Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleepless Nights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleepless Nights

The barbarian woman comes at him again. She's without armor and it's apparent she has only rudimentary training in the spear she holds. Behind her sits a child, tears streaming down his cheeks and fear in his eyes. Byrun opens his mouth to tell her to drop the weapon and leave, but no words come out. Each time he knocks the weapon away she scrambles to it.

Why the Hells won't she just leave! Why is she making me do this! Why won't she listen!

This time, we she comes at him, he easily dodges the spear and delivers a swift chop at the mother's neck, nearly severing her head. The child begins to scream as his mother's body falls to the ground spraying blood everywhere.

Shut up! Gods! You're going to bring them to us!

Byrun quickly turns and heads to the door. He gets two steps away before he feels a sharp pain pierce his calf. He looks down to see the tip of the spear push its way through the skin on his lower leg. He lets out a silent scream as he instinctively turn and thrusts his katana into the child's chest. The fear fades from his eyes as the blank stare of death sets in.

Why the fuck would you do something that stupid! You were free you stupid shit!

His mouth opens to let out a frustrated yell, but again, no noise comes out. Byrun punches the door and limps out onto the street. He turns once more to scan the house. The bodies were shifting, changing. They began to form a thick black smoke. All around him, he could see the smoke gathering from all over the City and taking shape in the skies above Aquor.

Spirit Juju... What the Hells...

The dark black wings form first. The large barbed tail comes next. The body gives shape to an elongated neck that stretches within inches of Byrun's face. Two large yellow eyes appear. A toothy maw opens and lets out a horrible screech.

Byrun stumbles back as the large stinger thrusts into his stomach. He feels his ribs shatter and organs shift as the stinger exits his back.

Byrun quickly sets up in bed, sweat forming on his forehead. He feels a pair of arms around him and feels a gentle kiss on his cheek. A soft, soothing voice speaks up and catches his attention.

"Easy now... it was just a dream..."

He looks around. The monster was gone. As was the mother and her child. Only his room at the Inn and an increasingly familiar pair of worrying eyes looking at him. He rubs his forehead for a minute before settling back into his place. Byrun waits until Lihana is sound asleep before daring to close his eyes again.
    Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
    Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
    Well, you've probably missed it
    There was never anything there
    In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

A Blind Eye

Byrun stands alone in the road. He can hear the whimpers. He knows what lies behind him. The bound Helmite. The Bloodmaim orcs. The shadowy figure forms but this time appearing more humanoid. The eyes, however, are the same as the beast from his other dreams. It speaks in a taunting tone.

"What have we here, Commander? Quite the conundrum you've gotten yourself into."

The Shadow looks over the Noble's shoulder and winces.

"Yea. That poor bastard is in for a world of hurt. I take it you're not even going to look? You won't need to." A grin forms on the Shadow's face.

The man screams. A desperate scream of pain and pleading.

"Ouch. You know Commander, it's not all bad he's going to die. That would definitely leave one Hells of a mark. Took the skin right off the top of his arm. Ever seen a fish filleted?"

Byrun clinches his fists, but refuses to acknowledge the Shadow. He hears the man screaming. Begging. Shouting to his God to end it. Even over the screams he can hear the sound of a bone snap and the screams get louder.

"Well now. I guess you can bend a forearm in that direction... if you try hard enough. Ever seen the look on a man's face as he looks at a bone sticking out of his freshly filleted arm? Now that's fear, Commander."

Byrun closes his eyes and begins to walk forward, but the screams never wane.

"His God isn't going to help him but you could've. Isn't that right, Commander? Do you think he has a wife? Perhaps some little Helmites scurrying about? Well... let's hope they're told he died peacefully. Instead of being pulled apart by orcs. To be fair... you did have a job to do."

The Shadow looks over Byrun's shoulder again as the man resumes his screams.

"Looks like these orcs are pretty smart. They're cauterizing the wound. Seems they want him to live. I wonder what for? Any guesses, Commander?"

The Shadow grins slightly as the screams come to an end.

"Lucky him. He finally passed out. Looks like the orcs are content with killing him now. All the wagons are safe though, right? Everybody in your little convoy is alive? Hells. I'd call that a job well done, Commander."

