Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Librarian and The Companion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Librarian and The Companion

Forward: This is largely an experimental writing exercise of mine, but it also hopefully fills in some gaps that can't be conveyed in character, albeit in a roundabout way. I won't be using any characters besides my own to avoid god-modding, NPC or otherwise, but regardless, this should be considered non-canonical.

The Librarian and The Companion

Entry One: In Which Drama is Abandoned

“So what's your next move?”

“I'm thinking knight to F5. I need more active pieces.”

“I meant in life. Let's list your problems, shall we? You've failed to find anyone linked to our master, or at least ones you can approach without giving yourself away. You've failed to find anyone who you can match with -”

“Hey, there was that one girl. She has a firey soul. It wouldn't take much to match her. And the intellectual, again, not terribly hard.”

“You'll have to tell them at least some of the truth. Not the entire truth, but you may have to give them the benefit of the doubt.”

“Okay, granted. Anything else?”

“This land is dangerous. You can't stay here much longer without revealing yourself. This whole land is a war zone. This march on Sestra? It sounds like they'll win, but from what we've heard, their enemy has a habit of throwing in surprises.”

“So what, I reveal myself in the least dramatic way possible and help out the locals with their little war? Which, I might add, I have no incentive to do?”

“I know you want a dramatic appearance. You had planned on remaining as you are for what, another month or so?”

“Something like that.”

“Well like I said, this is a war zone. Your best bet is to wade into battle and forge alliances through blood and steel. There you'll find the souls you're looking for.”

“Guess it's time to show them what it means to be a Librarian. Let's prepare for war.
    Dalian - Shapeshifter of the Tuatha Dé Dúlra
    "My true identity goes beyond the outer roles I play. It transcends the Self."
    UTC -4

Entry Two: In Which Alternatives Are Debated

“Are you quite done yet?”

“I'll excuse you because you've only been with me for a month. Sculpting takes time. The form has to not only be crafted, but also allow the observer to see what they expect to see. If you can perform the latter, flaws don't matter so much.”

“The face is still pretty much the same as when you started.”

“Faces are difficult to sculpt, and really difficult to change. I don't have time to correct mistakes if I screw up. But enough about me. I need the lowdown on the powers that be.”

“Discounting the Black Hand?”

“Obviously. The Family's never been big on necromancy. Plus they're going to lose eventually, and I hate being on the losing side of a war.”

“How do you figure that?”

“Good triumphing over evil isn't strictly a fictional archetype. Eventually they'll spread themselves too thin, because their recruitment plan has a poor benefits package.”

“Romantic. Well, last time I was here, the Blackwood Company didn't have the most sterling reputation. Seems they've cleaned up a bit since then. You'd be able to stay more or less independent there.”

“I'm personally not big on mercenary work. What about the local military?”

“Military might be a flawed term. They defend the City just fine, but their ability to strike back has yet to be judged. Of course, you won't be as free to be... well, you.”

“But not being me is a specialty of mine. I mostly just need to judge how easy it will to get out if necessary. I suppose once I'm done here, they can't do much to stop me from just leaving the Valley. Entering that mindset is going to be difficult though.”

“You're always boasting about being flexible.”

“It will take longer. But I'll have to around as an anchor if I need to pull a one-eighty.”

“What exactly does that entail?”

“You... probably don't want to know.”

“Sounds wonderful. I'll leave you to your contemplations. Dinner awaits me.”
    UTC -4

Comment

Worth noting at this point that these are not in chronological order.

Entry Three:
      In Which Answers are Given for Questions Never Asked.

"Who are you?"

"I am the last keeper of that which you have come for. I've been waiting for you. I've been waiting for you my entire life."

"I don't understand. That doesn't answer my question."

"I know. But to tell you who I am is a long story. What I am is an easier question to answer, and it's all I can give you right now.

"To be honest, I don't know why I'm here. I don't know what I've come for. But I was told I had to come here."

"You seek knowledge, including the knowledge of why you're here. This is a place of truth and myth. This is my world. I can't answer your questions, but I can lead you to their answers."

"What questions?"

"You seek that knowledge as well. You may not like the questions, nor the answers, but if you are to continue to live, you need them. You feel it, don't you? Your flame is flickering. It will die soon, unless you know why it was lit."

"And I suppose you can rekindle it?"

"No. That's something you must do on your own."

"Then lead on, guardian."

"I'm not a guardian. I'm a Librarian of the Bibliotheca. Follow me with care, lest you be obliterated by knowledge that lies dormant here."

"I'm not afraid of simple knowledge."

"As many writers have penned, you should be."
      Last edited by Elusa; 05-15-2014, 05:50 PM.
      UTC -4

Comment

Working...
      X