Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question regarding backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question regarding backgrounds

I haven't played that much on international servers before, so I am not very aware of how broadly you usually discuss and reveal the background of your character. Where I have played, players have written "brief" background stories for DMs, but they have not been publicly displayed anywhere. So to get to my point ( ), how long and detailed are the backgrounds, and do you write the same story on the character examination in the game, or do you write just the outer characteristics?
    I have come so far.. Crawled away from the corner of your eye..

Character: Silka

I revealed a lot about my character, Sallow Hakkar. I don't think there is any harm in revealing details about your character especially if you're new to roleplaying and think you might find it hard to get those details across in game like myself. Plus, the background to my character only gives people an overview. It dosen't give EVERYTHING away, and it dosen't reveal nitty gritty details. Nobody really knows how my character is going to act or react to situations or in normal company, but the background does give me guidlines to follow and might hint to people as to how i'd roleplay my character. I didn't give too much away and left a good lot of details out to give myself some room to work with in game

To answer the 2nd question though, I'm going to come up with a different description for my character in game because mine is obviously too long to fit in that text box, and I don't think anyone would want to read something that long in game anyway.

Comment

I prefer to use my examine box for the physical description of characters. Mainly to avoid meta-gaming.
      Sunder me? Sunder you!

Comment

I agree with TheID. Your information in character examination should probably only contain a description of information one could gather by simply watching you. Maybe you have physical features, a limp, these sorts of things.

There will be areas in the forums that will have long RP writing posts and background information on a character if people are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
          Your information in character examination should probably only contain a description of information one could gather by simply watching you. Maybe you have physical features, a limp, these sorts of things.
          Yes, that is what I have been accustomed to. Some servers do, though, use the examination box for backgrounds. It's good that you don't.

Now I just have to start planning my character...
          I have come so far.. Crawled away from the corner of your eye..

Character: Silka

Comment

Working...
          X