Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zim

Father,

I apologize for the suddenness of events, but I must leave town immediately. I am afraid I will no longer be welcome here, and I fear my family will face hard times should I stay. The lieutenant has been up to his favorite tricks again and this time I could not stand aside; the Thatcher family has seen enough grief without his crude advances making things worse, and I feel that, contrary to his education, an act of near-rape is not typically effective in making a woman's heart swoon with love.

In any case, I intend to head south. I have heard of a new settlement that is very nearly as remote as this one is, and I was never thrilled about the idea of becoming a lumberjack in any case. I shall write as the opportunity arises.

Zim
    *sealed with a runic 'Z' symbol*
    "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle." -- Frederick Douglass

myspace.com/ghost5956

*Notice of Warrant*

Zim Karakkan

Wanted individual is human, medium height and light build, with dark hair streaked with blond lines. He can most likely be found at his family farm on the northern side of Lonelywood.

Charges include assault on a superior officer, civil disobedience, fleeing a lawful civil authority, and others, and he is to be remanded into militia custody for immediate trial. Direct all questions and concerns to my office.

Given in my hand,

Lieutenant Olaf Malanfore
    Bryn Shander Militia

Mikel,

Bring that snot Karakkan in as soon as you can get a squad together. I've had his rank stripped and I want him before the magistrate before sundown tomorrow. Don't kill him, but he doesn't have to be pretty for his court date; I'd hold it as a personal favor, in fact, if you wipe that gods-damned smile off his face before you bring him in. With any luck he'll resist arrest but that's hardly relevant at this point.

Olaf
    "If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle." -- Frederick Douglass

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Lieutenant Malanfore:

While I appreciate the assistance from the good men of Bryn Shander in dealing with our orc problem, I kindly ask you to keep yourself well away from issues of an internal matter. I have been informed of the situation involving Private Karakkan and as his commanding officer I shall be dealing with the matter personally under our internal disciplinary regulations. He is most certainly not available for trial under Bryn Shander law, nor do you have the authority to demote him or any other of my men under loan to your unit. Any further transgressions by your militiamen shall be considered grave violations of our agreement.

Sergeant-at-Arms Ulric Hayness
      Chief NCO
      Lonelywood Watch

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

"Come."
        "Sir."
        "Ye gods, Zim, stand at ease."
        "Sir."
        "What's all this about Malanfore?"
        "Couldn't say, sir."
        "He appears to have a rather large bone to pick with you. Well..I say bone, but it's more like a club with a nail in it. Still nothing to say?"
        "Perhaps I rubbed him the wrong way, sir."
        "You most certainly have. He wants me to turn you over to him for trial in Bryn Shander."
        "Sir."
        "Nothing to say to that, either?"
        "Thank you, sir."
        "Thank you for what?"
        "For not sending me back to Bryn Shander, sir."
        "You don't know I'm not going to."
        "Yes, sir."
        "He wants to try you for attempted murder now."
        "Wasn't trying to kill him, sir."
        "Well, that's good..."
        "Could give it a shot if it'll make everyone happy, sir."
        "Alright, enough of that."
        "Just trying to toe the line, sir. Hate for the paperwork to be mucked up, sir."
        "Paperwork be damned, if I give you over you'd never make it to trial. I suspect you'd be shot trying to escape."
        "Doubt that, sir. He can't shoot very well, sir."
        "Alright, now, that's enough. Half of what got you into this is your mouth. If you'd filed a report instead of cracking wise and breaking his nose we could have..."
        "Could have what, sir? What would have been in that report that everyone here didn't already know and had sat on, sir?"
        "What's your father going to say about this, eh?"
        "He'll probably say 'you should have kicked him inna fork', sir."
        "Ah, yes. Well, knowing the man I can't argue with that. But that still leaves us with a certain young private whose continued existence is causing a certain amount of...friction...in a bad place at a bad time."
        "Frankly, sir...I was thinking of leaving. Not much of a career here, sir. Not if I'm not a fisherman or logger."
        "...hm. Perhaps that would be for the best. We need Bryn Shander's help, Zim, and I really can't afford to lose their loaned units over this."
        "Sir."
        "Well...then, perhaps you may want to accelerate your plans."
        "Sir."
        "You're a good man, Zim...I can give you a little money to get you on your way. Ah...and you intend to continue a military career?
        "Sir."
        "Was that a 'yes, sir' or a 'no, sir'?"
        "It was more of an 'undecided, sir'."
        "Well, I think you have a bright future in that field if you can be persuaded to not physically assault your future commanders."
        "Sir."
        "I shall write you a letter of recommendation. Perhaps that will assist you more than the money will."
        "Thank you, sir."
        "Don't thank me. Stowing your arse on the next outgoing coach will solve about a dozen different problems for me right now."
        "Nevertheless, sir."
        "Alright, then. Grant will meet you tomorrow morning. Try to stay out of trouble until then."
        "Sir."
        "Dismissed, private."
        "Sir. Thank you, sir."