Byrun lets out a deep sigh.

"Your Brother would as well. The Thayans. Most of your men. Ahhh... What of you little paladin friend? Now what would she think? Ohh... I can just imagine the look of disgust on her face when you tell her this little tale? Oh... what of the village slaughtered by the undead? Who were they looking for again? Perhaps we should walk through that scenario one more time as well."

Byrun sits up in his bed. His hands immediately go to his head in a feeble attempt to calm the pounding. His eyes painfully adjust to the light as he looks around the room. He's at the Four Lanterns again. His armor is neatly stacked on a near by chair with his sword resting against it.

What the Hells? When did I get here? I was drinking and talking with...

"Gods no. Not her." Byrun rubs the bridge of his nose.

Byrun winces as he slowly crawls out of bed. He makes it over to the dresser and reaches for the ewer and pours himself some water. As he reaches for the glass he notices a note.

The note reads, "Meet me at the lighthouse when you feel better."

I'm not going to be feeling better for quite some time, but I don't think that's what she meant. Gods damn it all.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

The Village

((Warning: This might get a little dark. There's nothing wrong me. Just saying.))

Byrun finds himself alone in a familiar setting yet again. He recognizes the small town from the convoy several nights earlier. The buildings were badly damaged and most were on fire. He could recognize the death knights and shadows in the distance. He could see the lumps strewn about the area that he could only assume were the bodies of the villagers.

Byrun feels a cold hand on his shoulder. He turns and meets The Shadow's cold yellow eyes. The familiar taunting and toothy grin on its face.

"Hello again, Commander. I told you we'd be back here."

The Shadow begins walking toward the village and almost instinctively Byrun follows. He can hear the creature humming with delight as they approach the carnage. He comes to rest at two bodies and motions the Noble over.

Byrun only takes a brief glance before turning away, his hand covering his mouth. His stomach turns a bit and he closes his eyes at the sight. On the ground was a mutilated child. Byrun couldn't tell the gender because its body had been torn to pieces and appeared to be left in neat pile. A few feet away was woman. Her face frozen in death in absolute horror and sorrow.

"Amazing, a Mother's love. Even against impossible odds she tried to save her child. They made her watch, you know. Death Knights can do that. They don't feel. They easily ignored her feeble attacks and desperate cries. Mother and child could only helplessly watch each other as the undead set about their gruesome task. I think the child passed out pretty quickly from the pain. They're not really that durable after all."

The Shadow stands and moves about the two bodies.

"I'm sure she was dead emotionally and mentally before they killed her. She probably welcomed it, hoping in the next the life these memories would disappear forever. I could show you many more similar scenes, Commander. Even your hardened archer friend could stomach this mess very well."

Byrun clinches his fists in anger. "Why are you showing me this?! This happened long before we arrived!"

The grin on The Shadow broadens. "The Commander speaks! They were looking for something, right? They mentioned a name? You had to hide in a wagon? Any of this ringing a bell, Commander? They weren't defeated either. Just left to go and slaughter another Village, searching for Lord Hellstrom."

"I saved my Mercs! We all got to Mirakus in one piece! The cargo arrived safely!"

The Shadow chuckles. "Oh Commander, I think you did the right thing. It's easy for the others to follow. You make the decision and they can shrug off the guilt by saying it wasn't their choice."

Byrun looks down and takes a deep breath. "Who the Hells are you..."

The Shadow shakes his head slowly. "Not now Commander. You need to get your sorry drunken ass up and compose yourself. You've an important meeting in Sestra and if you go in your current state, you might offend your host. One last thing. Drinking isn't going to make me go away but you're more than welcome to try."

Byrun opens one eye and looks around the room. He realizes he's in his room at his Family's keep. He hadn't had that much to drink and the headache isn't too bad this time. He looks out the window and notices the sun would set soon. He straightens himself up, drinks a few glasses of water, and starts toward Sestra.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Truth

Byrun walks between the pyres. Despite the grim scene, he's in good spirits. Victory does that to people, especially those who are in Command. The smoke and ash twirl, forming the familiar Shadow that has haunted the Noble's dreams.

"Well played, Commander. You managed to prove to yourself and your mercenaries that you are a capable leader. Word has already started to spread through the Valley."

