Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elves

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elves

I am by no means an expert on Forgotten Realms Elvendom, but here are some useful sources available online. Not every elf has to be the stereotype obviously, especially when it comes to adventurers, but it helps to know some basic, typical, and/or common elven information to help RPing both for elves and non elves who interact with them.

Forgotten Realms Elven Netbook (LOTS of useful info compiled by veteran FR elven RPers):

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=732165

Info from the Wikipedia on the Seldarine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seldarine

A good place to start for backgrounds and history on Faerun Elves Concise but very helpful:

http://realmscape.mortality.net/Chondalwood/telquessir.html
    Cultural Aspects

Elves tend to disdain the alcoholic drinks of the other races, finding them crude to the elven taste buds.

Elves do not sleep, but entera meditative trance known as Reverie, wherein eyes often remain open and life signs diminish dramatically. This is a communal function, connecting elves nearby to one another emotionally. Elves will occasionally sleep as other races do when badly injured or sick.

Elven culture does not hold a taboo on nudity. As such, public bathing and revealing clothing are normal experiences within the community.

Elves are clean creatures by nature and as such bathe often and keep their gear and homes clean and well-maintained. It is rude to enter an elven home while unclean.

Elves, especially Gold, Wild, and Wood elves, often have a disdain for other races and their items, viewing them as inferior and crude. Although elves tend to hold these views, they also respect certain aspects of their cultures. Examples would be dwarven masonry, gnomish alchemy or mechanisms, or human music and art.

Most elves do not choose a particular deity, but worship the entire elven pantheon.Elves hold a wonder for magic, and love even the simplest of magical devices.

Most Wood and Wild elves, and some other elves, have a strong dislike for half-elves.

All elves hold a reverence for nature, especially trees and creatures. Abuse of nature saddens, sickens, and angers the elvish people.Tomb-robbing is an act of vile evil. No theft of graves or tombs is tolerated.

Elves hate things of evil, especially undead and beings from the lower planes. (Note this would apply to non evil elves; there are, obviously, corrupt and dark hearted elves just like with most other sentient races, but not as common as say, evil humans)

Elven culture has a 5-year mourning period after the death of a spouse before one can remarry.

Sex is an act of love in elven culture, and is thus practiced only under those cercumstances. The exception is the Wood and Wild elves, who allow flirtation and love-making as a way of life and a source of fun and enjoyment.

Calling a Moon (or Silver) elf a "gray" elf is the most vicious of insults, especially if the user is an elf.

Elves can enter a one-time permanent bond with another elf who is to be a life-mate. This is called Bonding, Rapport or "Aleiryid", each member of the link being the others 'aleirin". They can share some thoughts and feelings through this link. Occasionally, the linked elves can feel each others presence through their entwined lifeforces. When one dies, the other feels it. This is a deeply spiritual bond, symbolizing the deepest of feelings for one another, and a dedication to that person. Usually offered by the male, this is a deep symbol of respect and caring for the intended "aleirin". This is also the deepest of honors to the offered individual, suggesting a lifetime of companionship and caring. An eternal bond.

Elves see their wines as a sacred symbol of their people, and any show of disrespect while consuming them is a serious offense (i.e. guzzling, wasting, or spilling the wine).

The bending of one's ear, directed at an elf, is the most dire of insults, and is the equivilant of the showing of a middle finger and combining every applicable racial slurr all in one gesture.

Elvish Vocabulary

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dagnirion/Elven.html for more...

Tel'Quessir - Literally, "The People"; in reference to elves.
    N'Tel'Quess - Literally, "Not People"; in reference to non-elves, sometimes used as an insult.
    Ar'Tel'Quessir - Formal name for the "High" elven subrace.
    Teru'Tel"Quessir - Formal name for the "Moon" elven subrace.
    Sy'Tel'Quessir - Formal name for the "Wild" and "Wood" elven subrace.
    Alu'Tel'Quessir - Formal name for the "Sea" elven subrace.
    Quessir - Formal title; "A male elf of honorable birth and character.
    "Etrielle - Formal title; "A female elf of honorable birth and character.
    "Es'Caerta - Deeply emotional plee; normally ending a prayer blessing and beseaching the gods.
    Cinnaelos'Cor - Literally, "The Day of Corellon's Peace"; an elvish holiday that has come to be Shieldmeet.
    Aleirin - A title of love and honor given by one half of a Rapport (or Aleiryid) to the other.
    Aleiryid - The "Rapport"; a special link between two elves that is a lifebond of deep caring and friendship (see "Cultural Aspects above, also).

