have been the full 20%, not the 15% you applied.
              Spell failure for mithral shields is decreased by 20% (to a minimum of 0%). A heavy shield's arcane spell failure is 15%... so a 15 percent reduction is appropriate. Bottom line: A Mithral Heavy Shield should have an arcane spell failure of 0%.

Spell failure for mithral armor is decreased by 10%. So Tery's mithral chain shirt should have an arcane spell failure of 10% [since chain shirt's are 20%].

Cheers!
              Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ManUtd4Ever View Post
                Spell failure for mithral shields is decreased by 20% (to a minimum of 0%). A heavy shield's arcane spell failure is 15%... so a 15 percent reduction is appropriate. Bottom line: A Mithral Heavy Shield should have an arcane spell failure of 0%.

Spell failure for mithral armor is decreased by 10%. So Tery's mithral chain shirt should have an arcane spell failure of 10% [since chain shirt's are 20%].

Cheers!
                Sorry guys, round in circles... Polt applied -10% reduction, not 15%.

I believe there is a discrepency between PNP mithral heavy shields and NWN2 mithral heavy shields. I wouldn't have ordered it had I known there will still be 5% arcane spell failure. I guess the question is, does Sundren support the NWN2 version or the PNP version of this shield?

Comment

Does it have a socket on the shield? I know Mithral weapons do. You could use am Arcane Pearl to take it to 15%.
                  It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                  Sydney Smith.

Comment

I could but money and crafters are scarce! The root of my question goes back to the base item though - should a sundren crafted Mithral heavy shield have -10% or -15%? I wish I could afford to solve this on my own but it comes down to a crafting system bug and a staff ruling I think. I can't be the first person to encounter this can I be? What has been done in the past?

PS I hope this doesn't sound argumentative. I remember how painful it is to deal with crafting issues. Given this is a known bug and there is discrepancy between shield rules I'm just hoping to get a standard resolution. You guys have always been helpful and fair. And your boots taste like r3.

Comment

You actually can be. I think it was two full years before Xaayne made a Ring of Freedom of Movement, and everyone assumed it was a permanent freedom of movement ring. He was still the only person to bother making one. Turned out to be 3/day crappy CL 7 spell version. No one else ever made one. Bottom line is, the crafters are scarce because crafting is too much work for a really lacklustre output.
                      Active
                      Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
                      Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiangtao View Post
                        The root of my question goes back to the base item though - should a sundren crafted Mithral heavy shield have -10% or -15%?
                        A mithral shield should be 0% Arcane Failure. I understand the root question... Can anyone from the staff explain why Sundren does not support the NWN2 -20% reduction in Mithral Shields [to a minimum of 0%?].

Cheers!
                        Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by ManUtd4Ever View Post
                          A mithral shield should be 0% Arcane Failure. I understand the root question... Can anyone from the staff explain why Sundren does not support the NWN2 -20% reduction in Mithral Shields [to a minimum of 0%?].

Cheers!
                          PnP states a mithral heavy shield should have a 5% arcane failure rate. NWN2 is what gave us the 0% failure rate. Across the server we have tended more toward the PnP end of things rather than the very single player focused interpretations that NWN2 gave us.

Personally I favour having some small margin of failure on the shields in the same manner that all mithral armour gives some small amount of risk. It would mean that people face the same choices that bards tend to have - unequip the shield to cast a spell with lower AC, or keep the AC boost and risk having a spell fizzle. Otherwise mithral shields just become a cheap way of boosting your AC by 2-5 or more points with absolutely no risk.

The matter should come down to internal staff discussion though, so we'll see what comes out of that.
                          It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                          Sydney Smith.

Comment

Craft a zalantar light shield like a pro.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Zalantar

Boom! 0% ASF, +2 AC
                            Originally posted by Saulus
                            Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornuto View Post
                              Craft a zalanther light shield like a pro.
                              I crafted the shield in question and cited the NWN2 spell failure stats. I enjoy crafting and rely on it to generate my in game income. Unfortunately, no self-respecting Dwarf would craft with Zalanther wood, so while it is a good suggestion... for an Ironforge Clansman its not an option.

Cheers!
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X