Byrun looks up to the Shadow. "My Mercenaries deserve just as much praise. They are the best of the best. Well trained and, when things start to get heavy, disciplined."

The Shadow grins and nods. "Seems my uses will dwindle. You've managed more self-control than I thought possible. However, it comes on dependency of others. You've broken our rule, Byrun. You've become close to people. Too close."

Byrun looks over to The Shadow as the scene changes. Byrun sees his younger self on the floor of his old training room. He is badly beaten and bloody. He is young, at that age where he desperately wants to cry, but knows it would be worse if he did.

"This is where you created me. Well, your brother and Ja'mahri helped a great deal. I... we... were created, Byrun. Remember. Your purpose is to eliminate any problem that arises for your Family. You are expected to handle problems at the end sword."

The scene changes again. Byrun sees himself. He's on a balcony with Emiko and he can hear her soft voice echo in his mind as she speaks. "But there's a monster inside you."

"That's me, Byrun. She saw. She knew. The monster that lurks. It's amazing. She so slight and small, yet she managed to quell the rage inside you. Perhaps she just replaced it. I still believe love makes men weak but well get to that later, won't we?" The Shadow grins.

Emiko and the balcony fade as they are replaced by bloody sand and training dummies. This scene is much more recent. Byrun sees himself standing before then Brigadier Julia Arvision at his Family's arena. She slowly pulls her helmet off and looks to the sky. Several moments pass as the helmet slips from her grip. "You've grown fangs, Lord Van Hellstrom."

"She was wrong. You've had them for quite awhile. Look at the defeat in her face. She's almost to tears. Look at you. Standing there as you destroy what this woman has worked for. Everything she has known for Gods know how long. You told her later, that it was doubtful you two could remain friends. How casually you're able to hurt others is truly amazing."

Julia dissipates. The sand and dummies fade to nothingness as they are replaced by the dark grounds of Argyle Keep. Byrun sees himself walking up a hill with a young red headed woman slumped over his shoulder. Behind him, a dark haired woman walks with a solemn look on her face.

Byrun's heart sinks as he hears the words the come out of his simulacrum's mouth. "The next time you think of something that fucking stupid, Lihana, keep it in that thick head of yours."

"Ouch... You didn't even bother turning around to see the hurt on her face as you said that to her. Looking at this scene now, it's amazing that the two of you eventually ended up together. How's she able to look past the monster to fall in love with the man?"

Byrun looks up to the Shadow and smiles slightly. "Men can change. I've learned a great deal. There are many things about me that I've learned to deal with. You're just one of them."

The Shadow nods. "Very well, Commander. I suppose you'll let me out when you invade Aquor. You'll need me then. Perhaps your friends will understand what needs to be done by that time, if not and they'll abandon you, I'll be here. Until then, sleep well."

Byrun slowly opens his eyes. Over him, a dark haired woman smiles gently at him as she pushes the hair out of his face.

"Morning, love. You must have been beat. You slept soundly."

Byrun smiles back as he looks around. "Like a rock, Lihana. I really needed that."
        Last edited by cmosier; 10-12-2013, 03:58 PM.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

The Puzzle

"It took you way too long to figure out what it really means to be a Noble in this Valley." The Shadow approaches Byrun wearing his customary villainous grin.

Byrun stood there, defiant. "I've known. I've always known. I've just always managed to push on regardless."

"You've two allies in this mess, Commander. The Whurest, who don't have quite the numbers you need, and the Thayans. The latter well known for deceit and twisting deals to their advantage."

The Shadow stands beside Byrun as the darkness around them shifts. Byrun sees himself, Lihana, and Kindra leaving the presence of Dain Tornbrook. "You two be careful. Should he fall, his family will hunt you down."

"If I recall, you didn't exactly deny that did you? They both waited for you to respond, but you simply nodded and walked on toward your goal. Of course, Lord Tornbrook has always been pretty vocal about you and your family."

The scene changes again. Kindra is seated at a table, Byrun in an adjacent chair, both dressed decently and drinking a glass of wine.

Kindra looks up, "Lord Tornbrook said your family gained most of it's wealth through blood sport. That it's all blood money."

