Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A STUDY OF THE WAYS OF THE ILMATARI (collected essays)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A STUDY OF THE WAYS OF THE ILMATARI (collected essays)

A STUDY OF THE WAYS OF THE ILMATARI (collected essays)

penned by Cybil Gelley, servant and favoured of the Broken God

Preamble
    There is sometimes confusion, even in the ranks of the followers of those of their own faith, about what the tenants of a faith are. Herein are my views and interpretations of the Ilmatari, followers of the Broken God. I thank first of all the Revered Brother Melchior and Sister Linn for allowing me this opportunity. And, Lady Tamryn Jorandur, whose written treaties A COMMENTARY ON THE CODE OF TORM, Volume 1, I was given to read before starting this journey.

These essays were penned to try to solidify my understanding of the Ilmatari Clergy, since my own study was, admittedly lacking in my youth by my own volition – having spent far to much time in the smithy, and not enough in the classroom or the temple. These are my own views, and how I see them. Scholarly debate can begin, after I have completed my own analyses; and practice, will make me understand them fully.
    Bree - Bookkeeper and diplomat of Exigo.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
    Cybil Gelley (Retired)
    Perry Turnipfodder - aspiring talent, happy chronicler.

chapter 1

1.A Harsh world

Despite the fact that everything in the world does not go smoothly, to the will of the good, Solace can be found. Why is this solace offered; why offer it in the first place; And why do we take the pain of the world away from others when we can?

The world is indeed full of harsh realities, and the tyrannies of the evil and unjust, and the whim of cruel fates. Understanding this is but one small step, stepping past it to compassion to help those in need, is another. Standing against it yet one more step. Finally, if need be, dying to stop it from happening is a final noble sacrifice. We offer these things because it is right. To know that the world is harsh and to offer someone peace against it, to take what burdens we can ourselves, this is what drives us. Even those that are cynical with the world, and I have known some, still offer this solace to others, to help them with their pain and suffering. Others would turn their heads and walk away from someone in such need, we do not, nor should we. Even those, perhaps especially so, that we do not agree with, that ask; they must have our help as well. We do not force our aid however. Some may find it oddly pleasing to face the word in this manner of suffering. It is not our duty to force our views on them; unless they are dying, then we should encourage then and only then, that they pray with us to the Lord of the Rack. So how do we accomplish this; what makes the difference between understanding the doctrine, and the practice of it.

Offer kind words of kindness and understanding, comforting those in need and calming fears of pain and horror. These are the first of the things we must do. In order to help someone, to let them see that their pain is not meaningless, that there is someone to help with it, is the first step in healing. And we are healers. Healers of the suffering, pain, loss and torment those that seek us out are looking for. From the most simple of aches to the horrors of the world and beyond, these are what we must offer solace for. When we are asked for help, it should be freely given. When it cannot be asked for, it should be freely given. When it is refused, it should be respected and not forced. Keeping in mind that knowledge of those you help should be encouraged. I once offered help to a young woman, succumbing to poison and in violent seizures. I did not recognize her Symbol and I was mistaken in aiding her, despite the fact that she could not communicate with me to tell me to stop, I offered assistance. She was a Talonite Priestess; one who enjoys experiencing the pleasure of poisons that her goddess offers. I offer this as a cautionary tale. She would not have succumbed to the morbidity of the poison, but I cured her of it because of my lack of knowledge. Respect your patient, and listen to their wishes. If they are to weak to fight for themselves, or facing something they cannot handle, step in and take some of their burden for them.

It is our duty to stand up against Tyranny and try to right the injustices caused against those that we should be helping. Standing against tyranny can take many forms, large and small. We do what we can to keep the people in our care safe, and free from it. The same is said about injustices. When something is seen, and it is unjust, it must be corrected. As much as our diety helps Tyr to see without sight, so must we make sure that the law doesn’t punish those that it should not. Compassion and forgiveness should be the way of an Ilmatari when it comes to the law. Balance the sensibilities of these with the meaning of the law to find an empathetic way. As for tyranny, it must be opposed. Stand up for those that cannot stand up for themselves; take their burden and face down the tyrannical. Make them see the error of their ways, or, failing that, do what you must to protect those in your care.

Death is not a terrible thing if it has meaning. Death in the cause of what is right and just, has great meaning. It becomes a symbol. One should not run out and seek it though. Face it if it comes, yes, but do not run foolhardily into it. Stand for what you believe, lead by example, even though you may not have always done such in the past, it is your actions that will speak to those that see you, those that look up to you. Martyrdom is a noble and just way to die. Charging blindly off to correct some perceived injustice that no one knows about, is not. Balance what is needed now, with what will help in the future. Face death with dignity if it comes, but sacrifice your life for those that need or want your help.

But why do we do it in the first place; Take away someone’s burdens? We do not take away all of them, unless we have to. We take what we can, to allow them to heal, to function again and grow strong. Does this make them weak, or us? Some would think so, but it does not. We are merely allowing them time to heal, away from the pains that would slow or reverse processes of normal healing. Healing of the body, we can do with divine guidance and prayer; healing the ills and pains of the spirit and mind, take time and patience. Let us take the burdens that will allow them to heal, we needn’t always take them all, all the time, but enough to allow them to heal and return to life, free of the most troubling burdens. Endure the pain of others, so that they do not have endure it themselves; you may end up sacrificing part of your own being for it, but that may be necessary.

Becky Dragonhin - Sword of the Loyal Fury, Knight of the Triad... the only Good hin in Sundren???
    Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

chapter 2

2.Protecting the healer

Something that took me time to realize was this. We cannot truly help others, unless we can help ourselves. How do we imbed ourselves in the lives of those whom we seek to help, and keep ourselves out of the turmoil that surrounds them? This is one of the most difficult things to do, and harder to describe, but easy enough a trap to fall into. We must strive to stay objective and keep our compassion and empathy, without being subjects and starting to fall into the turmoil of those around us.

Again, this is something that can be described, and understood, but until it is done in practice, is difficult to understand. Sometimes stepping away and looking at it from a distance is needed, and there is no shame in that. We seek to endure the pain of others when we can, to allow them to heal without the burdens they carry. We must do so, without succumbing to be one of their burdens. Remaining compassionate and empathetic without falling into the troubles those that we heal face, is not easy. It is a skill, like any other, that takes time, and wisdom to understand, and intelligence to realize when it is happening.

Keeping in mind that life is hard – it is meant to be in many ways, especially for those that we help the most, the sick and downtrodden, the slaves and the tortured – we must keep an objective eye. We can and must immerse ourselves to understand what is happening, but we cannot become a direct part to it unless it is absolutely necessary. We can take a burden away, without being unduly attached to that burden; we can carry a burden, with dignity and acceptance, instead of feeling the weight of it. We are not along in our ministrations. We have help, and we can carry the burdens of others, knowing that no matter what happens, Ilmater will be with us to help us carry those burdens, and he will be with those that carry their own burdens. Accept them with solace and comfort, when you carry the burdens of others, you are closer to your faith than others are to their own. Be at peace, and you will understand the difference between being a subject of the burdens you carry, and being the object that bears them.

Cybil Gelley (Retired)

Comment

Working...
      X