Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about SToA PRC

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about SToA PRC

Why is it you need 8 Ranks in Hide and the Stealthy feat for SToA yet Hide is not one of their class skills? I find this to be rather ... stupid ... "Oh uhhh I'm a shadow thief ... but I'm really not that good at hiding."
    "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

If by:

Originally posted by Mournas
    Why is it you need 8 Ranks in Hide and the Stealthy feat for SToA yet Hide is not one of their class skills? I find this to be rather ... stupid ... "Oh uhhh I'm a shadow thief ... but I'm really not that good at hiding."

You mean:
    Originally posted by Courteous Player
    Excuse me, I can't help but notice that hide isn't one of the Shadow Thief's skills, even though they are supposed to be thieves. Do you think there was there an intention behind this when WotC released the Player's Guide to Faerun sourcebook? And would it be possible to add such?
    I would say that it's a five level PrC that focuses on the smooth talking nature of the Shadow Thief compared to any other sneaking class. Its abilities give you bonuses to speech skills, alongside skill focus (if you really wanted that +3 to hide).

And again, it's only five levels. Any rogue can make up for the lack of hide skills just as soon as he or she finishes the PrC levels with one level of rogue. For reference, here is the handbook.
    "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

I'll trade you my bard's hide skill, for your 10% price reduction ability.
      Tigen Amastacia: Died in events so you didn't have to.

Quintin Ulsteris: Nice-guy Legion engineer, deceased son of House Ulsteris.

Clandriel Cain: AKA "Fire-eyes" AKA "Demon hunter" AKA "OH MY GOD, WHY IS HE STILL STABBING ME!!??"

Comment

Originally posted by [DM] Grinning Death View Post
        If by:

You mean:

I would say that it's a five level PrC that focuses on the smooth talking nature of the Shadow Thief compared to any other sneaking class. Its abilities give you bonuses to speech skills, alongside skill focus (if you really wanted that +3 to hide).

And again, it's only five levels. Any rogue can make up for the lack of hide skills just as soon as he or she finishes the PrC levels with one level of rogue. For reference, here is the handbook.
        No I am pretty sure I meant exactly what I said. You can't really justify the smooth talking vs sneaking as they have move silently. Which last time I checked is a sneaking skill. It is not much of an issue just wondering why they have Half the sneak capability. It is still stupid in all aspects, as bards who are dedicated to music and preforming still get hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Mournas View Post
          No I am pretty sure I meant exactly what I said. You can't really justify the smooth talking vs sneaking as they have move silently. Which last time I checked is a sneaking skill.
          I know you meant what you said. I was simply re-arranging it into a more suitable form of a 'polite question'.

And I don't need to justify it, it's how the class is instituted in PnP. Whatever the logic was behind it, I don't see a pressing need (see previous post for justification) to correct it.

Comment

What he's saying, Mournas, is: stop being a confrontational douchebag. They're the Mafia. They're the mobsters. They don't care about hiding as they want their presence to be known. Let the lower-ranking grunt rogues that don't have professional (IE: prestige) levels do all the sneaking and hiding. Let the assassins come out of the shadows.

Or, don't worry about justifying it at all. Not everything makes sense, but we tend to have to roll with it.
            Active
            Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
            Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the smooth talking part as that is what they are all about. I am just saying why have move silently but not hide, I am just saying I find it odd to have half sneak skill with a prereq of sneaky feats and very little smooth talking capabilities I was just wondering if anyone could make sense of that at all. Like for stormlords you need Weapon Focus Spear, that makes perfect sense etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Satoshi View Post
                They're the Mafia.
                Righteous!
                Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Satoshi View Post
                  What he's saying, Mournas, is: stop being a confrontational douchebag. They're the Mafia. They're the mobsters. They don't care about hiding as they want their presence to be known. Let the lower-ranking grunt rogues that don't have professional (IE: prestige) levels do all the sneaking and hiding. Let the assassins come out of the shadows.

Or, don't worry about justifying it at all. Not everything makes sense, but we tend to have to roll with it.
                  My first question wasn't confrontational. Also let me reiterate they have Move Silently so they must sneak sometimes. I suppose its when no one is looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mournas View Post
                    I suppose its when no one is looking.
                    I suppose it must be. Locking this thread, thank you for the helpful suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    X