Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authority and Permissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
    * Spellcasting in public is not illegal unless the spells are illegal. Necromancy is not outlawed, but rather specific spells are (ones with evil tags; I realize we need to clean up our documentation on this). For example, False Life is not evil. However, casting can be seen as a hostile action. Keep that in mind. Additionally, the general public would probably react with fear and awe to someone casting a series of spells.
    Here's a question I just thought up.

In PnP summoning spells take on an alignment descriptor based on what they summon. If you summon a celestial creature it becomes an [Good] spell and if you summon a fiendish creature it becomes an [Evil] spell. We've now got summoning doing those things with the new summon lists. Should summoning the fiendish creatures be considered using an [Evil] spell?

Comment

We won't do it that way. In PNP, the spell allows casters a measure of choice in what they summon. A NE cleric could choose to summon a neutral elemental creature instead of a fiendish one. The way it's coded, you don't have that choice in Sundren. We'll say, the spell itself isn't evil, but the summon result could be. A DC 15 + spell level Knowledge: Planar check would allow you to figure out what kind of creature it is.
      "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
      -Bill Maher

Comment

Interesting and what kind of Lore check would be necessary to know what kind of creature it was?
        sigpic
        Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
          I'm not sure we have a post that sums it all up, but I'll try to get you an idea of how it works.

- Sundren Military is THE enforcers of Sundren. Arrests, policing, etc.

- Hands of Mundus Magus+ ranks tend to lead the military (Much like you see Gandalf in Lord of the Rings) since they represent the founding organization of Sundren. Initiates don't tend to have that position. They're like squires and are Hands in training, so don't expect to be pushed around by initiates
          So an Initiate is about the same as a legion recruit, they can report laws being broken, but do not have the authority to act on what they see?

So an initiate could try defuse a possible fight or advise a law breaker to correct a behaviour but must stop short of actually using force, magic or otherwise?

Comment

At this point in time, I'd say Lore is non-applicable. It was useful a year ago when these new skills were introduced, but at this point, we should embrace the knowledge skills. Sorry hoss--you have plenty of other advantages

Initiates and Legion recruits could arrest people when they see them breaking the laws. They do have the authority to act on what they see. The laws on magic are documented in the Laws section of the Wiki.
            "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
            -Bill Maher

Comment

Thayan Enclaves are considered thayan lands..When an enclave is established within a government,it is agreed upon that whatever lands that Enclave owns is considered thayan and thayan law....Sort of like trade concession law,but ten times better for an enclave.

Also,I thought in the wilds(Viridale and Mossdale...etc), that was out of Sundren's jurisdiction far as laws go..

Comment

It is not out of their jurisdiction. That'd be like saying the wilds of Montana don't fall under US jurisdiction.

Sundren is a nation with borders. They believe they have law enforcement within them. Now, the druids might disagree -- but it's like those crazy midwest states that spawn militias all the time.

Sundren doesn't give any special rights to the druids. They recognize they are a power and consider them an ally, but they don't recognize them as a nation or anything else. Sundren can enforce its laws within its borders as it sees fit; but some areas are more troublesome to enforce than others, and quite possibly lethal.
                -Bill Maher

Comment

The question under those circumstances is whether the druids recognize the Sundren government as having jurisdiction within the forest

Sundren doesn't see the druids as a law enforcing group, and the druids don't see Sundren as welcome guests patrolling within the forest, so there is a tentative agreement to live and let live in those situations. Sundren stays out of the forest to a great extent so as not to provoke unnecessary hostility from the druids, but as Peridan used as an example, if there was a wanted felon hiding in there, they'd still go in to retrieve them.

It's not always a case of jurisdiction - it's usually a case of politics, and these can't be documented because they change fluidly depending on who hates who at any given time.
                  Lorlen Locke: "Amazing how the righteous commit acts of tyranny and terror almost as beautiful as our own under their banner of "good". We merely call a spade a spade."

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."

Comment

Also the Mossclaw keep Sundren soldiers from running around the forests doing whatever they want. That's the whole point of the border camps, to keep the mossclaw in.

Comment

reading the laws again, the first thing that pops into my mind is that most of them (or the ones about violence) all refer to the action against the "good races" of Sundren.

They way I read this is that I can beat the crap out of an orc (grey/half), tiefling, drow, deugar, or other dubious race and it wouldn't be breaking the law....
                      Butch: "You know, when I was a kid, I always thought I was gonna grow up to be a hero."
                      Sundance: "Well it's to late now."

Toons:
                      Mittens Whitepaw (Feral Druid),
                      Rose Thimblefoot (Simple Seamstress),
                      Melody Mourningsoul (Cursed Bard)
                      Katalina Zephyr (Guardian of the Grave)
                      Gabrielle Dumoine (the Duchess of Waterdeep... 'onestly...)

Comment

Working...
                      X