Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Looking-Glass Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Looking-Glass Eye

Dear Journal,

Arrived early. That was perhaps the only good thing that might be said about the trip by sea. I was sick, I was tired, my possessions were damaged, most beyond repair, and I still can’t get the smell of sailor’s miasma out of my hair. But, for all that, here I am, and here I shall stay until my studies cannot progress further.

I think I like it here. It is difficult to tell, as I have not been here long, but the people seem mostly nice. This has actually been the cause of some frustration, Journal. It seems I am widely becoming considered tactless! Uncouth, with a predisposition for “scathing words.” I, the very paragon of humility and gentility, accused of being “mean.” Hmmph. Even so, they seem to suffer my presence, so I must not be entirely odious. Either that or they intend to rob me.

Who are “they?” Well, first, there is Renn, a gnome. An illusionist. “Shaper of Truths” my ass. He is a nice guy, don’t get me wrong, Journal, but illusion… it’s just so.. deceitful. He insists constantly on perception being truth, and every time he does I feel like… well, doing something mean. Maybe they have a point? Anyway, he was one of the first I have met, and has been the only companion to stick around, even going out of his way to accompany me. I flatter myself to think he enjoys my company. He is a wizard, which I respect. I would just never want him to know that. He worships Baravar Cloakshadow (Gnome deities always have such quaint, interesting names).

There’s also Mister Locke, a gentleman of large stature and overwhelming politeness. Civility hangs so heavily around him I feel as though I might choke on it. He would probably politely excuse me for coughing if I did. He seems to follow Torm, unless he had an inexplicable propensity for wishing True upon people. He haunts a cart near the gates. I sometimes haunt this cart too.

Mister Aerick, who is the image of uncomfortable gentility. He is polite, almost to a fault, but seems uncomfortable in his skin. He is much akin to a puppy expecting the rod at any moment. I feel pity and disdain simultaneously. I try to restrain myself from poking fun at him, from using his awkwardness as the butt of jokes, and from purposely making things worse for him, I really do, but I am not always successful in restraining myself. Maybe I AM mean.

My relationship with local mages has been cordial, for the most part, but I seem to have mixed results with the nature-lovers of the region. On the one hand I met the Warbloods. They are a clan of orc who worship some nature spirit called the “Bear Totem.” They are surprisingly polite, loyal, effective, and reliable. They hate goblins, as do I (increasingly so). We got along very well. On the other hand, I went to the druid glade. I met a feral Halfling who threatened me with bears and a bilious, overbearing, arrogant elf. I made short work of alienating myself from them and left without fanfare. I fear I may have closed a door there. Let’s hope proverbial sayings come true.

I have been funding my extravagant lifestyle of soup, bread, and study by doing small jobs for the local “Exigo” mining camp. It is overrun with goblins (as mentioned earlier). My work seems to be helping. I can honestly say I am proud to be making an impact. Practicing my magic in a combat situation is nice too.

When not harassing people (apparently) or helping the Exigo, I spend my time studying. Current research: crystal densities. Renn is a jeweler, and has offered to help me cut and form a crystal, should I find the raw components. With a proper crystal ball I could begin my studies into divination and scrying in earnest. I will make Savras proud. You’ll see, Journal.

Off to find the Truth of it,
    Celeste.

Things that want to kill me: (left) Feral Halflings; (center) Zombies; (right) Goblins.
    Mari: A hin with little purpose.

Angelise Bryont: Paladin and Dawnbringer of Lathander, Master of Radiance, freelance member of the Arbiter's Alliance. (On Hold)

Dear Journal,

Updates. First, it was inevitable: while fighting goblins I was very nearly killed. A small group of us had trekked into the forest and were fighting gnolls and goblins. All had gone well. I had a gnoll head in a sack, part of a bounty I was collecting. Incidentally, watching someone hack a head off of anything is disgusting. Soon after, however, we were fighting goblins when a swarm came upon us. The fight was going well enough when one snuck around and stabbed me. I must have lost a lot of blood, as I do not remember the rest of the day or how I got back to town. I had a splitting headache the rest of the day. Even still I feel weak. Suffice to say, I will be more careful about putting myself in danger in the future.