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Captain Rixen:

I would like to apply for consideration as a permanent member of the Sundarian Legion. While I recognize that the Legion appears to be offering only contract work at this time, I feel certain that I can make a greater contribution to the community and to the security of this region as a full recruit. I offer what reputation I have established thus far as a new member of the Sundarian peoples as an example of my ability—you may speak with the watch captains in Sundren itself as well as the other communtiy leaders I have assisted in my short time here, and I believe they will speak well of me.

In addition, I offer a letter from my previous commander in Ten Towns, Icewind Dale, as support of my request.

Correspondence may be addressed to the inn below and I may be contacted there. Thank you for your time,

Zim Karakkan
          *sealed with a blue runic 'Z' seal*

To whom it may concern:

Be it known that the bearer of this document, a man named Zim Karakkan hailing from Icewind Dale, served under my command for the best part of two years. I have thus far found him to be honest and dutiful, steadfast, loyal, and an excellent soldier in every sense. He has taken part in several of our local battles against the encroaching orc tribes and has held his own with the courage and skill I demand of all my recruits. He would make a fine addition to any military unit. Any questions or concerns about his suitability may be addressed to me at your convenience.

Sergeant-at-Arms Ulric Hayness
          Chief NCO
          Lonelywood Watch
          Ten Towns
          Icewind Dale

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

ZIM'S JOURNAL

I have arrived in Sundren with no difficulties other than those inherent to a long journey sitting on a bouncing wooden plank. The outer settlements are sparse, but the capital city itself is rather sprawling with heavy fortification. The money Ulrich gave me ran out fairly quickly, as the only real jobs readily available are for mercenaries, and I had to purchase a suit of heavy armor which took up most of it.

There is a distressing number of refugees in the area; I stayed in one of their camps for a while and am currently living in a rented room approximately the size of a typical privy. I hope for something bigger, but the local recruiters don't seem to be taking me seriously and thus far the only work I've had is pay-per-engagement.

The people seem pleasant enough; there is little of the bucolic stupidity and mindless bluster which characterizes social discourse in the Dale. There is a library in Sundren proper, and while the shelves are a bit thin, I hope to get some reading in during my downtime here. There is a certain amount of muted embarassment in trying to buy a book in the Dale, as education in general and reading in particular are generally associated with wizards, fops, foreigners, and others of an unsavory and untrustworthy nature.

I shall continue in my current manner until I hear something from the Legion recruiters.
            Last edited by Ghostman; 01-19-2009, 10:28 AM.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

"Master, he's here again."
              "Who's here?"
              "HIM."
              "Please. Lucius, do we have to go through this again?"
              "I don't like it, Master. It's trouble for certain."
              "This is a library, Lucius. He is reading books, quietly, not causing any fuss at all. What, exactly, has your robe in a knot about him? Hm?"
              "...he just walks in, Master, as if he owns the place, and starts READING. He's not a wizard or anything, he wears ARMOR, he clunks about the place..."
              "Contrary to belief, people other than wizards are permitted to read, lad. What's got into you?"
              "..."
              "What is he reading?"
              "Well...history, military stuff. But lots of books about the Thayans, too. Dark secrets! Bloody lore of which man was not meant to wot!"
              "What?"
              "Exactly!"
              "... Dark bloody secrets beyond the knowing of mankind, lad, which are printed in rather large type in half the clearly labeled books in section two of row four. It's history, Lucius. Dates and names."
              "But Master..."
              "But nothing. Unless he chalks a mystic circle and begins preparing a human sacrifice to summon forth an elder demon from the bowels of the underworld in the reading room I don't want to hear any more about it. Demon summoning, of course, being against library rules, I shall then consider a ban."
              "Master, you make jokes at my expense."
              "No, Lucius, I merely supplied the punchline. Get a grip on yourself, and let the man read."
              "... Very well, Master, as you command."
              "After all, they're just books. What harm could come of reading a few books?"

