Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A confession

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A confession

I am shamed to say I broke PvP rules today by porting away from battle, sorry to everyone involved Im sure you all have your own reasons for attacking me. It seems since PvP has been slackened I have been attacked more than a dozen times for no reason at all and I was just getting fed up with it that is all..

Again Apologies.

Thief~
    Originally posted by roguethree
    If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

No hard feelings on my end.
    PvP happens, and usually somebody dies. Your character was innocent, but there was ic reason to attack him.
    I hope we can roleplay together in the future.
    Aggribayl Blakfyre - The man known as Bayl, aka Little Red Riding Hood, aka The Shield, aka Mr. Leaving, aka Kyle Rendell
    Cryok, Son of Frigiss - aka Fross-Choppa
    The Kegfists - Dwarven brothers likely to die under eachothers' axes
    Jarvis P. Bloggins III - Gnome with a Long Title
    (And too many more to bother listing)

Comment

There wasn't any complaints about you Thief. Also the PVP rules were never relaxed, the penalty for death has only been relaxed. The PVP rules have been the way they are since I can remember.

I know I, personally, only attacked because I didn't really think it was right a wizard got killed by a rat in the middle of a camp and was just going to sit there after wards "Warming self by fire" That was my only reason. I figured the wizard's fire spell wasn't going to kill you and you'd slap him around and that'd be it.

It probably didn't help we already had a large amount of cats RP'ing with us before you showed up as a rat. The animal RP sort of loses novelty after awhile. Since you can only have about three reactions to an animal. Pet it, ignore it, or kill it. And since chickens, cats, rats, and frogs are constantly filling your screen with hissing, barking, clucking, nibbling, it's hard to pick ignore.

Comment

Porting away? You mean using the area transition? Since when was that against the rules?
        "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
        -Bill Maher

Comment

I know it is against the rules to hit a transition to go buff or heal and then come right back.

Comment

Yes, that is true. It's also against the rules to lay traps by transitions. But it is not against the rules to flee.

I think maybe he's talking about logging off in frustration?
            "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
            -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
              There wasn't any complaints about you Thief. Also the PVP rules were never relaxed, the penalty for death has only been relaxed. The PVP rules have been the way they are since I can remember.

I know I, personally, only attacked because I didn't really think it was right a wizard got killed by a rat in the middle of a camp and was just going to sit there after wards "Warming self by fire" That was my only reason. I figured the wizard's fire spell wasn't going to kill you and you'd slap him around and that'd be it.

It probably didn't help we already had a large amount of cats RP'ing with us before you showed up as a rat. The animal RP sort of loses novelty after awhile. Since you can only have about three reactions to an animal. Pet it, ignore it, or kill it. And since chickens, cats, rats, and frogs are constantly filling your screen with hissing, barking, clucking, nibbling, it's hard to pick ignore.
              I don't think that was the instance he was referring to, or at least I hope not. For my part, I of course knew OOCly Falmari is a level billion Druid, but to my IC knowlege it was just a rat running around the campfire, one that was dealt with as a zealous Mystic Theurge of Kossuth would. I pretty much expected the same... some druidic ass-kicking in return.... and I got it.
              ~~~ || Characters: Pythios Wyrmborn || ~~~

Comment

I believe it is not necessary 'illegal' but frowned upon to use area transitions to flee battle, but only if that transition leads to the world map, not if it leads to a nearby area.

This makes sense as fleeing toward a camp full of soldiers/witnesses/etc is an ideal way to flee a bad situation, especially if your attackers decided to not exactly play fair and bring a lot of people with him/her. You can't be expected to sit around with your finger in your nose when your pc would realistically flee, nor is it fair for you to just sit around waiting for your attacker to attack once you reach a certain point of 'safety'. Kalifer himself has done this at least once. Besides, they can chase you if they want. They would probably get mowed down by a truckload of npcs, but they can still try.

Fleeing into the world map.. Well, I don't think it's against the rules, but I can see how some might consider it an unwritten rule. That's semi-cheap, though it has its own explanations in certain circumstances that I am sure would make plenty of sense.

Did you flee into a nearby area ToN or into the world map?
                sigpic
                Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

That makes little sense, Silas.

Take Argyle Keep for instance. You want to flee from an attacker. Are you going to run in circles around the map until he gives up following you considering world map points are the only way to leave the map?

I've never frowned on World Map Transition to flee and I don't know any dev who has.

Comment

Originally posted by Usurper View Post
                    I know it is against the rules to hit a transition to go buff or heal and then come right back.
                    That's what he did. All is forgiven and forgotten.

Comment

Take Argyle Keep for instance. You want to flee from an attacker. Are you going to run in circles around the map until he gives up following you considering world map points are the only way to leave the map?

I've never frowned on World Map Transition to flee and I don't know any dev who has.
                      Fleeing into the world map.. Well, I don't think it's against the rules, but I can see how some might consider it an unwritten rule. That's semi-cheap, though it has its own explanations in certain circumstances that I am sure would make plenty of sense.
                      ^
                      |
                      *points to this paragraph once more*

Now if you want to disagree with my opinion that it is 'semi-cheap', by all means go ahead. I've had at least three or four incidents where people have fled from Os in this way. I've not given one of those people crap about it, nor will I ever raise a stink about it.

I see now that he buffed, healed, and came back. Again semi-cheap imo, but I'm not sure it is against the official rules.
                      sigpic
                      Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

I've found it can often depend on the maturity of both parties involved. The one that fled can be a good sport and at least mention which new area they ran towards.

And in the next area, they can, at the very least, offer for the other person to roll Survival as a Tracking check, for instance.

What can be seen as a bit poor taste is when an individual starts slinging insults and all sort of inflammatory comments In Character, and when it finally comes down to violent consequences, the person just zones to another region, with no recourse for those chasing him.

Let's be honest. We're playing in a real-time medium, and on top of that, 99% of communication is done through the text variety. Doing anything except specific point and click actions are going to take some time to represent, even for people with high typing WPM. Not to mention, how often have we seen it where we're in the middle of typing an action, so that we don't immediately have to resort to mechanical PvP, and the other person just bolts away, with no typed message? Again, this isn't illegal, against the rules, or the like. But it simply compounds and illustrates the situations that are present in PWs.

By all means, I agree that it shouldn't be made illegal or an unauthorized action to zone to the world map during PvP. But I certainly see Silas's point, considering how some people will just zone to a remote place and not mention where they went, as if they suddenly lost their pursuer with no checks, no rolls, nothing.

Comment

This thread has become a discussion of PvP etiquette, which is all well and good, but it initially started as ToN posting his thoughts on something or other that happened. Please feel free to start a PvP etiquette thread, but I'm closing this one.
                          I got one leg missin'
                          How do I get around?

One Leg Missin'
                          Meet the Feebles

Comment

Working...
                          X