Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making sense of it all...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making sense of it all...

*Finding a dry spot under a tree in The Grove, Ru'umel sits and catches his breath. In Elvish he begins to write in a small leather bound booklet recently purchased in Sudren.*

In light of what has happened, I have decided to start a journal. For my sanity, as well as, for anyone who may find my dead body in this accursed land.

I have found myself involved in a love triangle of sorts and I need to clear my head. I need to make sure I am doing the right thing. I care for all of those involved, Cybil, Yashia, and Cirion. Cybil I met when I first arrived in Sundren, wet from the rain, alone, and surrounded by Goblins. She helped me and we fought side by side until all were dead. She was sunlight in this stormy land. That seems like ages ago. Yashia has saved me from the hands of death, and when I awoke in the Temple I thought her an angel...and she in a way she was. Cirion I saw on a few occasions at the Triumvirate with both Yashia, Cybil, and another woman that Cirion was fond of (a man of much passion that one.) I mistakenly thought Cybil and Cirion were together at the time, only to be told by them that his heart belong to Yashia. My mistake appeared to be more correct than I imagined.

I fought beside Yashia, and I joked and laughed with Cirion. I began to visit Cybil more often, and grew more and more fond of her. From our many conversations I knew her heart was elsewhere and finally uncovered the truth, and was shocked. But, Cybil was happy with what had happened and felt blessed. I encouraged Cybil that the truth needed to be told, and prayed that Yashia would not react as I knew she would. I also prayed for Cirion to change his promiscuous ways, for it would only bring trouble. Again I wished I was wrong...

I was not present for the tragedy that unfolded, but, I was involved in the aftermath. There was a long debate by all those present as to what we should do. We all knew we were walking a thin line between what was right and what was wrong. But, we all agreed that something needed to be done, and the cost would be high. Some did feel we had made the wrong decision. Time will tell. Hopefully, Cirion and Yashia will make the most of their second chance.

Now there is my feelings for Cybil. I care for her deeply, and she feels the same for me. Her child will need a father, and Cybil definitely needs someone to help her in her life. She has made it known to me that she wishes me to be this figure, for us to be husband and wife. Being an Elf has brought many questions to mind about this. I would have rather taken more time with such a thing, years or decades, for I have the time. But, Cybil does not, nor does her unborn child. I know, without the help of unnatural causes, I will out live Cybil, her children, and her children's children. The Tel' Quessir do not normally rush into a relationship with humans for these reasons, among others. I do not see her as my “aleirin,” for she is human, and cannot be. But I can take her as a wife, for that is a human tradition to me, and I care her enough for that. My heart tells me it is the right thing to do, and I smile at the thought of it. But, I think first we, Cybil and I, need to speak with Yashia and Cirion. I want them to know, I want the truth to be out in the open. Enough lies and deceit have happened around me to let me know that.

*Beginning to tire, Ru' reads over his words, considering them, then closes the booklet to rest his mind*
    Ru'umel Amakiir - Ranger of the Corps de Grace
    Will Smither - Imbuer of some, Master of None...
    Zelom Silverstar - Evangelistic singing elf
    Originally posted by Machiavelli
    "What in hells are you doin' with my chicken?"

*After seeing Cybil off to her room, Ru'umel adds more thoughts to his journal, his mood is happy yet somber at the same time*

I have asked Cybil for her hand, and she has accepted. Of course she sort of asked me first, so, I was merely confirming what our hearts already knew. I have stepped in where Cirion cannot or will not, but that does not matter. What matters is...

*Stops and chuckles to himself*

I guess she is a woman who gets what she wants.

*Thinks a moment and starts a new page*

On a more distressing note, we brought our news to Hano, and after questioning our motives and speaking of the tragedy of Cirion and Yashia, he spoke of more pressing issues. Two more possible suicides are rumored to have occurred and a great evil may be afoot. He is preparing, as we all should, for a great battle against this.

Comment

*Ru' stops briefly at a table at The Four Lanterns, after seeing Cybil off to bed, he orders a rum, sips it, and thinks to himself*

"Hano was right. Vampires. Cybil and I and a host of others were part of the “investigation turned vampire hunt” this night."

*He opens up his journal to a new page and looks at the following name:*

Zhur'kel Maen

*He wrote this name in haste after leaving the crossroads and the burning barn. Ru' underlines it, thinks a moment, and writes*

The supposed man behind it all. Driving the research with the vampire named Jhu'ral as his tool to infect the farmers. Jhu'ral was put to rest in the house, but there were no signs of Zhur'kel Maen. We had best start looking into this unknown man and what he is doing. Hano will want to know of this also.

*He closes his journal and starts to head for The Temple to leave word for Hano.*

*He stops at the door suddenly remembering something. He reaches into a pouch and pulls out the obsidian that fell from behind the painting, the painting of the Paladin in black with the woman in his arms. He stares at the stone's smooth black surface.*

“I wonder what that Paladin's name is...”