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

ZIM'S JOURNAL

I have settled in a bit in my new home, finally. I've moved to a slightly larger room and I have been dealing a bit more with some of the locals—transplants, often, like myself.

There seems to be a disproportionately high number of paladins in Sundren. This bodes well for things like law and order, though less well for things like parties and jokes and fun in general. I like paladins well enough, but they have never seemed terribly flexible to me and tend to see things in unshaded black and white. In the Dale, getting blind stinking drunk and having your nose broken in a tavern brawl is more than a nighly occurence, it is an ancient and honored tradition, handed down from father to son, a form of entertainment and spiritual cleansing rolled into one.

And yes, there may be a bit of jail time afterward, but that is part of the celebration. The watch (the members not actually IN the brawl, anyway) simply wait until things die down and then arrest anyone unmoving. I wonder that so many paladins might not dampen this embrace of our cultural heritage a bit. In any case, they seem nice enough; I shall have to wait and see.

I still have not heard from the Legion recruiters. I shall wait a while longer and then renew my request.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

ZIM'S JOURNAL

I seem to be settling in well. I am beginning to recognize faces who are in turn beginning to recognize me; this is generally a good sign (except, of course, when it is not).

I had a couple of bits of excitement today. I began my day with a trip to the Mossclaw lands, scouting the path in preparation for a couple of jobs I have received to kill a particular ogre and a rogue goblin. I had just returned from the goblin village to the south where I had been probing the outskirts of their lines and was intending to return to camp when I encountered a wood elf. I know he was a wood elf because he specifically said "don't kill me, I'm just a wood elf."

This declaration in and of itself seemed peculiar and oddly specific. Once it was established that I did not, in fact, intend to kill him, wood elf or no, with no further preamble he suggested we pick a fight with the goblins. This was my own fault for agreeing; I didn't especially trust the elf to begin with, and I never got his name. But while I was standing at the edge of the fort trying to count out the foes we faced and thinking of some way to draw one or two out, my new companion simply started firing arrows into the fort. More or less every goblin in a one mile radius descended upon us immediately, with a gnoll or two serving as the cherries on top. We survived, but if the Red Knight was watching over me at that point I am certain she had a chuckle at my expense. I promptly informed the elf that I was leaving, and did so. He stayed behind. I saw him run by sometime later as I was dealing with a goblin ambusher along the road back to the fort.

Later I was able to kill a bandit at the request of a local merchant with the help of two more locals—a warrior by the name of Pericles (I have heard that he is a paladin but I have no knowledge of his specific profession) and a wizardess I know only as Andy. This would have gone smoother had Andy not caught me in a spell of fear she cast upon the chief robber. I am not angry with her, however; her magic won the battle, I believe, even with that small mishap.

I shall be sending another letter to the Legion recruiters soon.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

"Wut yer doin?"
                    "Wut?"
                    "Wut yer doin?"
                    "Keepin' watch."
                    "Hah, you one stupid gobbo. Nothin' ta watch."
                    "Yer, watchin' the humie."
                    "Humie? No humies aroun' here."
                    "Gots a humie right there. Look."
                    "Wut's 'e doin'?"
                    "Dunno. Just standin' and lookin'."
                    "Yer. Stupid humies. Get Ted."
                    "Hokay."
                    "Wut?"
                    "Gots a stuipd humie an'...an' another humie."
                    "Nah, 's'not a humie, 's got elf ears."
                    *THWOCK*
                    "Ted!"
                    "Wut! Get dat humie! Stupid humies!"
                    *THWOCK*
                    "Ted!"
                    "Wut!?!"
                    "Yer gots an arrer in yer!"
                    "Shut yer hole and get dat humie! An' dat other humie!"
                    "Hokay!"
                    *THWOCK*
                    "'e's doin' an offski!"
                    "No 'e ain't..."
                    *THWOCK*
                    "I gots..."
                    *THWOCK*
                    "Shut yer hole, I gots..."
                    *THWOCK*
                    "Nope. That's enough for me. You scare up a few more people and I'll come back with you."
                    "Okay, bye."
                    "..."

