Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Player Tendencies - I want to tell my story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Player Tendencies - I want to tell my story

Alright, I gotta put this in another thread before I pollute the True Res discussions. I'm going to discuss DM events vs Player Impacts/Stories from my own point of view. I've been meaning to post on this so I might as well do it now. Silas prompted this with his "I prefer novels" comments So without further delay, let me crit you all with a wall of text.

I want people to understand something about my plots that some of you have picked up on and others seem to struggle with. That being the power is in your hands.

When I make plots, they have a background of how things got to the state they are in and that's it. I never have a truly expected outcome that a plot can't deviate from, even with NPCs. I present conflicts to people and only their choices determine where the conflicts go. However, lately (Or maybe a great deal longer than lately) people have been either afraid of the conflicts or expecting a linear path that I had written previously in my own head.

I can't say this is the case for every DM, but anything I create, story, lore, NPCs, is completely mutable for players. While people focus on mechanics and say "Yo, this stinks as a mechanic" I think people lose sight of the idea that all mechanics are just tools to progress the story itself, even True Resurrection.

I'm going to use a couple stories occurring right now as examples so players understand.

Katria. This is a big example of the struggle I have as a DM. I'm going to metagame this plot by speaking about it publically since I think enough people know the background to have the metagame not matter much.

This plot had a simple backstory of "Katria left the manor for an internal conflict and came into contact with players." That was the background and the current status put in front of players. The position this NPC is in now has been exactly where players have led it, however, some people get the idea that it was my plan. That's pretty impossible since I don't have a plan.

Katria got nabbed based on a few player's actions. One player writes a letter to Sundren Soldiers about their plan, another shoves garlic down her throat, and that turned into a locked up Katria. Even the release was based on player actions. Every step she is in is because of player actions. I have no preplanned future for these things. It's a hook for people to tell their own tales with.

What is the future of this NPC? That's up to you guys. And for all the OOC talk that goes around with this, and all the plans to "Attack" I don't think one person has even lifted a finger to do anything negative to this character beyond words against them. Maybe that's where some players want to go, but OOC talk seems to point otherwise. Some problems for your character may just be solved with a simple Undeath to Death

Another example, Mathell's recent escape, which was pushed by me (Not Mathell, so he's guilt free ). Two people ran after him, they're about to catch him and I have an NPC lie and say he's long gone, and they just believe the NPC, talk awhile, and then leave. I was shocked to say the least, but I can see from messages OOC and forum posts they thought there was nothing they can do even though it was their choice not to do anything.

I believe players tend to think anything that comes out of an NPC's mouth is infallible when that is faaaaaaar from the case. They all have their own personalities, views, agendas, imperfections, etc. If an NPC says "Yo, you gotta do this like this." This is not ME telling you, this is an NPC. It might as well be another PC telling you the same thing. They could be on your side, against you, have no feeling, make mistakes, etc etc.

With all the talk of impacts and character stories lately, I thought it was important to tell people, I am NOT my NPCs. They are entities that exist for the sole purpose of story. They exist for a story that is completely unwritten. I don't plan where any PCs are going to be or where any NPCs are going to be.

If you drop a meteor on Hadavi's head and she winds up a puddle on the ground, guess what? There will be a puddle on the ground in which people stand around and go "Wow, that wasn't as hard as I thought." If Thumper wakes up in a Cyricist's clutches, then gets dragged to an altar to be sacrificed, I guess that may very well be the end of that NPC. The opposite is true too. If you convince an NPC to be your best buddy and to watch your back, you might have a buddy watching your back, or you might have someone waiting to backstab your back.

The problems I've been seeing is that people want me to direct them half the time on their own stories they're trying to write. If I start telling you what to do, I might as well be playing with myself. Just like when the NPC lied about Mathell, should I send a tell "Hey, this NPC is lying, you might want to try to roll sense motive" or should the player consider that?

Conflicts do pick on people. Yes, I am picking on you when I start them. Some people get mad about that, but it wouldn't be a conflict if it didn't have an air of ... well... conflict.

Some of you who have been around for the last few months may remember a day I sent a shout about logging because I was disappointed. The situation was that I gave a character a conflict. They were hiding their faction from people and they suddenly got unknowingly urged to hunt down another member of their faction. Instead of coming up with choices and actions for themselves on how to deal with this, they immediately went into tells to the other faction member going "Go hide somewhere. I'm being told to hunt you down and this could end up bad for you. Where are you now? Okay, I'll try to avoid that place." Etc etc. My jaw dropped and my eyes went O_O. I didn't even punish the player, I just logged.

I'm not picking on you to beat you down and leave you there, I'm picking on you to start a hook that you can get involved in and make your own mark from that hook. It's something you can overcome. Think of it like like a road with many paths and you can pick one for yourself. This player had the opportunity to help their own goals in that situation, but decided to waste the opportunity.