"Sweet kid. Too bad she's in over her head when it comes to the politics of the Valley. What was it you said to yourself after she left, Commander?" The Shadow grins as the room fades.

This time Byrun sees himself standing next to Evelyn. "Byrun? If given the opportunity, would you step up to the head of your House?"

"Well now. That's a loaded question and leaves little room for interpretation. Think Byrun. how many times has Julia referred to Your Family instead of simply referring to you? What was that man talking about when he mentioned the Legion was up to something? You've had little contact with the other Noble Houses, but you know they have to be up to something."

Byrun let's out a deep breath, a look of defeat begins to creep over his face and body.

"Let's review who in this Valley has either cast you aside out of mistrust or has actively sought to cause you and yours harm. The Banites... Colibrites... most of the Triad... The Legion... Avanthyr... Let's not forget the various tribes of savages spread throughout the Valley. You've a few friends in some of those groups, but they'll have an uphill battle trying to convince their superiors that you're a Good Man. That's if you can even convince yourself."

The shadow and all around it simply fade away. Byrun is left alone standing in a cold and dark dreamscape.

Byrun wakes suddenly in his quarters at Mirakus Post. His hair is damp, his face pale, and a cold sweat covers his body. He sticks his head out the flap of his tent.

"Morning Comm..." The elf's words trail off and a look of concern flashes in her eyes. "Byrun? Are you alright?"

"No... I've been careless... It's been right there in front of me the whole time... It's My Family they've been targeting..."
          Last edited by cmosier; 10-12-2013, 04:44 PM.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Deception

The Shadow follows closely behind Byrun, his laugh heavy with a mocking tone.

"That was perfect! It's as if the Maid of Misfortune decided to take what was left of your trust and crush it in her bare hand. What was it you told them, Commander? Fear and Judgment shouldn't be the only two choices. You're just in the gate at Avanthyr and who strolls up behind you? Lord Esmond Aurelianus himself."

Byrun stands over an orc. The creature lies helplessly on the ground, struggling to breath. I swift slash of his sword ends its suffering.

"I told you. One by one they'll betray you. The look on their faces when they saw you there? You must have felt so... stupid. She has such a vital role in this whole thing, I doubt you can do much to stop it. And if your brother finds out that you have both a member of the Avanthyr Militia and an ally to the Emperor, all rolled into one, participating in Aquor, you'd be lucky to be disowned."

Byrun walks through the swamp. Turning a corner he finds himself suddenly in the middle of a large group. Some Vampires and their followers, six in total, stand over Kindra, as she lay barely breathing on the ground.

One of the group makes a snide remark as Byrun approaches. He is quickly reprimanded. "He is from a Noble House here in Sundren. He deserves your respect."

The Shadow's voice creeps up. "Well... seems they know how to treat somebody of your station. Not a bad trait if you could get past the fact we're their food supply."

Byrun watches helplessly as the vampire he knows as Ruby picks the young priestess up.

One the vampires turns briefly to Byrun. "Come Lord Hellstrom. Drink. Join the gifted."

The smug voice makes itself known again. "There's a lot of power there, Commander. Think of it. Free of emotion. People will fear you for generations."

Ruby sinks her teeth into priestess's neck. Kindra's eyes flutter a bit and seem to grow dark as the vampire drinks. Her body slumps and Ruby drops the helpless woman to the ground. She then reaches down and with one hand proceeds to drag the woman toward Byrun.

"Look at that strength, Commander. It's like a child dragging a rag doll. Think of it. They're offering you power. What has anybody else in this Valley offered you?" Hmmm?"

Ruby drops the priestess in a heap at Byrun's feet. He kneels down beside the woman, observing her carefully. He brushes a few strands of hair away from the open wound on her neck and watches the blood trickle down.

"What have they offered you, Commander? Betrayal. Deceit. Pain. You've been taken for a fool... You been offered a gift now. Drink."

Byrun's eyes open. His heart is beating quicker than normal, but there is no cold sweat or sudden feeling of dread. He lies in his quarters quietly thinking to himself, listening to the sound of Sundren's constant rain hit the top of his cabin.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Defiance

Byrun looks around the familiar gray dreamscape. He senses a presence behind him and closes his eyes as he steps to turn around. He opens them and sees nothing. With a confused look, he gazes down and sees a little girl, around nine years of age, with curly black hair that comes to her shoulders. She's wearing a green dress, that sticks out in the dull gray setting.

