Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Observations of the Arcane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations of the Arcane

Falrenn set in library, the memory of the earlier encounter playing out in his mind. He looked at the blank page of his empty book and sighed. He lifted his quill and began to write.

I would have never thought at any point in my life I could muster sympathy for a goblin. The filthy little creatures have tormented my kind for centuries to the point where we are trained as children in fighting them. Tonight I think I crossed a line, a line that I never knew existed.

It started with a spell I found and researched. I was excited to find an illusion spell of such power, and thought myself lucky to rid the goblins of such a thing. The phantasm is called Curse of the Putrid Husk. It causes an enemy to believe himself coming apart. He sees his innards melt from hi body. I’m studying illusions that simply cause an enemy to die, and I thought this mild in comparison. I was wrong.

I had ventured into the caves to help a dwarf gather some ore. We had with us an elf that was quite adept at getting into places that others wanted us kept out of. We came into a room where five of the little bastards ambushed us. They, as usual, had a few set back with bows and crossbows, but my wards made sure they were of little concern. Three charged at us, including one particular nasty looking beast, which had some magical ability. I cast my spell at that one.

The goblin first reacted with what I could only describe as shock. He stood there for a brief moment, and I thought that my spell was a success, but I’d only see a small portion of it. The poor creature fell on the ground screaming. These weren’t screams of pain, but of shear terror. The noise that escaped the creature’s lips will be stuck in my head for years to come. The contorted look on its face was dreadful. I can’t think of the words you could use to describe such a display. The moment was finally over when my victim’s skull was smashed by my companion dwarf’s hammer.

My main reason for studying magic is to help others. I understand fully that magic is very powerful and one of its primary uses is to defeat your foes. This spell is not how I would want to accomplish that task. I have many other spells in my arsenal that could prove useful and shall reserve this phantasm for a dire situation.

I pray to the Master of Illusion that I never have to shape this truth again.

The gnome sighs and closes the book. Elina, his ferret, seemed to sense something wrong, and nuzzled his hand. Falrenn forced a smile and picked her up, gently petting her.

“I’ve still much to learn, my friend. I hope all lessons aren’t as hard as this one.”
    Byrun - Wandering Swordsman
    Falrenn Silvershade - Shaper of Truths

If you're searching the lines for a point
    Well, you've probably missed it
    There was never anything there
    In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Silver Sam

Falrenn returns to his room for a brief break in his busy day of research and study. He opens his window and Elina quickly scurries out onto a near by branch, most likely in search of food. The gnome places a book and ink well on his desk and he begins to write.

I met another arcanist of sorts today. He was a tall silver haired human who uses wizard magic to enhance his prowess with a blade. The man seemed to be confused about his name, an odd scenario to say the least. I heard Miss Ariel and her paramour refer to the man as Sam. We had and earlier discussion and he seemed partial to a nick name involving the word silver, most likely due to the color of his hair. After leaving the man to his own business I came up with the name Silver Sam. It seems that Silver Sam is training to be one of the famed Mage Knights.

I have passing knowledge of Mage Knights, but haven’t actually met very many in my travels. I am curious to see how things play out with Sam and will have to make a note to visit him from time to time to see how well he’s doing with reaching his goal. I simply look to improve my magic, using the spells directly to affect my enemies while protecting myself. To study how Silver Sam uses his magic differently should prove very interesting.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

A Lesson on Preparation

Falrenn returned to his room at the Four Lanterns with a heavy heart. Elina sensed this about her master, and decided to let him have his room. The gnome opened his book and thought awhile about a heading for the page before penning A Lesson on Preparation.

I’m sure she would say it wasn’t my fault, that’s the kind of person she is. There were three of us that decided to go fight the ogres in the Viridale Wood. First was Lady Shea Willowfoot, a lovely and powerful Holy Warrior. Then there was Lady Delanae Fenwaren, a halfling priestess whose kindness and demeanor could cause a dwarf to blush. Finally, there was me, the aspiring illusionist trying to find his place in the Valley. The three of us were certainly capable, at least I thought so.

We fought our way through the gnolls, goblins, and ogres that patrolled the depths of the Viridale. We made camp not far from the cave, making sure that we kept an eye on the entrance, which was eerily silent. While the two women were praying, I was trying to prepare for the upcoming battle. I had a great deal on my mind. I’m trying to get into the Hands of Mundus, for one. I was still a little angry at Lord Sergei for his bluntly rude comments at the Trading Post. The point was, my mind was in other places instead of where it needed to be. In my haste, I didn’t prepare properly. I had wasted valuable time on arrow protections when the foes we were going to face hadn’t any missile weapons.

The trip in was hard fought. We battled through fierce berserkers, powerful shamans, and ogres who were fairly adept in the arcane. We made our way to their chief. With Lady Willowfoot’s flaming sword, Lady Fenwaren’s summoned creatures, and a little help from an empowered Ray of Enfeeblement, the chief didn’t stand long. Ogres, it would seem, are smarter than you’d think.

We were nearing the exit to the cave when they sprang their ambush. Lady Willowfoot bravely fought them as Lady Fenwaren and I tried our best to support her, but eventually she fell. They had managed to get us separated so we couldn’t aid one another. Delanae… well she fought fiercely. I thought for sure she would’ve fallen as well, but we managed to kill the few that blocked our escape. She quickly picked up Shea’s body, which was badly battered. Shea’s wounds were bandaged, then we promptly made our way to the Druid’s Glade.

I thought long and hard about the whole ordeal. If I had planned a little better, I might have been able to get us all out unscathed. All I have now is hope that my friends who trusted me to protect them will be alright. Time will heal the wounds of the body, and I hope that my guilt on this will pass as well.

A lesson learned the hard way is perhaps the one that sticks with you the best. I hope I don’t fail those I care about like that again.

Falrenn leaves the book open so the ink can dry. He climbs into his bed and rests his head against the pillow, slowly drifting asleep.

In the first place

Wax Fang - Majestic

Comment

Working...
      X