Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patching the Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patching the Server

First, let me just say this.

I realize I'm new to the server but I am enjoying myself greatly! You've got a nice place to come and play, something I've been looking for since my NWN1 server shut down.

My question is this, why patch to a beta version of a patch? Only reason I ask is now when the final patch comes out we all have to patch yet again. Don't get me wrong I don't mean to sound as though I'm complaining only concerned because a beta patch usually has a few bugs in it yet and is not as refined as the real deal.

If this has been talked about I'm sorry for bringing it up again.

Keep up the good work team

*Shrug.* I'm not sure why they did. A few players who play on two servers can't log in cuz of that. Hopefully the offical patch will release soon.

Comment

Because the beta patch offers several very nice DM functions.
      "Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man."
      - Bertrand Russell

Comment

I'm currently bouncing between here and a non-patched server...I just update and downdate as required. It hasn't been a problem....and simple things like not losing the chat window on transition make even the beta version of 1.05 worth having
        Ula Fey Craftswoman, blacksmith, maker of bespoke sharp pointy things.

Comment

oh yah, the not loosing chat window is awesome..

Comment

There are pros and cons to using Beta patches. The big pros are that you get the fixes, and most Beta patches are actually quite good, with very few, if any, additional bugs.

The big cons are that most servers are conservative and don't like using beta patches, and you can get some really, really weird bugs.

However, the fact that the server is working fine seems to justify the view taken by the staff, no?

Comment

More ways of smiting you a concussion *snickers*
              Fret and fear, for Europe is near.

Desmonia Flashir

GBX: I'm a level 20 programmer for sure in real life. I know more about CPU's, software, Windows, etc, than most people know about their own children.

Comment

It mostly makes things much easier with beta patch. Too many fixes to ignore. Persistent chat windows, DM's controlling NPCs without being in the body, etc. There's many bugs, yes, but it is far outweighed by the fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula Fey View Post
                  I'm currently bouncing between here and a non-patched server...I just update and downdate as required. It hasn't been a problem....and simple things like not losing the chat window on transition make even the beta version of 1.05 worth having
                  Dont know if you have the space or not but if you do there is a lot easier way to do this. Just have a double install. To do this copy all files from the non-beta version to a new directory. Then patch just one of them. Used to have to this for NWN1, but it works for NWN2 as well even though I only play on Sundren now.
                  Active Characters:
                  Tassafina Lightleaf - A little sneaky but not as sneaky as Ithil

Silivren Anar
                  Merka Gillina

Hideing outs:
                  Alyssa Swiftwing - Priestess of Yondalla
                  Ravenne Naur'Loki - Roar!

Comment

That's basically the same thing as patching and unpatching. The difference is you're doing all the file transferring manually. Obsidian just saves us the extra step and gives us an unpatcher.
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                    X