"Hey, Bebe." She speaks with the voice of a child, yet she has the tone of a grown woman.

Byrun gives the child a confused look. "Aurora? What the He.."

Before he can finish his sentence the little girl gives Byrun a strong kick to his shin. "You're a dick!"

"Ouch! What the Hells was that for! And watch your mouth!"

The Girl rolls her eyes. "Oh, grow up big brother. What were you thinking? You knew damn good and well what was going to happen."

"Cyrus wanted go forward. So I did. Yes, I was apprehensive losing the troops from the Port but once the boulder get pushed dow..."

"That the stupidest shit I've ever heard. You and that damn boulder metaphor. If I saw a boulder coming at me, I'd just move out the damn way. Which is exactly what your enemies did."

Byrun sighs. "Yea, but Cyrus wanted.."

The fiery little girl quickly cuts off the noble. "Why don't you grow a pair. Gods. You're more than Commander to most of those mercenaries. You're a damn leader! Now sack up and act like it!"

Byruns sighs and rubs the bridge of his nose.

"Oh yea!" Aurora places another firm kick to Byrun's shin. "That's for Lihana!"

"Ouch! Damn it! I haven't done anything to Lihana!"

She looks up to her brother with fury in her eyes. "You know."

"What! I didn't!"

"Don't give me that shit. You thought about it." The girl folds her arms and stares accusingly at Byrun.

"Fine! Yes! I thought about it. I'm not perfect."

Another swift kick to the shin.

"Gods damn it, Aurora! What was that for!"

"For thinking about it."

Byrun opens one of his eyes and looks about his room. A smile creeps across his face as he collects the pieces from his dream.

Thanks little sister.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

One Less Light

Byrun looks on as the Shadow sits in his chair. He props his feet up on a table, where four candles burn.

"Well, well, well. I told you Commander. This is the way of things. Of course, you'll tell yourself you both knew this was the likely outcome. You both had a duty to fulfill. Hers was to faith and code. Yours was to responsibility and family."

Byrun looks to a particular candle, as tear forms and rolls down his cheek.

"The fragrance remind you of her, Commander? Does the flame remind you of her warmth all those nights as you held her close? Her flame was bright, wasn't it?"

The Shadow takes his feet of the table and stands. He leans down and watches the flame flicker as he gets close.

"She was amazing. And for a time, she was yours."

A quick puff and a wave of his hand... the flame sputters and goes out.

Byrun opens his eyes to see the floor. His body was on the bed, but his head and right hand had managed to hang slightly over the edge. He feels his grip loosen and a crumpled letter falls from his hand.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Lessons

The featureless figure stood before him. The gray mass had a roughly humanoid shape and appeared to be armed. Byrun feels as if he's trapped in his own body, looking through his own eyes as if they were windows, watching the scene unfold.

The silence is interrupted by the sound of a loud thud. He sees himself deftly side step the mass's attack, as he counters with a hard punch to its ribs.

"You called me out for this? This is hardly worth my time." The Shadow's mocking voice surrounds the noble as he helplessly looks on. "I'm going to cause some serious pain, Commander. You wanted to teach this... thing something? Well, I'm more than happy to oblige."

The next few movements seem to go by in an instant. The mass stood no chance, and the Noble's counters were not held back. They were delivered with merciless precision. It dropped to the floor; bruised bloodied, and defeated.

The Shadow slowly forms beside the Noble. "Pathetic. Go deal with that rubbish. Remember. Those whimpers are weakness leaving the body. I can feel your sympathy. You're becoming a failure to yourself and your Family. Admit what you are Commander. Stop hiding behind me and step into the role you were built for."

Byrun wakes up in a cold sweat. He quickly puts on his robe and heads down the hall.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Conclusion

Byrun stands in the Aspirations District. The cool rain hitting his face as he looks up into the gray sky. As his gaze falls, he notices a figure approach him. Her features slowly come into the light and he recognizes her instantly.

"Hey you." Her voice is calming and familiar.

