Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dreams, Visions, and Voices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreams, Visions, and Voices

Caelryth stared blankly at the sleeping woman. He watched as her body lifted and fell with each breath. He wandered how many of his kin enjoyed watching humans sleep and wandered how or if their dreams differed from that of elves.

The wind picked up as the usual rain picked up. The elf reached and covered the woman with a blanket to make sure her sleep went uninterrupted. He stuck his hand out into the rain and closed his eyes. He could almost feel the drops hit against his hand and the sensation of cold tingle through his body.

In his thoughts he drifted to another time and his teacher’s words filled his head.

“We each are affected differently by our powers. Those who gain them from Fey or Elementals usually have it the easiest. You, unfortunately, will not be that lucky. You will grow in power, but it will take something from you in return. Most likely something you truly enjoy.”

Caelryth opens his eyes. He pulls his hand in from the rain and dries it on his cloak lying near by.

The warmth and closeness of another was my price. I have so many memories of solitude. I try to push others away, for their own sake, but in the end I give into the attention others give me, and when I can find it, the intimacy. I think so many take for granted the physical contact with others, be it a simple hand shake amongst friends or the embrace of a loved one.

Fate will tell how this turns out. I have my friends amongst the dwarves, who trust me completely. I am finding more and more of my kin about, which is a good seeing as they usually lack the prejudices that most humans seem to have. I think I might even have impressed a member of the Triad, and if not causing her to hide a smile and blush might have been payment enough.

A smirk crosses Caelryth’s lips as he looks down at the sleeping woman.

You are a mystery. I’m not sure why you’ve defended me so, or why you seem drawn to me, and I to you. There is so much I haven’t told you and in the end I am still uncertain. I have faced resentment before, and have been reduced to the status of monster by those I cared for deeply. I don’t know how much more of this I can take before they get the monster they so strongly believe I am.
    Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
    Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
    Well, you've probably missed it
    There was never anything there
    In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

The mist clouded the path before him, but Caelryth was certain he was supposed to follow. As he walked down the path a figured appeared in the road. Caelryth’s expression became one of shock as the form became clear.

“Father?” The only word that Caelryth could force from his mouth.

The figured nodded.

“Why you? I’ve grown to despise you. Everything you used to accuse the humans of, you fell victim to. Hypocrite! Your lust for power saw your wife die in prison, your youngest son turned into a common thief and your eldest considered a monster!”

Caelryth could feel the rage in him burn. His green eyes had faded and were replaced by an eerie red glow. His fists were clinched to the point where his palms began to bleed.

The figure looked up at the elf before him. He had no eyes. There was only a supernatural blackness in their place.

“Are you that much different, boy?”

The words faded in an echo and the vision had disappeared. Caelryth rubbed his head in frustration.

Why why why! This isn’t right! I’ve done nothing to be haunted by such visions, yet as of late they torment me!

His father’s voice filled the air.

“You’ve taken what isn’t yours! This isn’t the first time boy! Don’t you dare speak to me about lust when you can’t even walk away! You lust after companionship, and in your wake you have left misery and dismay. You are no different.”

You are wrong! You hear me! Don’t pervert what I feel in my heart to your desires of power! It may not have always been perfect, and somebody might have gotten hurt, but God’s damn it, I went into with what I felt was right!

Caelryth draws his sword and begins to shout out loud into the mist.

“You hear me you bastard! Don’t you dare compare what you did to anything in my life! You know shit about passion and good intentions! You hear me!”

The mist and path faded from sight. Caelryth is alone, standing in the blackness. He sees a rain drop, followed by another. Caelryth opened his eyes to find himself at his usual camp in the Viridale. He shakes his head and looks around the forest, one word echoed through his mind.

Solitude.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Caelryth could see the two figures, as if he were an outsider watching the events unfold. He remembered that day well. It seemed odd to live this as an observer.

Elusa, my first love. She was graceful and witty. Many thought her a bit cold and distant, but they didn’t know her as I did.

A young female moon elf examines some tracks in a cave. A gray wolf sits close by as does Caelryth, with his white hair tied back behind his head.

“Those things were big, Elusa. Can’t find the tracks yet?”

A smirk crossed the she-elf’s lips. “You are more than welcome to help if you want. Don’t suppose you could conjure up some insight with that magic of yours?”

Caelryth chuckled. “I’ll shut up and let you do your thing.”

“You have my thanks. They went this way I think. Aidell! Come!” The wolf hoped up and took her place at Elusa’s side.

Caelryth followed behind the ranger and her companion, allowing them to do what they did best. He was always impressed with how she was able to move in and out of shadows with ease, and do so without being heard.

“There seems to be more tracks here. They must have a lair near by.”

“Great, they’ve got friends. A happy gathering of giant, burrowing beetles.” Caeryth looked at the dark path in front of him.

“Umber Hulks, my dear Caelryth. They’re called Umber Hulks. They have the ability to cloud the mind, so we should be careful.”

Caelryth smirks. “I always am.”

Elusa shook her head and continued deeper in the cave. The group headed around bends and over pit falls with caution. They finally round a corner and end in a large open room.

“This doesn’t make sense. The tracks lead here then stop.” Elusa looked around, her bow knocked and ready.

“I take it these Umber Hulks lack the ability to telep….”