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Zim's Guide to Sundren

I: Aquor

Aquor is a quiet little mountain town north of Sundren proper. The term "quaint" might reasonably be applied here except for the presence of the Thayans, which negates the accuracy of that otherwise perfect adjective. It is located north of the Twin Peak river and is on the shore of Az'Gema lake, nestled in the valley of the foothills of the Spine of the World. Aquor is an extremely popular summer area for the nobility of Sundren, rich merchants from the south, and others. The rest of the year only locals and the inhabitants of the Thayan Enclave can be found here.

Aquor has a thriving economy, largely due to the presence of the Red Wizards as well as the freshwater bounty of the lake. Various types of freshwater fish, crabs, mussels, and other foodstuffs are shipped south to Sundren packed on ice cut from the mountains above the snowline, and the Thayans maintain several merchants in their embassy which cater to anyone with gold to spend. The local tavern, the Floating Flagon (Adam Bors, proprietor), has an unusually talkative crowd eager to regale travelers with stories. Presumably visitors are marginally less likely to be robbed and rolled into the lake upon departing the world of sobriety than at other Sundarian watering holes, as this would deprive the attention-starved local drinkers of a repeat audience. One may also visit the tailor shop owned by Elren Damasi or the Chord of Delight, a bard's emporium run by Sy'nara Asperwind.

The Thayan Enclave itself is a fortified monstrosity of a building rising high off a western hilltop and stares down at the town of Aquor like a surly buzzard watching its next meal try to limp away. One will find a director of operations at the entrance, a man named Leskenfu, whose arrogance is surpassed only by his creepiness. Within, past the tamed gnoll guards, one may purchase magical armor, weapons, and scrolls from Enchan the Beguiler (Master Enchanter of the enclave) and Dauros Sepret, vendor of the Folio Emporium. Many of the items sold within these walls seem to carry a particularly distasteful taint. There is also an inn, Zulkir's Rest, and a moneylender inside. This writer can only speculate about the level of foolishness necessary to borrow from the Thayans; as the Enclave is (according to Leskenfu) considered Thayan soil and thus falls under Thayan law, it is possible defaulters might recieve a friendly invitation to the slave pens on the top floor of Zulkir's Rest in order to cancel their debts.

North of Aquor runs a mountain trail of some sort, heading high up into the foothills of the Spine of the World. Where it goes I do not know, but it is prowled by armed bandits of no small skill, and the wise traveler would not attempt to follow that path alone.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Zim's Guide to Sundren

II: Port Avanthyr

From the crisp and salty breeze blowing in from the sea to the rancid smell of urine wafting from behind the Menacing Mariner, the first breaths a newcomer to Sundren will likely take will be taken in Port Avanthyr. With any luck the last breaths will not be.

Port Avanthyr serves as the largest and indeed, only, deep-water port in Sundren. Unlike other port cities across Faerun, Port Avanthyr has no harbor pilots to guide foreign ships in; the waterways are treacherous with sudden unpredictable currents to pull unwary mariners onto invisible reefs hidden just below the choppy surface, and local mariners guard their knowledge of the paths into the harbor jealously, in order to maintain their stranglehold on maritime traffic into the heart of the new land. The streets are lined with merchants' stalls. One may visit Jeramiah's general goods store and purchase mediocre goods at luxury prices, for instance, or, if a shopper wishes an altogether different retail (and olfactory) experience, he might head toward the eastern side of town and visit the Avanthyr Smithy. It is easy to find, as the forge flames tend to burn blue in the presence of its proprietor known only by his nom de guerre (or possibly gnome de guerre) Foulbreath. Upon reflection it is probably for the best that he has chosen a career which involves open flame.

The local tavern is known as the Menacing Mariner and caters to the hardier and less selective members of the maritime community. The barmaid offers a free side order of sass with every drink purchased and the crunchy treats in the bowls on the bar are probably NOT peanuts. I recommend using the buddy system when visiting this establishment, as with any luck your buddy will talk you into not going.