Byrun tilts his head slightly. "Lihana?"

The dark haired woman offers a simple and friendly smile.

"I'm still with you, huh? Even in the slightest, it isn't fair to either of you, Byrun. Our time is over and we both knew it was bound to happen. Every time I brought it up, you'd changed the subject. I just wanted to be with you so I let it go."

Lihana reaches up an touches his cheek gently.

"You've already made up your mind. She's in your arms right now. A pleasant little night of wine and snacking on fruits by the fire. You've given yourself to her, and she to you, Byrun."

Byrun shifts a bit, a mischievous smirk forms on his face. Lihana rolls her eyes and gives the noble a solid punch to his arm.

"Good grief, that's not what I meant. You share a bond that most people couldn't grasp. I've told you many times that I would stay with you... no matter what. But that never really happened with us. It happened with her. She's still with you."

Byrun takes a deep breath and looks over Lihana as she continues to speak.

"You've already given her your heart. You have many trials to overcome. Don't let me be one of them."

Bryun nods and smiles on as the figure slowly fades from sight.

Byrun wakes up to the feeling of cool flesh pressed against his. The woman's body he holds has goose bumps as the night air chills the room. He pulls her close as covers them both with a blanket. She groans slightly and curls into him.

He gently kisses her and whispers in her ear.

"Courage isn't the absence of fear. It's the will to carry on in spite of it. I love you."

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

A Clouded Mind

((OOC this is how picture Confusion. This comes from that annoying trap in the Temple of Grummish))

The abandoned Temple is dark and damp. The stench of death and orc surrounds the young noble. Before him lies three foes; a slight shadowy figure with feminine features. A large man made of metal. They were led by another foul creature whose head was ablaze with orange flame. She seemed to be their leader, shrieking orders at the other two in a language Byrun couldn't understand.

Byrun took his katana in hand and quickly struck out at the metal man. The two swift strokes of his blade hit their target true and he stumbled back with a grievous wound. He quickly turned his focus to the little shadow. The swordsman would pounce, but it seemed with each strike, the fiery witch would summon dark magic and heal the shadow's wounds.

I can see this game. I can hit this little bitch faster than that fiery witch can heal her.

Byrun grinned and unleashed a flurry of attacks on the shadow woman. Each hit struck with tremendous force and the shadow crumpled to the floor in defeat.

Byrun's vision clears. His senses return. He looks up to see Kindra looking at him with a concerned look. He glances to his right and sees Michael looking at him, a slight hint of concern and amazement in his eyes. He slowly glances down and sees the crumpled body of River, struggling with each breath she took. He feels his heart sink into his stomach as he drops to one knee and slowly picks up the badly beaten half-elf.

Byrun opens his eyes. He can feel the woman's arms wrapped around him. They held him tight, as if she was afraid if her grip loosened he would slip away. He lay awake, staring at the ceiling of their Inn room. Her voice echoing through his mind.

I love you more than breathing, Byrun.
                      Last edited by cmosier; 11-19-2013, 08:45 PM.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

The Long Night

"I think I may need a priest."

"I think you need rest." River's brows drew sharply into a concerned scowl, even as she replied. This was the man who almost always preferred to go into battle without protective wards, or blessings. Yet there he stood- pale, drawn, and nearly stumbling under the weight of his armor. River had never seen Byrun like this, and that caused a cold, hard knot to form in the pit of her stomach. She kept her voice firm as she moved closer, assisting him with the various straps and buckles that held the steel plates to him. Piece by piece, armour was removed and set aside, and finally she took his hand and drew him along toward their bedroom.

He'd slipped into a doze as she took the time to clean and dress his wounds as best she could, and it took some time to stir him enough to get him actually in the bed. Unconsciousness seemed to fall upon Byrun immediately then- a hard, unmoving slumber that left River both worried, and not a little frightened. She leaned forward and pressed lips to his forehead, then swung her cloak about her shoulders. He was right... he needed a priest, and she knew just who to seek. The door was eased shut behind her, and feet clad in soft leather made no sound across the marble floors of the Keep as she let herself out. This night would be a long one for her.

