Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calandra Gleamblade of Cormyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calandra Gleamblade of Cormyr

((This is my first attempt at writing some of Calandra's background. I hope I did not overstep any bounds with using some titles, all of them are relatively minor and is not intended to affect anything in Cormyr or Sundren))

Somewhere in a frontier keep in Cormyr…

“Certainly Lord Grinde there is no need for Calandra to be married, what profit is there for you…” ”Profit Captain?” Lord Grinde turns around, his face purple with anger. He walks closer to captain Gleamblade, pushing his face right into the captain’s. “How dare you try and tell me what is important to me and what’s not?” “You know nothing, nothing of politics, captain!” “So don’t even start to pretend you know what’s important to me!”

Lord Grinde turns away and starts to pace. “Go ask you’re wife, she at least has some inkling of how politics works, she at least had the foresight to play the politics of the country properly by organizing a future for Calandra and you’re family…” Captain Gleamblade bites his tongue as he lets the obvious insult slip by. It was his decision not to get involved, hoping above hope that he could free his family from the destructive cycle of politics. But he knew his wife was ultimately right for what she did…Even if Calandra didn't.

“Your family cannot survive such a political set back as this, Captain.” “Openly defying my son, me, by backing out of this deal that you’re wife and Lady Grinde organized.” Lord Grinde drives relentlessly on; he has no time for this. “You’re sons’ commissions are based on this marriage, more importantly you’re retirement is based on this marriage captain…”

“Don’t threaten me in my keep, Lord Grinde!” Captain Gleamblade steps in front of Lord Grinde, his face flushed with anger, holding the Lord’s stare. “You will no…” ”Oh hush captain!” says Lord Grinde, waving his hand dismissively. Lord Grinde turns away and takes a deep breath, catching his composure again. “There is no need for this captain.”

“You know as well as I do it’s a question of time before you’re too old to do you’re job properly.” “You’re one of the few competent frontier captains of Cormyr, but you know as well as I do skill will only take you this far…” “Its just a question of time before you’re age will make you fail…and no political alliances” Lord Grinde turns around and stares hard at Captain Gleamblade, knowing he was driving home his point.

“That lovely spot you’re wife picked in Suzail?” “Certainly you’re looking forward to a deserved retirement in peace in quiet?” “You’re sons futures secured…” Lord Grinde let’s the comment hangs, happy that he was winning.

“But there, there captain.” Lord Grinde smiles softly to himself as he sees that he has pushed the captain as far as he dared. “I feel magnanimous today…I know Calandra ran away from home, from you’re family’s commitment…” Daring one last stab at the captain. "Calandra knows what is expect..."

Lord Grinde interrupts the captain rudely. “We can tell everyone that Calandra has been sent off to a finishing school…” “Such a thing is not unheard of for girls with an unhealthy and adventurous spirit like hers?” “You just make certain that Calandra is ready when the time comes...”
    Calandra Gleamblade

…far from Sundren…

…far from Sundren…

Calandra walks slowly up the road to the tavern, the dark clammy evening reflecting her sour mood. She wonders for the millionth time that day what her friends are doing back in Sundren…

Being away for so long from her family (Annie, Lida, Osclow, Yashia, Hano, Cirion, so many others that accepted her without judgment) was both a blessing in disguise as it was a millstone around her neck.

She sighs.

Looking up at the lights and sounds emanating from the tavern she starts walking again – Having finished her errand she can return home to Sundren tomorrow…Home? She stops dead in her tracks surprised at her thoughts – calling Sundren home…

Her thoughts are short lived as she notices a lone stranger making his way off into the dark– overly carefully as only a drunken patron can. She frowns as she takes a closer look at the man – suddenly becoming ever more familiar…

That sniveling imbecile of a noble…She’ll never forget that face in a million years! She almost screams aloud at her husband to be, her family promise forsaken...

What the hell is he doing here? She glances around too shocked to think clearly. It’s only him, none of his bodyguards to be seen…As she glances around bewildered her hand unconsciously moves towards her sword hanging at her hip.

She glances around one last time, not believing her luck – this can end tonight, her ultimate shame forever removed…

Her hand firms around the hilt of her sword, pulling comfort from its familiar feel her thoughts suddenly clear.

…Her shame ends tonight…
    Calandra Gleamblade

Comment

* She stares grimly after Alcander as he walks down the path. *

She slowly thinks of the things Alcander told her. How dare he confuse her so!

Family comes first, no exceptions! It’s so simple!

…And now, that doesn’t seem to bring the security and belonging it should have.

The fight to free Osclow is still so hazy…at least she helped. This time she stood with her Family (her friends) fighting for them without regard for herself, without consequence and most importantly without putting herself first.

That was supposed to be her salvation, her opportunity to make up for the time that she let her family down. She thinks back again to her arranged marriage, how she ran away with no regard to the consequences, to her Father and her family.

Alcander took that away…No salvation, no second chance, just… questions.

Family comes first!

Why does it ring so hollow now…there should be nothing else that matters? Why did he have to insinuate that Osclow could have handled the matter better? Protected them…

Her father should have protected her from the arranged marriage…but that was different! He had no choice! So was what Osclow did so different? Did he have a choice - leading Annie, leading his friends (Family), into a fatal fight that could have been avoided?

Does it matter - when Family should stand together against all odds? Wouldn’t they do the same for her? Would they?

* Calandra moodily kicks a rock and sends it flying, just missing the cleric standing guard in Mossdale border. A glare from the cleric is all she gets for her effort. *

Family comes first! It should have been so simple…
      Calandra Gleamblade

Comment

To sell one’s soul

Calandra wakes with a start, her whole body drenched in sweat. It takes a few moments for Calandra to realize where she was and that that she’s awake now…It does nothing for her anxiety, her stomach is still clenched in a knot – what has she done!

As she splashes some water onto her face she looks into the mirror bathed in moonlight, at the strange face looking back at her. She bows her head thinking back at her agreement with the Thayan Wizard she and Lida made today…

How could she offer her and Lida’s services to the Thayan Wizard? How could she offer to do anything for the information they so desperately wanted? Will he send them off to kill an innocent? Maim somebody that was at the wrong place at the wrong time…Her face pales visibly and she gulps down a few breaths to calm her stomach.

How she hates the Thayans! They have taken so much from her. Robbed her of her friends, robbed her of her ability to protect them! *She clenches her fists till they hurt at the last thought*

Drogan, Osclow, Annie and even…even Lauan.

But the information will make it all worthwhile! It will! Nothing they do will matter if they can only find out who the mage was that killed Drogan. If only…it will make it all right. She will make it all right again…

She will protect her family at any cost!
        Calandra Gleamblade

Comment

Working...
        X