Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Attack, the details...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Attack, the details...

Okay, I know Power Attack does an extra +6 dmg and still only gets a -3 penalty to attack when using a weapon like a greatsword, greataxe, or falchion as a human.

However, I've been reading some forums and it seems there are a few things I did not notice, or are not fully agreed upon by others, so I figured I'd start the best place I know to get the facts straight: here.

Do you still get +6 dmg -3 AB modifier when you are a human wielding a weapon like a longsword or scimitar? I thought I read a few people saying you only get +3 dmg.

Also, do you get +12 dmg when wielding a large weapon or a 1-handed weapon with two hands and using Improved Power Attack?

And last but not least.. I heard the bonus damage does NOT apply to rapiers when wielded by a human, despite them being a one-handed weapon. Is this true?

Sorry if these are 'noobish' questions (or whatever term they use for such), but I am extremely curious.
    sigpic
    Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

here's the deal for humans:

medium weapons (longsword, scimi) 1-handed+ PA: +3 dam, -3 attack
    medium or large weapons 2-handed + PA: +6 dam, -3 attack
    medium/large weapons 2-handed + IPA: +12 dam, -6 attack

power attack does not apply to rapiers since they are considered light weapons for humans (and thusly count for weapon finesse despite being medium weapons). also, if a human is only wielding a rapier, it only counts as a 1-handed weapon (you dont get the 50% str damage bonus)

i know the above from in-game experience; one of my characters is a human who was using a rapier but just got power attack. i had to switch to longswords to take advantage of it.

hope that helps
    Aggribayl Blakfyre - The man known as Bayl, aka Little Red Riding Hood, aka The Shield, aka Mr. Leaving, aka Kyle Rendell
    Cryok, Son of Frigiss - aka Fross-Choppa
    The Kegfists - Dwarven brothers likely to die under eachothers' axes
    Jarvis P. Bloggins III - Gnome with a Long Title
    (And too many more to bother listing)

Comment

Favoured power attacks work differently to advertised!
      It says they double the power attack bonus but in fact they just add either +3 or +6 for power attack and improved power attack respectively.

Can you imagine if they worked as stated? A Greataxe weilding ranger/frenzied berserker would be swinging around +48 damage on their favoured enemies even before applying their generous strength bonus
      Originally posted by roguethree
      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

It's quite simple. If wielding in two hands, the power attack bonus doubles. It's that easy. Longsword in two hands is as good as a greatsword in two hands where power attack comes into play.

Comment

same for elves?
          same for dwarfs?
          how does it work for hins?
          Elandra: A former Red Blade, now roams the wilderness with the Lone wolf as her guide
          Alexandra: Ever faithful (just shy of a Zealot)
          Yodglum: May Kossuth's flame light your way and burn those in it!
          Ash: Dusty old miner of still looking for the "mother load" on Exigo's stag

Shaving kittens: not an official sport, but fun just the same

Comment

Yes. For example, if a halfling wields a longsword, it gets used in 2H, so you get double power attack.

Comment

I can assure you from experience it works with hins, quite well... my favorite characters I've ever made were hin barbarian/frenzied berserkers and they can deal crap loads of dmg with power attack and imp power attack.
              My to-be toon:
              Shafiq Al-Mawt: Zakharan myrkulite.

My tomb of old toons:
              Cruven Schlachten - Blood Reaver of Garagos, Blackwood Company Elite, Hellstrom Head of Security
              Marcus Waynard- Horned Harbinger, fear his best bud Frank!... and Jim, Bob, Sue, and Jane...
              Davlamin Frostfoot - Frosty Snowflake, the Frozen Fist of Auril, sworn enemy of the Second Wind fire pit.

Click here to see the full image of my avatar, by Algido.

Comment

Originally posted by nezzerscape View Post
                same for elves?
                same for dwarfs?
                how does it work for hins?
                Basically, medium sized creatures (humans, dwarves, elves) have the option of wielding medium (longsword, etc) or small weapons 1-handed. Large weapons have to be held in both hands.

For small creatures (hin, etc), the same 'rule' applies, but with small weapons. Therefore, a halfling can use a longsword (w the martial weaps feat), but must use it 2-handed. Small creatures cannot use large weapons at all.

The doubling of power attack damage still applies no matter your size, so long as the weapon is 2-handed.

new, related question:
                Can someone know whether small creatures can use heavy or tower shields? i havent tried this myself
                Aggribayl Blakfyre - The man known as Bayl, aka Little Red Riding Hood, aka The Shield, aka Mr. Leaving, aka Kyle Rendell
                Cryok, Son of Frigiss - aka Fross-Choppa
                The Kegfists - Dwarven brothers likely to die under eachothers' axes
                Jarvis P. Bloggins III - Gnome with a Long Title
                (And too many more to bother listing)

Comment

Originally posted by cdnspr View Post
                  Can someone know whether small creatures can use heavy or tower shields? i havent tried this myself
                  Heavy yes, tower no, not even with monkey grip i dont think
                  My to-be toon:
                  Shafiq Al-Mawt: Zakharan myrkulite.

My tomb of old toons:
                  Cruven Schlachten - Blood Reaver of Garagos, Blackwood Company Elite, Hellstrom Head of Security
                  Marcus Waynard- Horned Harbinger, fear his best bud Frank!... and Jim, Bob, Sue, and Jane...
                  Davlamin Frostfoot - Frosty Snowflake, the Frozen Fist of Auril, sworn enemy of the Second Wind fire pit.

Click here to see the full image of my avatar, by Algido.

Comment

Working...
                  X