The ground started to shake before Caelryth could finish his statement. Aidell looked to the walls and started to growl. Rock burst into the room as three large beetle-like creatures emerged.

“Aidell. Attack.” The wolf leaps at one of the creatures immediately.

Caelryth focuses on the same umber hulk as the wolf, and unleashes a single fiery blast at it. The blast hits its target and the beetle bursts into flame. His victory was short lived though when a large claw knocked the elf across the room where he hit the wall.

“Gods damned things can hit hard.” Caelryth pushes himself up and into a defensive stance.

Elusa remained focused on the enemies. She was a skilled ranger and archer, and had started her training as one of the famed Arcane Archers of her people. Each arrow she touched became enchanted. She quickly fired off two arrows, one hitting the flaming hulk, killing it. Her second arrow found its mark, but failed to pierce its tough chitin.

“I think you pissed it off dear.” Caelryth quickly hit the creature when it turned with a sound blast of flame. It made an awful noise as it fell to the ground, screaming.

Aidell was doing well against his opponent. The large creature was too clumsy to hit the agile wolf, and she was able to out maneuver it. It already had two arrows in it, but it kept swinging. Caelryth prepared to blast the hulk and finish it off when he met its eyes.

Everything around him seemed unreal. He was surrounded by monsters. He began to yell and blasting fiery streams at anything that moved.

So that’s what happened. I damn near hit her with one of those things. That explains what happens next.

Caelryth was snapped back to reality with a strong punch to his upper body.

“You damn near killed me!” Elusa seemed more fearful than angry.

“What? I don’t remember anything. I was fighting and then… everything’s a blur.”

Elusa caught her breath. Aidell nuzzled to her in an attempt to comfort her. Caelryth stepped close to do the same and was met with teeth and a growl from the wolf.

“Alright… alright. Come on. This is a lair. Let’s see if there’s anything of value.”

Elusa exhaled and began removing some rubble. She saw something gray under rock and pulled a dusty old hat free. Caelryth returned with a few pouches of coins and some gems.

“Not a bad haul… what the Hells is that thing.”

“We call this a hat, Caelryth. People generally wear them on their head.”

“I know that, smart ass. But why would anybody wear such a hideous looking thing.”

Elusa smirks at the hat as she stands up. She places it on Caelryth’s head and kisses him softly. “I don’t know, I think it makes you look, well, like you.”

“Well, I guess I can get used it. If I don’t like it, I’ll just get rid of the damn thing.” He smiles and kisses Elusa in return. Aidell looks up and growls.

Elusa turns to leave. “Leave him alone, Aidell.”

Caelryth stuck his tongue out at the wolf, who cocked her head to the side in a confused look.

Without even looking back Elusa spoke up, “And you wonder why she doesn’t like you.”

Caelryth opened his eyes and took in his surroundings. He was in a room at the Four Lanterns Inn. He felt an arm squeeze him as he stirred. The elf smiled and looked to a near by desk, where a dusty gray hat lay as if it were tossed carelessly aside in a bit of haste.

I always believed that all magical items have a story to tell. I would love to hear yours one day.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

"Look at you. Can you even feel her next you, demon?"

Why are you tormenting me? I’m no demon.

“Guilt is a wonderful thing, isn’t it Cael? Tell me? What does her hair feel like? Her weathered skin? Close your eyes all you want, demon, you don’t know. You’re likely to never know. So your gift to an innocent girl is a husk of what used to be an elf. I bet she’s pleased.”

A dark chuckle echoes through the warlock’s head.

“You can’t keep me caged forever. You suppress me, demon, but I’m always here, deep in the back of your mind. I will seep to the surface when you least expect it. Come with me Caelryth.”

The elf finds himself in a stone corridor. There is one way to walk and the elf does so.

I hate stone. It’s so cold and unbending. The limbs of trees at least bend a little before they break, stone just crumbles. It’s what cells and crypts are made of. Why am I here?

“Uziel was wise to cage me. I did a lot of good for you and your brother. Remember what Uziel said, you either have to be touched by Chaos or Evil to wield what you wield.”

He also said that you can keep your moral compass. The law is a hindrance at times, but that has nothing to do with what’s right and wrong.

“You try, don’t you? You let them call you Cael, you even do your best to help them in their little Crusades, even though they would see you destroyed. You’re either hopeless or naïve or perhaps a little of both. We’re here Caelryth.”

Caelryth looks up and sees a figure locked in a cell. He knew well who it was; it was almost a spitting image of himself. His smile had long faded, his green eyes were replaced with red orbs, and his finger nails were gnarled and claw like. The creature smiled to reveal a mouth of pointed teeth.

I made my choice, and I will not go back on it. I have my friends and loved ones to give me comfort. I no longer need the comfort of indifference.

“How long before your friends at the Glade leave you? The Blue Shepardess will soon run low on pity. How long before your own kin turn their backs on you? And what of your dear Hathran? Her warmth will fade to you and soon not even the rhythm in her chest will be known to you. You’ll return to me. In time, demon, in time. Now wake up.”

Caelryth opens his eyes to find himself on the road between SundrenCity and the Viridale Fort. His last memories were in his inn room, resting with Regina in his arms.

This is a first. Maybe I am truly losing my mind.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Working...
        X