*He walks out the door deep in thought*

Comment

Hunting Zhur'kel

*While Cybil sleeps in her room, Ru' steals away and jots some thoughts in his journal*

Waiting. I hate waiting, I wish there was more I could do. Days have past with no progress towards catching Zhur'kel. I try to comfort Cybil as much as I can, but I know we both want to end this. For good or bad. But one thing troubles me greatly. We must take him alive. More innocent blood is always shed when this in necessary... Plus I know there are those who wish to defy this need, to harm Cybil, to destroy her. Hopefully I can prevent, if Cybil cannot, this from happening. My eyes will be watching all those on the trail that leads to the necromancer, I promise.

*He stops writing a moment and looks over at the sleeping Cybil, watching her have some sort of peace*

She is the most giving soul I have ever known, yet, some seem to miss this. They judge her, hate her, and despise her openly because of what has happened to her. I do not understand some of this behavior, especially from those who called her “friend.”

I guess she is learning who are truly her friends, who are not, and what it meas to be a “Broken One,” for right now she is truly broken. Ilmater save her...if I cannot. Take me in her place if that is what it comes to. Please.

*He closes his journal and goes back to Cybil, holding her again as she sleeps*

Comment

Still Hunting

*While searching the Virdale Forest for signs of the necromancer, Ru runs into Perry and hears a short tale. He puts some notes in his journal afterwards*

A dwarf, Nulinus was his name I think, was sent a vision of 2 innocents and a demon in the Virdale Forest. I am not sure if this event is related to Cybil's tragedy or not. A group went to investigate evidently, and found flesh golems and a 6-8 year old child that had been changed into “something.” I think he mentioned something about a woman, but I was too fixed on the child part to pay much attention. Could this be another experiment of Zhur'kel? Possibly, but, it also could be something completely different. The child was too old to be one of the twins, I hope. A new friend, named Perry, was there with the group, although she does not remember much. She was going to dig up as much information as possible. I need to find out more, I need to speak with someone who was there and may know more details.

"First I need to tell Cybil..."

Comment

Visit to the High Forest

*After all that has happened to Ru' since arriving in Sundren, he decides to take a trip to the High Forest and visit some kin. When he returns, he finds his favorite seat at the Four Lanterns, orders a rum from Mordin, and recalls his trip in his journal*

It was good to see my kin. I told my uncle, Fae'joun, of the loss of my fathers sword, but showed him my new blade, “Cybil's Heart”, and told him of my intentions to have a second sword, “Cybil's Soul” forged. He examined the blade and asked about the name, "Cybil," I had chosen. I told him of Cybil and our intent to marry.

He, as well as many other kin, asked me many questions about Cybil and why I had chosen a “short lived” human to marry? Some were rather angry with my choice, but most were just curious. I told them of Cybil, and who she was, what she believed, and what had happened between us.

After much thought Fae'joun, and most of my kin, approved and wished me well. I was glad he approved.

He also noted that had chosen a 2 rapiers as my weapons of expertise instead of a bow and longsword like my father, and asked me "why"?

I could not answer. I have wondered this myself several times, and can only think it is because I wish to be different, to go against the norm, and rebel against what is the proper order of things... I like to keep everyone guessing. Even myself.

*Ru' closes his journal, sips rum, puts his feet up, and ponders his choices in life some more*

Comment

Cartel Nightmare

*After a horrific near death experience following Lauan, Ru actually requires deep Reverie to recover fully, almost sleep. After a few hours he awakes in a cold sweat, breathing heavily. Knowing that peaceful Reverie will not come again soon, he takes out his journal and jots his random thoughts...*

What fool am I to follow that Thayan slave into the Cartel base of operations, like she would even appreciate my help to begin with? And she thinks I need to learn respect, ha. I have a bad feeling that she will be the death of me someday. But, if Cybil was going – so was I.

Thank the Seldarine that Os, Fenton, and Yashia came to our rescue.

I need to thank Os for the arrows he gave me. I used, and needed, all he gave me. The cartel were formidable. I wonder if he would like some of my “special” berry juice?

*Ru' takes the flask from his pack and laughs to himself at the nickname "Rummy" that Os has given him, while sipping...rum*

I hope Fenton and Tayien are feeling better. I was not comfortable in that Thayan temple we took them to. I don't know how long I could have stayed there. I hope being healed in that place did not taint Fenton or Tayien.

*he stops writing a moment and shudders thinking of the Thayan's and their beliefs*

I think I need to work on my manners a little too, my mouth seems to be getting me in more trouble than usual lately.

*remembers the way he spoke to Kurz, then the pain and the blackness...*

I was not this way when I first arrived here in Sundren. I think I have been hanging around these short tempered humans too long. I may need another, longer, trip to the High Forest. I wonder if Cybil would come with me?