It kind of saddens me to see so much emphasis on certain mechanics and fears of permadeath when so much of that relies on your hands. I can't remember a single character where I went "I've had enough of this character, and I think their life expectancy should be 0." Obviously certain choices are harder to manage the outcome with when you're worried about survival than others, but it's still in your hand and every mechanic, spell, rule, etc, is there for you to use. It shouldn't be seen as a limiter but an enhancer. Being bad off one day might make you the hero of tomorrow or even the villain.

It happens far too often that people even come to me with "I need rep, what can I do?" when I got so many hooks in the water for them to bite on. I wonder at times if people even ask other members of their factions "Hey, what's going on right now?" I mean, that's the whole point of a faction, working together. And people havn't bothered to go to the guy next to him and say "What are you trying to do right now? Maybe I can help."

Some things I'll obviously have to consult with other DMs over in order to come up with a ruling on results of actions, but most things can be handled right then and there by you.

This world isn't WoW. You can change all kinds of things if you just do it.

So yeah, novels are awesome because they pull story tools out of midair, but guess what, that's what all these mechanics on Sundren are. Tools for you to tell your story and work with, not limiters, but enhancers and choices. Even the laws can be used to bend to your will.

I'm glad that you embrace that method GBX. It's my favorite as well. I'm not keen on plots that have pre-determined endings.

You'll always hear me harp on "player actions" when I reply to Character Requests. In my mind, a DM should be reactive to what the player says he wants to do. I see a lot of focus on the end result of these actions rather than the actions themselves. In any case, I see this a lot in line with what you believe.
    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
    -Bill Maher

Comment

I am not entirely sure how my words inspired this (or partially-inspired), but I have to say I am glad it did.

Truth is, I agree with you GBX. Maybe not about certain mechanics and how they should be done, but about the need for all matters to collectively work for the story of Sundren as a whole. Trust me when I say that not once did I ever doubt your intentions. I don't know you well perhaps, but I know you well enough to believe you have only the best intentions for this server. With all the hard work you have done, I'd be an idiot to doubt you for even a second. In fact, I don't think you get thanked enough for it. The way you make data dance is nothing short of remarkable.

I'll admit I get a little touchy on this particular subject. It's sort of the dividing line between deciding whether many stories I have read are good or just downright awful, so whenever it gets mentioned, I get a little shaky regarding the potential future of Sundren. At times, I get more shaky than I should; even borderline paranoid.

But, that is just because I want Sundren to be a wonderful masterpiece for myself (yes selfish) and for others. I want it to prosper, grow, and even leave an imprint in the minds and hearts that come here. Yeah, I'll admit that's a bit corny in some sense and perhaps even a little emo, but I don't really know how else to describe it so BACK OFF!!!!

*ahem*..er.. ANYway I think it is worth noting that I agree with you. I did come off a bit harsh before and I apologize for that.

I do agree with you in a lot of what you said regarding npcs, and many pcs not seeming to realize how much they can affect. For crying out loud, just look at Osclow's list:
      -Nearly turned to evil after being corrupted by a blade empowered by Bane, nearly killing Hano in the process and is now forced to bear the Tyrant King's mark, keeping it secret from whomever he can. (Mach you scoundrel lol)
      -Organized the assassination of at least two banite pcs, six banite npcs, and successfully faked the death of one former Black Hand member that had turned away from Bane. All while severing all links to his involvement.. with the exception of Amenia of course lol.
      -Worked to create a second copy of Nocte's List to perserve some names that were covered up by Black Hand spies in the Legion, which later led to their discovery and execution.
      -Helped to keep the druids alive and sane during the Xithis war by creating the Immortal Green Song (Uri, you play an excellent Keeper )
      -Struck the final blow against Xithis in the final battle of the Xithis War.
      -Got married and had two kids (Annie's nickname for him is woolhead).
      -It's worth mentioning he did most of this before hitting the old lvl cap of 15.

And this list is nothing compared to some others like Peridan, Hano, Cirion, Clive, at least a dozen more. And nothing here was done on my own, but with others. I'll be the first to admit that anything is possible. We players are the actors and the DM's are the stage. Half the time its all stand-up acts too with no script attatched. So everyone, don't be afraid to be a little wild and crazy and to take chances. I know some of us hold back for unselfish reasons, and God bless you for your selflessness. But, don't be afraid to act your character out as they were meant to be. You don't trust strangers? Then don't necessarily take an npc's word as law. Some guards blocking your way forward? Maybe you can take em. Does it seem like there is only one way forward? Look harder.

Some people don't want to be dynamos, and that's fine. But never be afraid to have your character act as he or she would. True, there are going to be some things you cannot do. But, unless it's a rule or the DM waves their finger, consider it a possibility.
      sigpic
      Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

You inspired my post by saying Novels are great. Hahah! Got me thinking about stories

Comment

I love you snoop. LOL.
          I agree with what you said (I did read more then half of it, damn long ass post). on slight top but off, i been trying figure out a character i would really enjoy for awhile mostly for story, though i always find myself trying put together something for combat because... well i get pwned all the time if im not heavly armored or defenced [Lets face it, Varn seen better days then getting smacked two times in the face.. and died. alright? damn vampires. I sat an hour in the forest with the silent shade.]