Elvish Phrases

• Sweet water and light laughter - A well-wishing; goodbye
    • Glad homeagain - A well-wishing; greeting
    • Too long away, too quick gone - A well-wishing; goodbye
    • Till next - A well-wishing; goodbye
    • Merry meeting - A well-wishing; greeting
    • Tree-friends - Fellow goodly inhabitants of the forest, such as satyrs, treants, centaurs, and most feys.
    • Elf-friend - The highest honor given by elves to non-elves, signifying a life-long bond of friendship and a pledge of aid whenever needed. To name someone "elf-friend" is to vouch for them and their character. Any wrong-doing by the person named "elf-friend" is placed at the feet of the namer.
    • Breed - A derogatory racial remark towards half-elves; short for "half-breed".
    Elvish Drinks

Elverquisst - wine
    Elquesstria - wine
    Elixir du Vole - cordial
    Dawnberry cordial
    Raspberry mead
    Triplewild mead
    Clover tea
    Woodberry tea
    Chilled berry juice
    morning dew - ale
    Sharaerann Amber - wine
    Brissberry Cordial
    Green Tea w/honey, ginger
    Haerlu Gold Brandy

Elven Names:

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/dagnirion/Elven2.html
    Last edited by Ithildur; 03-03-2007, 04:14 PM.
    PC - Corwin Eska'las (Sun Elf pursuing the dream of becoming a Bladesinger)

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Article on the Elven Mindset from the Elven Netbook:

“For humanity, life is change. For Elvenkind, life is and ever shall be. That basic philosophical difference shall stand between Elves and Humans as a near-unconquerable breach between the races’ understanding of each other. Many sources, sages, and soothsayers have attempted to explain the Elves to Humans, to little avail and much information. Strange that they now, in plumbing the depths of Elven history and its heights, find it prudent to ask the People about themselves. As for the Elves of Cormanthyr, they were true Elves, and much of what we can learn of them still holds generations later. However, bear in mind that the elves of Myth Drannor, and those of other lands (including others in Cormanthyr), may hold differences equally as diverse as those among humans of other cities and countries.”

-Haalaari Nhachashaal, Moon Elven historian of Candlekeep circa DR 1369, Year of the Gauntlet

From the perspective of N’Tel’Quessir, I am told that Elves appear haughty, arrogant, overconfident, egotistical and lethargic as a whole. N’Tel’Quessir will never understand what it is to be Tel’Quessir, however. They will never understand how the mind of an Elf works. The main difference between the Fair Folk and other races is the enormous lifespan we possess. Most races do not- or can not- fathom the perspective that possessing hundreds of years of life lends.

Having centuries to live bestows the Fair Folk with a driving ambition. There is no task that we cannot complete, because time is not an issue. But, paradoxically, it also bestows us with a lackadaisical attitude. Why finish something this year, when there is time next century?

This is the reason why Elves have achieved such great hights, but at such a slow pace. It was not because of a lack of inspiration, or societal stagnation, preventing us from reaching new goals. It was because of our own natures.
    Ancient Netheril, which was undoubtedly the greatest nation to stem from Human hands, achieved great heights nearly overnight , but quickly became no more. Cormanthyr, arguably the greatest nation to stem from Elven hands, achieved great heights over a long period, and diminished in an equally long timeframe. Netheril was a flame that suddenly roared to life, but quickly dissipated. Cormanthyr was a small flame that- over time- grew strong, and- over time- flickered out.

Of course, our amazing lifespan bestows upon us an important virtue- patience. We do not mind waiting days, weeks, years, decades, or even centuries to complete a task we have begun. We are most bemused with the vice of impatience that other races possess, especially Humans. In the time an Elf takes to truly sit back and contemplate the beauty that is existence, generations of Humans could have been born, risen kingdoms, and fallen.

Elven sculptors, who are called Shapers, often take centuries to finish their work. Harnessing the power of nature, they can spend centuries shaping a stone using the steady drip of a waterfall, or the steady flow of the wind. Elven wizards- especially the Selu’Taar- have been known to take decades doing research and testing for one specific spell. Most Elves live their first century under the protective wing of their parents, before being allowed to venture out on their own, as adults. To us, the passing of time is simply not an issue.

That is not to say that we never move with haste. If the need for haste is truly urgent, the Fair Folk move faster and more decisively than most others, having had years of practice. The entire Crusade against Sarya Dlardrageth, which included the defense of Evereska, the reclamation of Myth Glaurach and the reoccupation of Myth Drannor all took place within less than a year.