One of my companions on this venture was a Halfling, one of the few I have met. Her name is Shea, and she is a paladin of Avoreen. Paladins fascinate me. The entirely selfless lifestyle seems impossible to maintain. She was, as expected, very polite. It is nice to meet other Halflings, too, especially after meeting that feral Halfling.

Renn continues to surprise and impress. He seems to no longer be of the opinion that I am just a crass bully, which is nice, as I do not consider myself such either. In fact, if I did not know any better, I’d think he was becoming quite smitten with me. There is something to be said about a man who speaks four of the same languages as you. Last night we spoke a great deal about Truth, Fate, and Coincidence. It is, I must admit, odd meeting an illusionist I get along with so well.

My studies go well. Everyday, new secrets unlock! I have even found several vendors in the surrounding settlements that sell scrolls and research supplies. My spellbook grows daily. By now I am capable of second circle spells. My mornings are spent studying divination and scrying. I have found the library to be a wonderful utility. Oddly, I have not found much in the way of established arcane study centers, but I have met several mages. Perhaps soon I will begin looking for an organization that might utilize my skills. Renn is a merchant with the Exigo, but that seems a tad mercenary for me. I need somewhere I can do some good. That’s probably just my jealousy of that paladin talking though.

With an Eye to the Future,
    Celeste.

Pictured: Early morning study just never seems like work when you're a diviner.

Angelise Bryont: Paladin and Dawnbringer of Lathander, Master of Radiance, freelance member of the Arbiter's Alliance. (On Hold)

Comment

Dear Journal,
      I met a man named Mister Akagi who spoke of an organization of Magi nearby. Very powerful Magi, apparently. This organization is known as the Hands of Mundus. Unfortunately, that is the extent of what I learned from him. My task now is to discern more about this mysterious cadre of arcane minded people. To this end, I shall visit my local library! They have a vast repertoire of works, contemporary and otherwise. I can only imagine they have information on local organizations of repute.

Further, I have discovered the local university. An honest-to-gods institution of higher learning. I intend to visit there as well, either to enroll or to simply beg, borrow, or steal whatever equipment I may. My studies are becoming stymied by a lack of proper divination supplies to tinker and test myself with. Even a simple proper scrying mirror would be endlessly valuable. I would kill for a set of focus stones.

In more personal news, Renn finally worked up the courage to ask me on a date, of sorts. So, I suppose we are dating? An odd prospect, for several reasons: first, he is a Gnome, where I am a Halfling, which presents all sorts of hilarious scenarios suitable for rather crude jokes; second, he is an Illusionist, where I am a Diviner, opposing each other almost perfectly in purpose; third, he’s, first and foremost, a merchant, where I am, first and foremost, a scholar. Even given all of that I am strangely optimistic about the future of this relationship. If nothing else, I am happier around him. That’s something, right?

In more unfortunate news, I very nearly died again. To the exact same goblins, no less. I am terrible at this adventuring life. This is, I admit, part of my inspiration for seeking out these institutions of learning. I would much rather spend my time in the lab than doing “field work” of the sort I have been.

Fate Favor,
      Celeste.

Dear Journal,

Addendum:
      Speaking with Renn, I learned that the Hand keep office in a nearby settlement. I also learned they are occasionally at odds with the Triad? Peculiar, and does not bode well. I am still determined to learn more about them.

Speaking of Renn, we went on another date. We kissed. At the risk of sounding like a giddy schoolgirl, it was… very, very nice. He’s quite the gentleman.

The Truth Is Out There,
      Celeste

Pictured: A quick sketch of my Renn. Hopefully he'll never see this.

Comment

Working...
      X