After reading this, i hope others get the same way. I want to lean over that cliff edge and jump into a whole new direction compeletly then basing a character in combat terms and sticking a RP backround on him like so many do (I'm eyeing you clerics! even if you got only one level in you -.-). Im going spin the pot around with the wooden spoon now! mahahaha..... maha... ha... maha... ok im done ^.^
          Currents:
          Nothing yet.

Forgottens, as time has slip, so have they.
          Varnz Fury - Born again Druid
          Luke Harper - Seadog of the Sea.

Comment

GBX, I personally agree with everything you said, however I have a quick question.

Originally posted by GodBeastX
            Another example, Mathell's recent escape, which was pushed by me (Not Mathell, so he's guilt free ). Two people ran after him, they're about to catch him and I have an NPC lie and say he's long gone, and they just believe the NPC, talk awhile, and then leave. I was shocked to say the least, but I can see from messages OOC and forum posts they thought there was nothing they can do even though it was their choice not to do anything.
            Shouldn't you ask us to roll "sense motive?" Or should we ask for the roll? Sometimes I get confused because some DMs ask for the rolls, and some not. Besides, people use to lie often, but never roll "bluff".
            "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Comment

If there's no good reason to doubt what someone is saying, there's generally no good reason to roll Sense Motive.

I'm of the opinion that Sense Motive should always be rolled before Bluff or Diplomacy, for the sole purpose that most people who see the latter two rolled immediately act suspicious.

Likewise, even if you don't see a Bluff or Diplomacy roll, that doesn't mean you shouldn't still roll Sense Motive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kajae View Post
                I'm of the opinion that Sense Motive should always be rolled before Bluff or Diplomacy, for the sole purpose that most people who see the latter two rolled immediately act suspicious.
                There you go. If you have reason to doubt someone, roll sense motive. The person may respond with bluff.

Comment

Sometimes they don't, right Morris? I recall a small interrogation in the Viridale where the Sense Motive went unreturned, later to find out he was lying! So sinful
                  "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                  -Bill Maher

Comment

If he doesn't roll bluff back you can still assume he's lying. Not like there's a rule that says "No bluff means I have to believe them."

Comment

Waaaait. When was this?

Comment

As a IRL TT DM, it does get a bit tedious telling players "Now Roll Sense Motive. Now Roll Spot. Now Roll Use Rope," when they're in a situation where it should be obvious to do so. If you're dealing with Joe Idiot NPC and what he's saying doesn't seem to make sense, it's always best to err on the side of caution.

On the other hand, there are times when the player just simply can't realize the situation for what it is, and maybe don't see the bigger picture as well as the DM. But folks, I can honestly say the DMs on the server are pretty good about prompting players for rolls when it's appropriate.
                        Active

Inactive

Cazen - A guy who "knows a guy..."
                        - Nights in Neverwinter (Cazen History)
                        - Back on the Street

Thrice-Cursed Ruslan - An outcast among outcasts
                        - Tales of a Foolish Brother (Ruslan History)

Comment

I do agree with you in a lot of what you said regarding npcs, and many pcs not seeming to realize how much they can affect. For crying out loud, just look at Osclow's list:
                          -Nearly turned to evil after being corrupted by a blade empowered by Bane, nearly killing Hano in the process and is now forced to bear the Tyrant King's mark, keeping it secret from whomever he can. (Mach you scoundrel lol)
                          -Organized the assassination of at least two banite pcs, six banite npcs, and successfully faked the death of one former Black Hand member that had turned away from Bane. All while severing all links to his involvement.. with the exception of Amenia of course lol.
                          -Worked to create a second copy of Nocte's List to perserve some names that were covered up by Black Hand spies in the Legion, which later led to their discovery and execution.
                          -Helped to keep the druids alive and sane during the Xithis war by creating the Immortal Green Song (Uri, you play an excellent Keeper )
                          -Struck the final blow against Xithis in the final battle of the Xithis War.
                          -Got married and had two kids (Annie's nickname for him is woolhead).
                          -It's worth mentioning he did most of this before hitting the old lvl cap of 15.
                          Just putting this out there but he also killed a pregnant elf... <--- That = Evil os.

But I like what you said snoop and being in a few of your events and being pulled into a pocket plane just because a Red Wizard felt the need was cool and everything I did you worked around and kept it going.. A lot of DM events I have been in have done this and it makes me feel all tingly inside.
                          Last edited by Urithrand; 03-03-2010, 06:08 AM. Reason: Marked Silas's quote - was confusing
                          "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."-Winston Churchill

"A warrior is measured in sacrifice beyond death for he who rises not once but twice shall offer all those nearby you pay the price" Banite Hero

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/126/rwee.png <-- New home.

Ju'eir- http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6286/sdfsdf.png
                          The power of the hunt.

Comment

Working...
                          X