Tymora must have offered her a smile, as Sister Abby happened to be at the Second Wind as River passed through. The nun was engaged in what appeared to be light conversation, and River wasted no time in calling her away, and explaining what had happened:

They had been in Wurhest. She fumbled around with clouded memories, remembering at least that their protective wards and spells were depleted. After that, memory faded into blackness, and she could only work on the assumption that it was an Illithid, as the creatures seemed to plague the lower depths. Whatever it was, Byrun must have taken a direct assault. He was weak, River explained. Pale, and drawn. She told the nun of how he'd fallen immediately into a heavy slumber, lying utterly still, his breathing shallow. The nun expressed immediate and great concern, explaining many of the dangers of leaving brain injuries untreated.

The more Sister Abby spoke, the more alarmed River became. Where at first she was content to allow Byrun to sleep through the night and have the Sister visit on the morrow, River instead decided to take the nun with her immediately, in the middle of the night. If Byrun was upset over being disturbed, well... too bad.

Byrun lay there, as he had been when she left. There was no movement, and only shallow breaths. He could not be roused- offering no movement or sign of being aware of their presence. Abby gently explained that it wasn't necessary for him to be awake anyway, she would be able to aid him while he slept. River placed herself at his side, grasping one of his limp hands in her own, her expression ever etched with the sick feeling of helplessness, fear and worry. Abby explained what she was going to do in her soothing, patient tone; and River vaguely nodded in faked understanding as the nun began to softly speak her prayers. The nun wasted no time in taking his head between her hands, and a soft golden light seemed to coalesce around Abby's fingers at first; then gently envelope Byrun's head, neck and shoulders. The prayers were slow, concise... focusing ever inward to delicately repair the damage done, and still the lord did not move, did not wake. Minutes slid past and the Imateri nun still prayed, still channeled the divine healing into the prone warrior.

The night deepened into its darkest hours as River and Abby quietly departed the room, having done all that could be done for the moment. There was tea, and softly spoken conversation, and finally the two left the Keep to it's slumber; River accompanying the Ilmateri Nun back to her Sanctuary. There was nothing more she could do, aside from worry- so the walk and the conversation became welcome distractions.

Dawn began to tinge the sky, and turn the morning mists into a thick blanketing fog as River once again gently opened the door to the bedroom. She slipped in on silent cat's feet, and eased herself onto the bed beside Byrun. Fingers once again softly combed sandy blond hair from his forehead as she looked him over- he'd not moved, but she could see the rising and falling of his chest, and knew that his breathing was deeper now, stronger. The knot within her gut seemed to unwind at that, allowing a hint of relief to wash over her, and she wondered if this is what he felt, every time he had to pull her from the battlefield, broken and in desperate need of healing. He was her constant- strong, unyielding and utterly fierce whether on the field or off; and to see him laid low as this had shaken every nerve. She curled against him possessively, holding onto his arm as if daring any force to try and take him from her. It was in this posture that fatigue overtook her, still clothed and atop the covers- a hooded little shadow clinging tightly to the sleeping lord.
                        River Swift

"Timing is the main difference between being a hero, and being an asshole" -River

"Nothing says "I matter" quite like having a price on your head" -Sandro

Comment

Weakness

Bryun gently places his half-elven fiancé in the bed, making sure she is covered and warm. He places himself sitting up, back against the head board. He places a pillow in his lap and pulls River's tired body up, her head resting on the pillow.

"I don't like to be coddled" she says. As if I don't know this already. Still. Seeing her like this brings emotions to the surface that I usually try to suppress.

The noble watches with concern as the young woman's breathing softens and she enters an incredibly still sleep.

I know what you're going through, love. It hurts being that drained. It's as if the life was sucked clean out of you. What you lack in physical toughness, you more than make up for in tenacity. Alice closed your wounds and she feels confident that you'll be well with some rest.

He leans down and gently kisses her head before laying his hand on her chest, remaining still as possible to feel the subtle rise and fall as she breathes. Leaning back, he closes his tired eyes.

The people who believe I care only for coin have no clue, do they love? No. You are my weakness. I meant what I said in that note. I probably don't deserve you, but I do need you. You've seen and understand my role and responsibility. It's an incredible weight to bear on my own and for whatever reason you've offered to shoulder it with me.

