Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PWC downloading versus other methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWC downloading versus other methods?

I am curious about one thing. Has admin here considered using alternative methods of updating the clientpack than downloading the HUGE file each time you guys update the module?

I have seen on other worlds the use of the program Audolo with great success. http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...ls.Detail&id=5

Helps those that do not have a nice and high bandwidth a lot, as you do not have to download everything over and over. There might be better programs than this available, but alas I do not know of any.

I am aware that obsidian has said that they are working on something else to make this easier...but that is probably in the future. We are living in the now

Pros:
    • Saves bandwidth both for player and for server. A lot of it actually
    • Allows for more quicker smaller updates. Only the new areas/updates are downloaded. Untouched areas stay.
    • With smaller updates being readily available, you can easier implement player-created happenings and the like. A friend of mine came up with the idea of a graveyard for Pd'ed characters with a tombstone and all An incentive to get rid of that character you know people hate
    • Easier to make sure you are running the current version.
    Cons:
    • Lag issues? Not sure if the system the program works with introduces lag or not. I am not a tech, so that is up to GBX *throws it like a grenade and runs*
    Keep up the good work and keep on rockin'

Catch you all IG!
    Player of: Sakamoto. Warrior following the Way of the Blade.

I can hear what you're thinking,
    All your doubts and fears,
    And if you look in my eyes, in time you'll find,
    The reason I'm here.

Mmm, it sounds nice, but lag will be annoying.

Comment

We've thoroughly considered all methods long before the first client pack was ever released. Yes this system does introduce lag. And in case you haven't noticed we release patches . People don't have to redownload the client pack again, you're only downloading what changed. Right now we have the perfect solution that fits Sundren.
      The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Ahh, didn't know about the patch

I was afraid of the lag-issues as I noticed that on the server Forgotten Realms when I played there awhile ago. Thanks for the information.

The reason I'm here.

Comment

Hah. And the patches that the Sundren team releases are so professional looking... and functional... I don't mind sticking with what we're doing.
          Player behind ~ Ohgmek

Comment

Plus, why is 150 mb still considered 'huge' these days. People still use phone line connections ? O_o
            Fret and fear, for Europe is near.

Desmonia Flashir

GBX: I'm a level 20 programmer for sure in real life. I know more about CPU's, software, Windows, etc, than most people know about their own children.

Comment

The way the client pack installed is one of the clues that this was going to be a great server.
              Evander Aratath

Comment

Originally posted by Clutch View Post
                Plus, why is 150 mb still considered 'huge' these days. People still use phone line connections ? O_o
                quite a few ISPs have limits to how much you can DL, so the file of 150 MB can be a pain for some despite having a nice bandwidth. and yes there are still people using dial-up unfortunately. My parents included there lol.

The reason I'm here.

Comment

First law of engineering, if ain't broke, don't fix it.
                  Myrddin Ariandraig

Comment

i personally think the way it is now is ideal, 60mb or so isn't actual that long a download if you have a decent connection. plus it places everything in the correct files. i dont know what more you would want
                    Lady Isiovien, Drow (retired)

Esiela, Tiefling Wizard

Comment

The patches are the way to go. Audolo, from personal experience, is a bit over the head of someone who is less knowledgeable about computers

Comment

Working...
                      X