Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class Review: Bard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class Review: Bard

Since the barbarian review got so many great responses I am posting the bard one today as well! (AkA my Skyrim crashed and I dont feel like walking to the bandit hideout again right now :P)

Class Review: Bard

Game definition: “A bard brings forth magic from his soul, not from a book. He can cast only a small number of spells, but he can do so without selecting or preparing them in advance. His magic emphasizes charms and illusions over the more dramatic evocation spells that wizards and sorcerers often use. In addition to spells, a bard works magic with his music and poetry. He can encourage allies, hold his audiences rapt, and counter magical effects that rely on speech or sound. Bards have some of the skills that rogues have, although bards are not as focused on skill mastery as rogues are. A bard listens to stories as well as telling them, of course, so he has a vast knowledge of local events and noteworthy items.”

FRwiki definition: "Bards are versatile arcanists, capable in combat, art, and magic alike. Bards practice magic as they would art or song and use their artistic talents to induce magical effects that either bolster their party or hinder their enemy, typically through illusion magic. They also are among the most versatile of characters, capable of learning from practically any trade."

http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bard
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bard

MY VIEW

Bards are awesome.

Using this class gives the player literally the ultimate in RP flexibility. Bards can be anything from an evil poetic killer to the royal court jester with a heart of gold to something as simple as a wandering collector of stories.

Any character with bard levels is a bard, and should act the part of being a bard; there are a lot of options. I never have liked seeing characters with bard levels taken merely as a means to an end or to support another class’ levels they have taken.

I’ve decided to risk creating a firestorm by doing a short review like this on all the base and PrC classes available on Sundren and ask for the communities input on anything related to that class such as RP tactics, personal views, lore tidbits, and character build strategies.
    Keep it clean, thanks.
    "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
    Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Originally posted by Dragor
    Bards are awesome.
    Why thank you!

Seriously, though, bards are my favorite DnD class. I've played so many bards that my friends wonder if I can play anything else. I could, but why would I want to play something else when a well-built bard can do pretty much everything? Em can tank, hit, throw magic, heal, sneak, and all those songs/inspirations let her make her allies even better, too. All those skill points come in rather handy in events.

Bards are awesome.

Comment

Bards are full of awesome...

It's a crying shame that one of my favorite builds, the Bard / Frenzied Beserker, isn't really viable on Sundren ( and I'd love to see the bard/druid prc implemented).
      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
      Sydney Smith.

Comment

Ugh . . . bards. I dunno, the class never appealed to me. Maybe I am prejudiced from how bad they were in 1st and 2nd edition.
        Account Name: LuvHandles
        Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
        Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
        Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
        Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
        Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
        Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

Who ever heard of a lawful bard -_-
          "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

She's a moral officer, as such it's her job to lie, beguile, obfuscate, confuse and misdirect.

Hardly lawful.
            It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
            Sydney Smith.

Comment

Not to mention that bards becoming lawful would not mean a loss of bard awesomeness or anything, would just mean said bard could no longer progress as a bard.
              Originally posted by Satoshi
              Boobs > You. Cornuto: 0 Cat: 1
              Originally posted by Cornuto
              Glad everyone's being extra fucking ridiculous today.

Comment

Bards are the most universally applicable and flexible class in dnd. Easily capable of contending with everything short of a wizard packing disjunction or a buffed theuge.

In short; Bards are OP.

I demand nerfs.
                Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
                Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
                Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
                Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
                Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
                Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

Originally posted by Doubtful View Post
                  and I'd love to see the bard/druid prc implemented
                  Would this be a disney princess class? Like Snow White whistling to birds to make them do her bidding? Or maybe Pocahontas?
                  Account Name: LuvHandles
                  Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
                  Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
                  Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
                  Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
                  Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
                  Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

Originally posted by Kasso View Post
                    I demand nerfs.

Comment

^ That picture is so wrong, I could of gone my life without seeing such. I hate you -_-
                      "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

lmao... Ahh that makes me smile.
                        Aesa Volsung - Uthgardt Warrior

Formerly
                        Gabrielle Atkinson - Mage Priest of Torm
                        Anasath Zesiro - Mulhorandi Morninglord
                        Kyoko - Tiefling Diviner
                        Yashedeus - Cyrist Warlock
                        Aramil - Nutter

GMT -8

Comment

My job here is done.

Comment

Bards unable to be of lawful alignment is one of the silliest things ever designed.

And without adding any justification or arguement to that statement other than the statement itself, I'll just go ahead and leave it at that.
                            Originally posted by ThePaganKing
                            So, the roguethree bootlickers strike again.

Comment

Dammit, Kaizen. If you're going to needlessly spark conflict over issues that really have no singularly correct answer, you should start it in another thread.
                              "Use the Force, Harry" -Gandalf

Comment

Working...
                              X