Byrun slowly falls asleep, waking occasionally to check on River's condition. The last time he wakes he sees a pair of silvery eyes looking up at him. He's seen that look several times but he thinks back to the first time she looked at him like that. Standing by the fireplace, her arms around his neck. He could only muster two words then.

He gently brushes the hair out of her face and smiles.

"Hey you..."

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Visions Past

Byrun walks toward the familiar Arena outside his Family's castle. A smile forms as he sees the figure standing near the sign. She is wearing the standard Triad clothing and her black hair barely touches the top of her cloak that bears the symbol of her God. Walking up behind her, he slides his arms around her waist.

"I missed you." He gently kisses the back of the woman's head.

Lihana turns around, forcing her smile back, and gazes up at the noble with pleading eyes.

"Really? I don't even get a kiss?"

"Please, Byrun... don't make this hard on me. I have to... it's... I do trust you, I do... but..."

Nodding, the young Noble places a finger to the struggling paladins lips. "Alright, love. I understand. Paladin juju. Have at it."

Her eyes began to change. Her gaze was piercing, as she began to look Byrun over carefully. She let out an audible sigh of relief and her arms fell around her companion's neck.

Byrun smirks. "Happy now?"

"Oh hush, you. You walk a dangerous path. You're constantly in the presence of darkness and I'm so afraid that some of it will seep in. Once it's in, it becomes a cancer. Consuming you completely."

She pauses for a moment, offering the Noble a passionate kiss.

"I love you, Byrun. You're a good man... You do not deserve what this Valley put's you through."

"You get used to. My concern is how it affects you. Lord Tornbrook makes no attempt to hide how he feels about me."

Lihana takes a breath. "Lord Tornbrook is a great man. However, he is not my God. My trust is with Torm..."

Pausing again, she looks up intently into Byrun's piercing blue eyes.

"Promise me something, Byrun. Even... if we don't last. Even if your heart moves on and you find love and happiness elsewhere. Promise me you won't let them get to you. Do not become the monster they make you out to be."

Taken aback by the comments, Byrun slowly nods.

"Alright, Lihana... I promise."

As the rain begins to fall, the two embrace...

Byrun slowly wakes and moves himself to the edge of the bed. He places his head in his hands and lets out a frustrated sigh. Between the confusion, guilt, and shame he could only muster one thought.

I... have failed you...

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Byrun stands on rocky path. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. His senses began to tingle. He could feel the cold biting at the tips of his fingers. He could hear the barbarian band rustling ahead on the cliff.

Gods. I'm starting to like this. How could I not? Who would want to see the World as I once did? Those eyes were the eyes of child. Ignorant and unknowing. But, is it worth the price?

Byrun's eyes lift as the band approaches. He heard one of the women begin casting her spell.

Good. There's an Ice Witch with them.

Byrun could barely finish his thought when he felt his body go numb and ice shards erupt under his armor. Wincing, he drew his sword as blood and water began to ooze from between the plates of his armor.

Two of the barbarians were dispatched as they moved to engage Byrun in melee. Though they fell, they completed their task. The archer was able to land two good arrows while the Noble was distracted.

Damn archers. Not to mention that damn witch has enough Nature Juju to be an issue.

She was able to land a handful of blows, but her novice enchantments were not enough pierce Byrun's defense. He was grinning, standing over her corpse, as the footsteps of the archer faded into the distance.

He kneels, gripping the hilt of his weapon. He felt the blood start to clot shortly followed by a burning sting. Then, as the wounds begin to mend, a bothersome itch.

There is truly a fine line to walk between man and monster.

Suddenly, the air around him begins to shimmer as a small door opens and a woman steps forth. She dips her head in respectful greeting.

"Lord Hellstrom. A pleasure to see you."

The Noble chuckles as the door fades to nothing.

"That's a useful talent..."

It was midday when he approached his family's grounds. There were a few people taking advantage and training in the arena. A guard quickly moved toward Byrun.

"Commander! I've a letter for you!"

Byrun nods. "From whom, Initiate?"

The man looks towards the arena then back to the Noble. He hands him the letter, remaining silent. Byrun looks over the letter and smiles.

"Very good, Initiate. Dismissed."

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Working...
                              X