Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class Review: Monk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Review: Monk

Class Review: Monk

NWN Definition: “The key feature of the monk is her ability to fight unarmed and unarmored. Thanks to her rigorous training, she can strike as hard as if she were armed and strike faster than a warrior with a sword. Though a monk casts no spells, she has a magic of her own. She channels a subtle energy, called ki, which allows her to perform amazing feats. The monk's best-known feat is her ability to stun an opponent with an unarmed blow. A monk also has a preternatural awareness that allows her to dodge an attack even if she is not consciously aware of it. As a monk gains experience and power, her mundane and ki-oriented abilities grow, giving her more and more power over herself and, sometimes, over others.”

FRwiki Definition: “Monks are psionicists, proficient in focusing their bodies through the mystical energy known as psionics or ki in order to defend themselves while unarmed or to strike their foes with deadly power. Due to their special training monks are, in fact, as capable in combat as fully armed warriors typically are, striking with as much lethality as many fighters, rangers, or rogues. Additionally, most monks are capable of affecting their enemies in other ways.”

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Monk
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Monk

MY VIEW

Monks follow an order (and yes you should have to chose one), either religious or no, that dictates how they have to behave. This is another class where even if you multiclass you are still a monk, there are multiclass restrictions set for the monk orders for a reason.

Taking one level of monk for the AC bonus is lame, especially for a druid.

Really my gripes have to do with the multi-classes I see with monks, and the fact that I have only seen one person playing a monk that actually claimed to belong, or to have belonged to an order, which is the most important aspect of the monk class.

I’ve decided to risk creating a firestorm by doing a short review like this on all the base and PrC classes available on Sundren and ask for the communities input on anything related to that class such as RP tactics, personal views, lore tidbits, and character build strategies.
    Keep it clean, thanks
    "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
    Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

IMO, monks do not belong in Faerun, especially on the west (sword) coast. Kara-tur is way too far east. Same thing for the samurai (at least the samurai class is controlled here, but anybody can be a monk)

I ran a short-lived eastern campaign in 2nd edition. It was pretty fun doing the oriental adventures thing.
    Last edited by Snowmane; 12-31-2011, 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling
    Account Name: LuvHandles
    Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
    Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
    Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
    Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
    Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
    Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

So you're saying that the Broken Ones of Ilmatar, the monk God of suffering and endurance, don't belong in Faerun because he's not from Kara-tur? Interesting.
      Active
      Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
      Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

I dislike the oriental-esq martial arts depiction, but otherwise I don't mind the class.

I agree it's a depressingly rare thing to see a monk being a monk.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by Satoshi View Post
          So you're saying that the Broken Ones of Ilmatar, the monk God of suffering and endurance, don't belong in Faerun because he's not from Kara-tur? Interesting.
          This is another 3rd edition WotC bastardization of D&D. I am kind of old school, and I don't like a great many thing that they did to Forgotten realms in 3rd Edition.
          Account Name: LuvHandles
          Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
          Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
          Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
          Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
          Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
          Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

I think there are times when taking monk levels without "being a monk" is acceptable. I have a Fighter/Monk/Dwarven Defender with 6 levels of Monk that wears full-plate((So no Monk AC there)). Something akin to a Battlerager, though without rage and more of a regimented Dwarven Warrior mentality. With the absence of a more fighteresque brawler class, it is the best way to achieve it. However, I have to agree that monk1/druid 19 is sickening.

Comment

Well I see a Monk not as oriental as people believe. Different cultures in Faerun could have different versions of Monks. Some call it Ki, some call it Divine Power, some call it magic focus. Stuff like that. People who believe in discipline of the body to such an extent they start manifesting the powers of the body. Doesn't have to be oriental in origin. So they fit perfectly anywhere in the different worlds of D&D. Faerun, Eberron, Well.. Maybe not Dragonlance, but you get the point.
              Computers is can solve a problem on kids. Using computers, kids be learn what he need, and this why computers used.

Comment

I was okay with monks not being around in 2nd Edition D&D. They are in 3rd, and I guess it's kind of okay, though they do kind of mess with my more medieval-outlook suspension of disbelief.

Sure, they have a justified place in the setting. Good for them. But I wouldn't play one.
                Maia Nanethiel ~ Moon Elf Female Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Taintedglory View Post
                  Well I see a Monk not as oriental as people believe. Different cultures in Faerun could have different versions of Monks. Some call it Ki, some call it Divine Power, some call it magic focus. Stuff like that. People who believe in discipline of the body to such an extent they start manifesting the powers of the body. Doesn't have to be oriental in origin. So they fit perfectly anywhere in the different worlds of D&D. Faerun, Eberron, Well.. Maybe not Dragonlance, but you get the point.
                  Couldn't have said it better. Although monks would be more common in Kara-tur, there is no reason why in a fantasy setting such a fighting discipline would not exist elsewhere in some form.

(Although i firmly believe asians will always kick white peoples asses at Gongfu )
                  UTC+8
                  Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
                  Thalanis Moonshadow

Comment

Christians have monks in the real world (Eastern and western hemisphere). I dont see why the class is viewed as oriental. The fighting style doesnt have to be the same. the class focus or skill set doesnt have to be the same ~ Monks get a suprising amount of class skills to play with so you just have to think outside the box a little when choosing the order (and thus the multiclassing options if your not going all the way)
                    Originally posted by roguethree
                    If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Satoshi View Post
                      I don't think Ilmater can be classed as a 'monk God'. Granted him having monks makes some sense, but that's like putting Bane down as a Blackguard God, or Kossuth down as a Druid God.
                      Running across the mountains, attacking with an oversized scalpel, cometh Helga Great-Wyrm! And she gives a mighty bellow:
                      "Brace yourself, oh human speck of dust! You are made of meat and I am very hungry!"

Comment

Originally posted by Root View Post
                        I don't think Ilmater can be classed as a 'monk God'. Granted him having monks makes some sense, but that's like putting Bane down as a Blackguard God, or Kossuth down as a Druid God.
                        What wrong with that?
                        If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

It's a shame we can't add the 'Hammer Fist' feat - Giving monks (or anyone who fancies it) the a specialized two-handed unarmed attack that does quite a bit of extra damage.

I'd totally play a Monk/Paladin cross-over with that feat, dropping the double axe on foes of goodness and sleeping with all the green-skinned ladies I could..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SK0cUNMnMM
                          It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                          Sydney Smith.

Comment

Hammer fist was exclusive to dwarves wasnt it?

Comment

Ah, so it is... Missed that in the pre-reqs.

Bugger, my dreams of Kirkdom... Shatt(n)ered...
                              Sydney Smith.

Comment

Working...
                              X