*He decides to head down to see Mordin and have a rum or three at the bar. Halfway through his fourth glass, Cybil, in a clever disguise but not fooling Ru', arrives and takes Ru' from the bar...*

Comment

Wandering the Forest

A broken twig and a footprint stops Ru' in his tracks, “Looks fresh.” He crouches down to get a closer look, and not a moment too soon as an arrow whizzes past the spot where his head was a mere moment ago.

Ru' rolls immediately onto his right side to position his shield between himself and the direction of the arrow's origin. A second arrow bounces off his shield. He drops his rapier and grabs a throwing axe from his belt, like so many times he has done in the past. He rolls again to his left this time searching for the archer. There! He let's his axe fly. It finds it's way into the trunk of a tree with a “thunk” – a miss. But, it's enough of a distraction for Ru' to roll back and sweep Cybil's Heart from the ground and find some cover. Dead Silence.

Suddenly, a roar breaks the still forest and Ru' peers out to see Brutis thundering towards the brush next to the willow tree with a finely crafted throwing axe stuck in it. He hears the scream of a goblin, a wild arrow flies wide of it's mark, and then the loud crunch of bone, as Brutis tears into the beast. Knowing Bruits has taken care of the archer, Ru' dashes from his cover and quickly surveys the area knowing that goblins do not usually travel alone... After sweeping the area quickly, Ru' is satisfied that he was a lone archer.

He goes over to the tree and retreives his axe, apologizing to the for the damage. He takes out a salve from his pack and fills in the axe cut. Turning to the carnage on the forest floor, he pats the bear on his side, “Well done boy. Wonder why he's out here alone?” Tapping a breast pocket in his tunic with a neatly folded letter from his beloved Cybil he whispers, “Another close one my dear, hope all is going well for you.”

Sheathing Cybil's Heart and adjusting his shield, Ru' starts off in the direction of his makeshift camp in the forest. “C'mon Brutis, I think we need to move our camp. That was a little too close for me.” Brutis lumbers off flanking Ru' to his right...

Comment

Several months ago...

A crackling fire breaks the silence of the woods around Ru' and the other elves on patrol while they sit in their makeshift camp in the High Forest. “Shevarash protect us,” Ru' whispers and takes a moment to add more to his journal.

Zhur'kel is dead. Cybil is going through some trials of the Triumvirate, and I am patrolling the High Forest. Thinking.

“I think much these days,” he mutters, then continues to write.

So much suffering is around us, will there ever be peace? True peace? I think not. I guess that is the neverending quest, to find our peace. We all find it in our own ways, although usually it is short lived – I fear most only find true peace in death. This is also the greatest fear I have for Cybil's lost children, their peace will only be from the beyond. But, where and when will my dear Cybil find her peace? Ilmater may be the only being to know the answer to that riddle.

Brutus wakes from his nap near by and sniffs the air briefly then puts his head back down. Noticing Brutus, Ru' looks up, then shrugs and starts a new paragraph.

I have been training with my uncle, trying to improve my sword play, and add a few new twists. Wait until Cybil sees *scribble*

Suddenly a small crossbow bolt strikes Ru' through his hand and into his thigh tearing his journal away. Acting on instinct he rolls to his right, tearing out the bolt, instantly feeling the drowsy affects of a fast acting sleep poison. “What the...” He looks at the bolt for a moment. Then, fighting the urge to sleep he stumbles to his feet drawing his rapiers, like he has done so many times before. As the poison surges through his system and his vision blurs he hears Brutus tearing into the brush with a roar, a fog fills Ru's vision, his weapons fall from his grasp, the ground rushes up to meet him, Ru's last thought is of Cybil...and peace.

Comment

Awakening

How long has it been? Days? Weeks? Only darkness answered him when Ru' finally opened his eyes. “Where in the nine hells am I?” Again dark silence answered.

He propped himself up on his elbows and examined himself and his surroundings. His thigh was scabbed over and his hand was sore and caked with dried blood, but, otherwise he was unscathed. His pack was missing, as well as his weapons. A 10 x 10 room with single door with a small slider at the bottom was all he could make out in the dim light. He was laying beside a few bales of hay, “do they mistake me for a donkey?” He stood up walked to the door, listening for any sounds...

His captors fed him daily for what seemed like several weeks, but made no conversation at all despite Ru's attempts. Ru' passed most of his time in reverie and attempting to chisel a shank out of a loose piece of stone he found under the hay bales, and using the floor as a grinder. “I feel like a dwarf,” Ru' complained to himself, “and a lonely one at that,” he chuckled lightly. His caretaker showed up as usual and left some scraps and dirty water. “Some rum would be nice,” Ru' said, receiving silence as a response.
                    He ate the scraps and drank the water, but, this day the rations made him feel like he had been hit with another sleep poison bolt, “excellent,” he managed to snicker as he fell to his side, unconscious.

Comment

Working...
                    X