Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The City That Was

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The City That Was

The Elven child watched as his mother hurriedly donned the leather armour, eventually latching the magical bracers and slinging the finely-carved longbow over one shoulder. His face struggled to retain the composure he knew was expected of him.

Catching his look, she forced a smile.

“Your father isn’t here Thal, you don’t have to worry about impressing him,” she tried to sound light-hearted, yet the unnatural tension in her voice was all that reverberated in his thoughts.

From outside their small home, the sounds of soldiers running, barked orders and occasional chanting trickled in. Despite his many lessons, none of the hushed incantations bore a trace of familiarity. He shuddered a little. These were the spells of the Akh’Faern, with little resemblance to the cantrips he had practiced in the classroom, or to the sparkling phantasms his father had conjured for his amusement. They were magics designed for one purpose, to kill. Suddenly he felt helpless. What could he do to help his mother? How had he squandered all these years of lessons? Why hadn’t he learned more?

Tears threatened to overflow as his mother knelt before him, placing one hand on his cheek and kissing him lightly on the forehead.

“This world doesn’t rest on your shoulders alone Thal, at least not today,” she gave him an encouraging smile, wiping away some stray tears, “Your father and I must do what duty requires, but you must do your part as well. Promise me you will go to the caves with the others and stay there.”

“I will, mother…but…” he started.

She fixed him with a steely look, “Thalanis Moonshadow, we are perfectly capable of looking after ourselves, but not if we’re worrying about you.”

He nodded resignedly, “I promise.”

Just then the door swung open violently, a tan-skinned Elf dressed in elaborate scaled armour stood silhouetted in the doorway.

“Alianna, we need to leave! Now! The last of the Vale guard have already mustered at the academy.”

She nodded to the other Elf, turning back to Thalanis and grasping him by the shoulders, “Seldarine watch over you, my heart.”

The note of sadness in her voice was unmistakeable, and she lingered for a moment in the doorway, looking back with a final wistful smile. He wanted to call out, no, to reach out and hold onto her, to make her stay, but deep down he knew nothing he could say would change her mind.

All he could do was watch her leave.
    UTC+8
    Yes, I realise my RP writing sucks. Just be thankful I keep it short

Characters
    Thalanis Moonshadow
Working...
X