Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I saw something neat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder about flying mounts?

If there could be a "Sky Map"

It would take a mass amount of tweaking and work to look right, and act right?>

you would need rules for air combat <Im looking at some of the old source books on Air Combat> Its pretty core.

Air movement rates, Im sure you could tweak speeds fairly easy, however gettting it to look right might take some work.

I never played airial combat in PnP, but if i remember, isnt there a whole set of rules for turning around, charging, angles and other specifics.

If NWN2 evolved into all of this, i would me more than impressed. It reminds me of when the AutoPause was first introduced. Alot of people didnt seem that impressed, but to me, it was like a game changing Addition. I use it constantly when I host Private Game on Connections , because of the obvious benifits in combat. Plus it works well when it comes to small groups. Implementing it on a PW, well, I dont think its feasable, or even possible without a mass amounto of work. There would have to be "Zones of Pause" or something like that. Were if you entered into the zone, you were inside of the Time pausing radius. Wouldnt work, thing would get quite screwy for various, and obvoius reasons.

But back on topic, remember how much everyone wanted these things before release. I was lucky, and got to BETA test the game, and I was one of the few people who was very light on my critism towards it. Many were crit. the combat animations, lack of flying, jumping, ect. ME, i was just happy to have the freaking thing, after such a long delay. However , now, when I watch my character Duck, Lean, Duck, lean, Duck, Lean, in combat, I tell myself how nice it would be to have proper animations. You throw in a obnoxious Super man style jumping slash, and its the iceing on an already bad cake, lol. *What were they thinking with those street fighter animations at higher levels*? ANyhoo, Hellfire, Im really impressed by you work, and more than that, Im extremely gratefull, and thankfull youve taken the time to work on these things. I have a good feeling about the future of NWN2 when i see stuff like this, I previously thought was impossible. Mainly due to the fact, If I recall , many said it couldnt be done?!. Well, im looking at it now. When I started this thread, I thought someone was going to flame me, or laugh at me, for falling for the joke i saw on YouTube. I thought i was more than likely a fake video. Lo and Behold, I post, and the man responsible replies, thats luck. Im so stoked to hear the other plans you have, and cant wait to see the scripted rules get worked into these ideas, as stated above "Bring on the rules for falling and drowning". Or another one i like by mister paradox "Mage takes off into sky , ditching the poor mister fighter.

I know alot of animators at my school, but there in a different division than me, Im a programer, and they have the other side of the school, with all the macs running Maya, and Granny. I think i should go talk with them, see if they play the game and can help you out. I know I wish I could, I would be happy to help get these things into the game quickly. Especially the combat animations. Street fighter 2 has no place in Dungeons and Dragons combat, *lol* j,k. . . . .kinda.

Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
      Special Pathing

its not nearly as useful as it appears. The video shows it off using a Arched Walkmesh helper. the module builder would have to be selective wehre the ability could be used

Ex. A very steep cliff. it has a ramp shaped Walkmesh helper from the top of the cliff to the bottom. The builder would use a trigger to prevent people who can not fly/levitate from entering that trigger. those who can enter would move up and down the cliff face Via fly /levitate.

OR

Across chasms, or bodies of water.
      I don't know if you thought about it, but there is that legacy effect from NWN1 called EffectDisappear... The one that made you fly into the sky and out of screen. Its animation was never implemented in NWN2, so it does nothing. Maybe you can hijack it with your own animation and use it to show the toon gaining height, then swap the appearance to keep him up there.

Comment

Sounds like this'll be fantastic stuff for module builders and scripters, but less useful for persistent worlds

Damn your hide Aurora engine! Damn your duckpond and a pox upon your inherently un-interactive 2dness.

I dream of a world where RPG engines are not sold short on features, a world where characters can leap and jump without the need for special scripting, where climbing can be done easily. A world where a barrels are not static, but can be used along with the rest of the environment to create physics based traps; a world where rag-doll models give a bit more oomph to fireballs and blasts. A world where characters can be moved by more than user interface and cutscene.. *rambles on*

Shame it'll never truly happen, but at least we have clever folk like Hellfire to get us as close as we can.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

It can be of use in a PW, but like swimming, and climbing. It will just be more of a burden on ht area designer. In MMOs (ex. Age of Conan) You could climb, but only at specific spots, the same woudl have to be true for most of these extended aniamtions.

Special points put in just for the cool factor, because thats all they really are. Most of the animation set will be absent of combat none will have full combat / casting / emotes, except maybe Mounts.

What im hoping for from PWs is adventure areas where you have to have climb skills to climb that cliff to that ancient (tomb / cave/ ruin)
          or, swim skills to swim that massive lake to get to that mysterious tower on the other side.

Things like that are what I hope these new animations inspire in Pws.

Watching these aniamtions run in 3DS Max or in my test area is oen thing. Getting to actually use them... well thats the best part.

here is hoping.

Hellfire
          http://www.rwscreations.com/RWSForum/

Comment

Fair point! - For some reason I just got hooked up on the flying/levitating and managed to overlook the rest. I blame a lack of sleep!

The rest do have tons of potential, with the planned 'Battlefield' maps I can see tons of different avenues and tactics being opened up. And skillmonkeys having a lot more to do than disable traps and flank.

Look forward to watching your progress with this lot!

I'll save all my awkward questions for your boards
            It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
            Sydney Smith.

Comment

Awesome work, really, and that's all I have to say.

Comment

Will be uploading the swimming package to the vault in about an hour.

This will be a beta and I will be looking for feedback

All races supported

Comment

Is the system you'll be posting purely animation? We'll probably come up with something using the Swim skill and player speed unless you have something packaged with it. I'm really excited about it!
                  "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                  -Bill Maher

Comment

Will be animations only.

Comment

Just MORE WORK we have to do! Gee thanks!

But seriously and sincerely -- thanks! Can't wait!
                      "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                      -Bill Maher

Comment

keep an eye on the vault

Comment

Working...
                        X