We do not worry about experiencing things during our time among the living. A young Human sell-sword I once met while living on Faer?n was not yet into his second decade of life, and seemed to have his entire future planned out. “One day, ah plan t’ find a nice lass, settle down, an’ have a few children. Ah figure, once ah get adventurin’ out of my system, ah’l open up a shop back in Suzail, an’ become a smithy. Hell, maybe ah’l strike it rich, slayin’ a Dragon, an’ won’t have t’ work…” This young lad, with mere wisps of the facial hair Humans call moustaches, had planned out his entire future.

We do not worry about getting everything we plan to do finished. Instead, we simply live- a concept foreign to many, I understand. When I was naught but a young lad, I did not worry about my future. I did not worry about a wife, about a job, about any of that. I simply lived in the present, searching more things to quench my insatiable appetite and curiosity.

On all of Toril, there is truly no one like the Tel’Quessir. We are born carefree, and generally keep this lackadaisical attitude all our lives. Of course, as we grow older, we mature, and grow more cautious and weary of the world. But, a true Elf never looses his or her warmth, vitality and zest for life.
    Last edited by Ithildur; 03-03-2007, 04:53 PM.

Alt PC - Brevin Smoothands (meticulously groomed half orc bard swashbuckler... sort of... sings great, less fighting)

Comment

Thoughts of an elven Wizard on magic and the Elves (from the Elven Netbook):

“What is magic, you ask me? I can only tell you what I know. I know magic is my life, my path, my friend, my art. That is something any of The People would tell you, because that is the truth about magic. Humans- and please don’t take this as an insult- use magic only as a tool, but they never feel it. History shows how “mighty” human empires that abused of magic were destroyed not by outside enemies, but by themselves, due to their hubris by believing themselves above gods.
      For us Elves, magic is different, since before we are born, we are already connected to its source. Yes, we can blast our enemies with powerful evocations. I am a good example of this, because I study Air Magic in all its shapes, both offensive and defensive. The difference is that we only do it when the need is dire. It’s the most important lesson of wielding the Art, when not to cast a spell. Learn it and you will be on the right path to become a great wizard.”

-Alediran Tir’ent of Evermeet, DR 1371, Year of the Unstrung Harp

Someone I once knew said that, while Humans only use the Weave, we are the Weave. In a way, he was being metaphorical. But, at the same time, he was telling the truth. We Tel’Quessir are linked to the magical Weave of Faer?n.

Most Human wizards I have encountered in my travels over the centuries see magic as a tool. They use it to unlock doors when they need to. They use it to blast enemies, when they need to. They use it to alter events more to their liking, when they need to. To them, magic is simply an instrument that is used as an end to a means.

Magic is something much more personal to the Tel’Quessir. Magic is our being. Magic is our sustenance. Magic, simply, is what we are. We are one with the Weave, and because of such, have such an understanding of it that most other wizards can only dream about. Just as a peasant can only dream of attaining such heights as a wizard, most wizards can only dream about attaining such closeness with the Weave as we Elves have.

I have lived for over four centuries, and I know of no Elf who has never touched the Weave, and cast at least a single cantrip. Because we all share the same understanding of magic, we all have a healthy respect for it. Wizards are respected for their ability to touch the Weave, and High Magi are nearly revered, for their understanding of the magical Weave is unparalleled. Many other cultures look down upon those who shape the Weave, especially those that espouse martial abilities. The Tel’Quessir, however, have a great deal of respect for those who follow the Arcane path.

With the use of magic, we Elves have created some of the most famous, and most powerful cities and nations on all of Toril. Magic was responsible for the many wonders of Cormanthyr. Magic is responsible for the beauty that is Evermeet, the Green Isle. In the past, magic was responsible for cleansing blights, protecting the land, feeding and healing the people, and creating the many marvelous structures that are synonymous with Elven culture.

We Elves are responsible for some of the greatest feats ever accomplished with magic in part because we were the first to use it. It is a well-known fact among the Tel’Quessir that we taught most other races how to feel the Weave, and draw power from it. Many, to this day, regret that decision, made thousands and thousands of years ago, because most “short-lives” wield the power irresponsibly. The Netherese, who learned magic from the Tel’Quessir, overused, overtaxed and abused the Weave of Mystryl. Karsus, the greatest Arcanist of Netheril, went so far as to temporarily steal the divinity of Mystryl, and nearly unraveling the Weave. Fortunately, Mystryl sacrificed herself so that Karsus’ spell would end, and the Weave would be preserved.