High atop the western hill rests the temple of Umberlee, a powerful political force in a town which relies so heavily upon the temper of the sea for its prosperity, and the priest there offers a variety of armor, weapon, and scrolls, many of which have a nautical theme. On the eastern hill is the great lighthouse; it offers a spectactular view of the harbor, should this be something a visitor would wish to see.

At the center of town is the Wishing Well. Local legend has it that if a visitor should throw a coin down the well, close his eyes, and wish mightily, his wish shall come true. I rather suspect that is only the case if said visitor's wish was to be relieved the burden of the weight of one coin. Rather more cynical local legend states that a minor clerk at the city hall shows up at the well every few weeks at midnight or so with a rope, a sack, and a meaningful look.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

ZIM'S JOURNAL

Well, I finally feel right at home among the locals now, presuming that one includes the population of jobless refugees in the term "local." I have received a summons to an interview with the local military command, but every time I arrive he is inexplicably busy. Well, perhaps not inexplicably, as there are grave difficulties in this new world, but it is irritating nonetheless. I am considering looking into privately-run mercenary operations as an alternative military career should this not pan out.

I have taken to wandering the lands of Sundren as far as possible and reading about its history and that of the Thayans who have entrenched themselves in its northern reaches. I take work as I can find it, though jobs are few and far between. It is something to do to pass the time, and perhaps another opportunity shall present itself.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

ZIM'S JOURNAL

I met a mercenary last night in the Viridale camp and later ran into him at the Four Lanterns; he calls himself "Sword." I don't much know what to make of him so far. He is a very angry man and doesn't seem to make much distinction between using a weapon to protect one's family and people and using a weapon purely for profit. Perhaps there isn't one; or more likely the difference isn't one that can be summed up in a couple of paragraphs scrawled on a page somewhere.

He was talking to me about the Veritas, and suggested that I might find a more tolerable employment with them than with the Legion. I know little of the Veritas except the local lore, and that is thin enough as it is. He said he didn't know anyone in particular, but I nevertheless get the impression he was trying to recruit me. He was painting a picture of them as honorable rebels, though I had heard different. I don't see much in the way of tyranny for them to be rebelling against, precisely, so I don't yet know what to make of him or his suggestions.

I will see what I can learn. I would much rather work within the law than without it, and currently see no reason to abandon my pursuits in favor of shadier employment.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Zim's Guide to Sundren

III: Mirakus Post

Mirakus Post is a fortified military encampment located on the western front of Sundren, originally built to serve as a buffer against invasions from the westernly direction. Why this is so is something of a mystery, since the terrain west and south of Mirakus Post is so rugged that even the hardy goblinoids and gnolls of the Viridale forest have little interest in invading and quite possibly wonder what humans want the place for anyway. Granted, they did attack it once (and were cut down to an orc for their trouble), but that was probably just on the standard orcish general principal of "attack every damned thing we see" and apparently did not constitute any actual interest in the area.

Whatever its original purpose was, today it seems to be used mainly as a training facility for the Red Blades, who command the post. The Red Blades guild hall overlooks the post from hilltop, commanding an impressive view of the wooden palisades below. One may also find the temple to the Red Knight within these walls, the only one in the Sundren lands that I have heard of. In the temple one may purchase armor from the temple smith and scrolls or potions from the apocethary.

Probably due to the peacefulness of the area, civilian-run facilities have sprung up around the military operation; there is a tavern, the Whistling Reeds, which is more-or-less constantly occupied with off-duty legionaires and Red Blades. It sits on the shore of a tiny pond on the western side of the post. There are a couple of street vendors as well, lurking among the shadowy alleys, though their goods are nothing more offensive than boots and hats. One of the vendors, name of Gus, does sell masks—for whatever reason—and aparently does a brisk business in eyepatches. I am forced to assume that this is due to the overwhelmingly fashionable sexiness of an eyepatch and not a rising tide of training-related eye injuries.

I see little reason why this post remains manned as well as it is; the Red Blades have a facility in Sundren as well, and do not necessarily seem to need this one. I would hesitate to withdraw all forces from Mirakus, but certainly all that is truly needed is a small force of scouts to send for reinforcements should the orcs become bored enough to invade again. Perhaps it is for reasons of politics.

myspace.com/ghost5956

Comment

Working...
                              X