Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defensive casting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive casting

Hello,

I would like ask for help. I do not exactly understand two things:

1. defensive casting mod - what's the advantage or disadvantage of this when activated,
    2. combat casting (may it be I understand it, but I'm not sure of it).

I was trying to find some information about it, I checked Wiki for NWN and NWN2 and I still must say, I'm not too wise of it. Especially the first one. Thanks for your help. I'm not too expierenced witch. Mage.

And please as simple answers as possible, no Wiki copies. Thanks again.

Defensive Casting: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Defensive_casting
    Defensive casting mode allows casting without triggering an attack of opportunity. However a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) must be made or else the spell is lost.

The concentration check is a variable DC from 15 (cantrips) to 24 (level 9 spell). A concentration skill of 23 or more allows this check to be basically bypassed in all circumstances, since a roll of 1 is not an automatic failure.

Failure means the spell fails totally. For a full explanation of casting a spell see Casting a Spell.
    [edit] Bonuses to Defensive casting

* Skill Focus: Concentration adds 3 to the concentration skill.
    * Combat Casting adds 4 to any checks in defensive casting mode.

In almost all circumstances, Skill Focus: Concentration is a better feat to choose compared to Combat Casting. The 3 bonus to concentration works for the base concentration check against damage, DC being the damage dealt to you, separately for each attack that damages you during spellcasting, as well as for some other general skill checks.
    Combat Casting: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Casting
    Specifics: The character is adept at casting spells in combat. He gains a +4 bonus to the Concentration check when trying to cast spells while in Defensive casting mode.

Eldritch knights automatically gain this feat at level one.

Use: Automatic
    Originally posted by Saulus
    Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Hello!

Like it or not, you're going to get Wiki copies, or atleast the feat/mode descriptions.

1. Defensive Casting:
      Defensive casting mode allows casting without triggering an attack of opportunity. However a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) must be made or else the spell is lost.

When you are not using Defensive Casting, and attempt to cast a spell in combat, all enemies within melee range have a free Attack of Opportunity (AoO) against the caster - If any of these attacks hit then the caster must roll a concentration check, the DC of this is equal to the damage taken.

With Defensive Casting enabled, then the creatures get no AoO, but the caster must instead make a single Concentration skill check with a DC of 15+ the level of the spell being cast.

The advantage of engaging Defensive Casting is that you don't have AoOs, and have a set DC to go against - In some situations however, either with very high Armour Class, Damage Reduction or other factors some people prefer not to use it.

In either case, failing the Concentration check means that the spell is interrupted, not cast and lost from use until the character rests.

2. Combat Casting (Feat):
      The character is adept at casting spells in combat. He gains a +4 bonus to the Concentration check when trying to cast spells while in Defensive casting mode.

Not much to explain on the description - The Concentration check roll while in Defensive Casting mode gains +4. This effectively means that the DC becomes 11+Spell level.

The Combat Casting feat is also a pre-requisite for some PRC classes.

Hope that clears it up.

Edit: Dammnit! Took to long to type and Cornuto beat me to it!
      It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
      Sydney Smith.

Comment

For a non-wiki explanation, here's this...

Performing certain actions (drinking potions and casting spells for instance) in combat allows enemies within melee range a free attack against you. The justification being is that you're no-longer defending yourself from attacks, and are devoted to this non-combat action.

When you enter defensive casting mode your enemies no longer get an free attack against you when you cast spells, but the trade off is that the spell fails unless you pass a concentration check. The difficulty of the check is 15+the spell's level.

Taking the combat casting feat gives you a +4 modifier to pass this check.

The wiki I quoted above recommends taking skill focus concentration instead. This makes sense because that feat adds a +3 modifier to all concentration checks. So while it's worse by 1 in passing defensive casting checks, it applies to all other concentration checks as well -- such as the concentration check you must pass if you take damage while casting a spell.
        Originally posted by Saulus
        Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

Oops. OK, well I understand now, I think. So .. I was just trying your concentration and writing skills. GOTCHA! Both of you. Hihi .. Hi. Ehm.

By the way, if I take both the feats and let the defensive casting mode activated I do not need to care about these casting failures anymore, right? I am not stupid, no, I am just asking (and I would prefer simple Yes or No answer please).

Comment

No.

With both feats and defensive casting you still have to worry about spell failure.

In defensive casting you must still pass a concentration check, the target for this is DC15+Spell level The two feats (Skill Focus:Concentration, and Combat Casting) reduce this target by +3 and +4 respectively. With both feats this would still be an effective DC of 8+Spell Level (0-9)
            It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
            Sydney Smith.

Comment

Working...
            X