Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unchallenging Area Rule Removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unchallenging Area Rule Removed

Since players no longer incur an XP penalty for PVP death, we have removed the "unchallenging area" rule.

Previously, this meant characters were severely limited in the amount of time they could spend in an area if they received no XP from kills there. DnD is about challenge. A DM would never set up repeated events for you where your foes posed you no challenge--nor would he present events that were unbeatable. That was the spirit of this rule.

I hope folks can retain the spirit of the rule and not go overboard now that it has been lifted. Yes, you can go to these areas to get crafting goods. Yes, you can defend areas for your faction. Please don't go overboard if you're high level. We have only a few XP areas available, and people are more or less forced to go to these spots for XP gain. If you're camping out there all the time, you're taking advantage of a bottleneck. Use discression.

If I get a lot of complaints, we may reinstitute this rule. We'll take a wait-and-see approach for now.

Enjoy
    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
    -Bill Maher

This opens up the posibiity of power-leveling lowbies using a high level buffer to spawn more monsters. Is that still bad?

Comment

Yes, that is still bad
      sigpic
      Gravity is a myth; Earth just sucks.

>>> Flame Warriors! <<<

Comment

So not 10-15 level druids can walk around the forest keeping people from touching trees and rocks? O.O
        "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."-Winston Churchill

"A warrior is measured in sacrifice beyond death for he who rises not once but twice shall offer all those nearby you pay the price" Banite Hero

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/126/rwee.png <-- New home.

Ju'eir- http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6286/sdfsdf.png
        The power of the hunt.

Comment

Well, I don't make the rules, but if a high level buffed me and I ran off to kill lowbie monsters, I personally don't think that'd be an exploit or bad. It's not like I could level faster than my cap anyway. I know it's risk vs reward, but sometimes it's who you know and not what you do

I'm sure the DMs feel differently though.

Comment

Getting buffed is different from getting babysat, GBX. High level chars summon a ton more monsters, and even a really low level character with stoneskin and 3 points fast healing is hard to kill.

Comment

Well, if they're in the area with you doing that, they should be in your party. If you still get exp with them in your party, more power to you I could make code to count them as in your party if they do that though ... *Rubs chin*

Comment

It is cheating the system in my eyes... and if I personally catch you doing it, expect unpleasant surprises.
                sigpic
                Gravity is a myth; Earth just sucks.

>>> Flame Warriors! <<<

Comment

Balors are part of DM events, too! I encourage more DM events for exploiters!

Comment

We don't mind if you get buffed up before you head out. If they are tagging along with you for healing or buffing, they should be partied with you. This is considered an exploit around the engine's party system and there would be consequences for abusing it.

This kind of stuff comes down to common sense and moderation folks. Again, if we see level 10-15 druids always hassling lower levels with PVP, we'll take action. We'd rather not jump to that conclusion yet though.
                    "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                    -Bill Maher

Comment

... I already take action. Am I evil for it? *Looks at his list of players killed with high level paladin*

Comment

You mean god GBX.. No one has been able to hit him...
                        "I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."-Winston Churchill

"A warrior is measured in sacrifice beyond death for he who rises not once but twice shall offer all those nearby you pay the price" Banite Hero

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/126/rwee.png <-- New home.

Ju'eir- http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/6286/sdfsdf.png
                        The power of the hunt.

Comment

first of all i would like to say that i like these changes as it will provide more opportunities to rp. quick question though, would higher lvl characters be allowed to help lower lvl characters complete quests if they are in the same party?
                          "Thanks is best given in the form of gold." -Kyle Rendell

Comment

I would say no. We may have to implement special kill rules on that. Again, this goes back to challenge level.
                            -Bill Maher

Comment

Curious, do higher levels still spawn more/stronger mobs? Hills for example, I always found it lame when I went out there with 2-3 level 3-4s who should be able to handle the zone easily but then die to the 10 Warriors that spawned due to a high level passing through a short time before (yes, I know they do de-spawn).

That death still incurs a penalty which sucks if you have no recourse and were not expecting it.
                              The difference between a rogue and a hero often comes down to who tells the tale. – Danilo Thann describing Elaith Craulnober, in Dream Spheres

Avatar comes from a rather amusing web comic.

Comment

Working...
                              X