Like wizards of any other race, we study as apprentices before we can be considered wizards. Until recently, when the traitor Kymil Nimesin attacked Evermeet, we studied for years in the Towers of the Sun and Moon. Because of our extended lifespan, however, we often apprentice for decades- far longer than most other races. It is because we study the basics of arcane knowledge for so long that we have such an understanding of magic, and use it wisely.

That is not to say, however, that there were never times in our long history where we Tel’Quessir abused our power. Long ago, during the Elven Crown Wars, High Magic wrecked destruction across the world. The Mormhaor’Sykerylor, The Killing Storm, ravaged Miyeritar. The Uaul’Selu’Keryth, The Sundering, literally shattered the world. Other legends speak of spells that could turn air into fire, and spells even more destructive.

Unlike most Humans, we learn from our mistakes. Never since those ancient days have spells so potent been unleashed upon the world. Most of these spells have been intentionally forgotten, so that they may never be used again. Some have been locked away, and guarded by Baelnorn, only to be used again during the most dire of emergencies.

Humans seem to stumble over the same mistakes again and again. Ancient Imaskar reached great heights using magic, but used it irresponsibly, and eventually fell. Netheril reached great heights using magic, but used it irresponsibly, and eventually fell. Corellon knows, in the future, yet another Human civilization will attain great heights using magic, but will use it irresponsibly and will fall.

We Elves shape magic for more modest reasons than the power hungry wizards of Imaskar, or Netheril. We create glassteel, a strong, transparent glass used in furniture and buildings. We coax plants to grow in different ways. We enchant our sea vessels to gracefully sail the seas. We enchant our spelljammers to effortlessly sail through the Outer Void. We create Mythals to protect our people and our cities. Reverie, and even the communion that we all share is a form of magic that we all tap into.

As I mentioned a few times earlier, we Elves are shapers of great magics. The greatest of our magical treasures is called High Magic. Elven High Mages, known as Selu’Taar, or ‘High Casters’, work together in groups called ‘Circles’, in which they create feats of magic unparalleled by any specific being from any culture.

I myself am not a Selu’Taar, but an acquaintance of mine, Alediren Tir’ent, knows one of the Selu’Taar. When the young Elfling asked, the Selu’Taar, his own father, responded, “The first thing an Elf needs to remember, is that becoming one of the guardians of this powerful Art carries a great burden and responsibility.”

The elder Tir’ent is correct. With great power and prestige comes great responsibility. Selu’Taar are always old, even by Elven standards. When the call to Arvandor begins singing in their ears, they ignore it, and therefore do not pass west, to Arvandor. It is said that their inner longing for Arvandor is what powers their spells, and allows them to perform such feats with magic.

According to the elder Tir’ent, “High Magic, when used, is also very dangerous. Many High Magic rituals take the life of the central Mage and some, even the lives of all spell casters in the ritual.” This is the reason why no other cultures have ever had spell casters such as the Selu’Taar’Tel’Quessir. While other races fear death, and will do anything to prevent it, we Elves embrace it, for only in death will we commune with the Seldarine, in Arvandor.

We Elves, given our eldritch nature, have created many different forms of magic over the many years. Asides for mundane wizards and Selu’Taar, there are many different paths a young Elfling can follow. Arcane Archers, also known as Spellarchers, are wizards who have combined the arcane arts with the bow. El'Tael, known as Bladesingers are a special lot, who have blended martial and arcane arts into a single fighting style, known as the Bladesong. The Valantra, also known as Spellsingers, command great magics with simple song.

There are still some lesser known paths that an Elf may follow, but many a secret, and are not meant to be known by other Tel’Quessir and N’Tel’Quessir alike…
      Last edited by Ithildur; 03-03-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

The Elves

Tel'Seldarine- the Elven Pantheon

The Seldarine is the elven pantheon. Their alignments have been changed to better suit their temperaments. As a racial pantheon, they are more lenient on alignment discrepancies amongst their following and clergy. Nothing is changed except the mechanic of their exact alignments.

Corellon Larethian - Neutral Good.
        Angharradh (Hanali Celanil, Aerdrie Faenya, Sehanine Moonbow) - Chaotic Good.
        Deep Sashelas - Neutral Good.
        Erevan Ilesere - Chaotic Neutral.
        Fenmarel Mestarine - True Neutral.
        Labelas Enoreth - Lawful Good.
        Rillifane Rallathil - True Neutral.
        Shevarash - Chaotic Neutral.
        Solonor Thelandira - Neutral Good.
        Last edited by Euniana; 04-07-2007, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X