Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gifts of Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts of Madness

He knows...

The lord of darkness, Gen'Deimos, stood before them. He spoke in a deep baritone voice that echoed the very presence of the Great Tyrant. His words were that of traitors, deceivers, and false prophets. Adrean did his best to control the terror that gripped at his very breath as the words danced around his mind. His paranoid imagination playing out his demise repeatedly at the back of his eyes.

He has to know. What will happen to me?

Adrean swallowed hard, hoping to steel his nerves against the champion before him. The lord's gaze even settled upon Adrean for but a moment, but Adrean would meet it, for turning away would bring to light his doubts and treachery.

The dismissal of the lord could not come soon enough. Adrean hurried to his quarters away from the others, hoping no one took notice of his rushed pace.

Are they watching me? Does someone suspect?

Certainly away from their eyes he would find a moments peace. The still of his own chambers a welcome environment to let go the stress of what was to come. As he passed his doorway, he quickly shut out the citadel with the echoed latching of the thick wooden door.

He laid his head against the wooden blockade, questioning his convictions to this new path that he leveled for himself.

What am I doing? How did it come to this?

As the questions weighed in upon his senses, he came to the same conclusion each time. He would lay bear what has happened and swear fealty to the Black Lord once again. Yes, this would grant him clemency for the spoiled ideals he had come to follow. He would return to the flock of ravens, a cleansed soul with ebony wings. Surely they would overlook the transgression.

His hand moved back to the handle before the wicked voice sounded behind him.

Where are you going, Adrean? Can you not bear to face me any longer?

He shut his eyes tightly, giving way to a hope that what he heard was only his imagination. He would turn about and every demon he came to fear would be but shadows upon the wall. His head moved to face the voice... it was no shadow.

The dark iron mask hid the face he had come to fear in his dreams. The whispered thoughts of the deepest insanity lie beneath the covering, painted in white. A face he knew all too well and never wished to see again.

They know about us! You said they would never find out!

Adrean mustered up the will to speak out and challenge the man, but when his mouth stilled, so did his fervor. When silence was returned to him, he could not control the shaking of his hand. The eyes of the mask watching him silently, as if they tore a hole into his skull, ripping from him his very thoughts.

Slowly, he walked closer to Adrean. Adrean could do little but stiffen himself against the door. He knew his mouth had brought him trouble... he damned his tongue for speaking with repeated words beneath his breath.

Shit! Shit! Shit! ...

The gauntleted hand that belonged solely to the mask took his throat pulling it away from the door and slamming his cranium into the thick wood for good measure before he uttered in contempt...

I say many things, Adrean! It pleases me to speak them. Doesn't it please you to hear them, Adrean? Don't you wish to hear my voice near you, constantly mocking the terror you feel every moment of every hour?

He laughed... the mask laughed at Adrean and released him, turning his back. It was the damning laugh of one driven beyond any sane border a man would erect for himself. The laugh that challenged even the gods.

You all came to me begging for power! You were on your knees in front of me. I recall it so very clearly, so very clear. It was a touching moment that could have driven me to tears. I listened to you all whine of tyrants and control. I felt your ratty tongues squeak your ratty problems of the day, and I gave you all cheese to feast on...

His eyes once again met Adrean's. Adrean was unsure what would happen next, but he would stop time and flee if he was able. He had no wish for the mask to continue.

You fattened on my cheese, didn't you Adrean. The self-proclaimed Tyrant starved you, and I fed you. What a fat Rat you are, Adrean.

I wanted to ... I just--- I didn't want it to be like this! Why can't I leave this place?! Take me out of here! They're going to find out!

Every meal has a price. I'll dance upon the ashes of this place. I'll piss on their banners to the claws of the Tyrant. I'll spit in their wine goblets and perch on their thrones. I'll paint black suns to brighten the evenings and darken the days! This is MY home, Adrean! No matter where you go, you are in MY home!

The mask, now only an inch from Adrean's face, shouted at him loudly, a voice that Adrean feared would echo far beyond his Chambers.

You love it in my home! You love to hear my voice! Smile when you see me, Adrean! Laugh with me, Adrean! Laugh at my portrait of the demise of these halls! ... LAUGH!

What madness had Adrean brought upon himself? What foul end would he meet for his indiscretion? What tortures would they place upon him before his death, if they'd even allow him the satisfaction of dying? He knew well what awaited traitors in the house of Bane, and he feared what awaited the stalwart in the house of Cyric... there would be no good to come of this.

I brought a message, Adrean... perhaps I'll go and fetch Gen'Deimos and leave it with him instead. I'm sure he'll take pleasure in passing it to you, since you don't enjoy my voice any longer.

I... I enjoy... your voice.

When you say it so quietly I am uncertain if I believe you. I want to believe, Adrean. Make me believe.

I want to hear your voice!

I knew it to be so... I just wanted to hear you say it. That's all. I have a big piece of cheese waiting for one very special rat if he'll join my friends and I. So come and visit us, we'll be at the Four Lanterns waiting for you...

My lord, when will this be?

Don't sound so formal, Adrean. You may call me Delirium... yes, a sour name for something so sweet.
Working...
X