Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else.....

....dealt with their dog having seizures?
    This is the 2nd one she has had in a month and a half.
    I'm a bit worried now.I am going to take her to a vet , but if anyone here has a pet that has had seizures , please leave some advice or anything that may help.
    "Feel the fervor growing,but the hate is stronger.My heart was whole with you,but the pain was mine."

I had a yellow lab who would get seizures from over stimulation. Pretty scary stuff, but because its a dog and there was no such thing as neuro surgery for animals 15 years ago, there was nothing we could do except dose her with antihistamines (which the vet told us to do, not home treated) It kept the seizures away, but it severly curbed her energy level.

I never got a good explanation of what it was they did, but it had something to do with blocking specific neuro transmitters that triggered the seizures.

Anyways, for us, it was a good trade off, no life threatening seizures in exchange for a sleepier and less active member of the family, who couldn't tell us what she wanted.

Comment

Yeah, I had a dog ten years or so back that was having seizures pretty bad. It was pretty tough to go through that (actually sitting with her while she was doing that). We took her to the Vet and got x-rays and all that jazz. She had a real high lelvel of toxins in her blood (can't remember what they were called, but basically urine). They figured it was some kind of liver or kidney failure and that's where the toxins were coming from. A high enough level of these toxins cause the seizures. They said she was eating gravel (from the rocks they saw in her stomach). Appearently, when dogs seize, they'll eat anything they can get in they're mouth because they can't see or smell...some nonsense like that.

Then a week or two after I finally got her diagnosed (while they were about to perscribe some ridiculously expensive medicine), I walked into the bathroom and there was the dog, chowing down in the cat's litter box. I ran her out and went on about my night.

Somwhere over the next 24 hours, I managed to start putting all the pieces of the puzzle together: from the toxins in her blood (urine), to what appeared to be rocks in her stomach...cat doo doo.

So, long story to tell you check to see if it's eating outta the litter box before spending a lot of money at the Vet. I hope this helps and that it really is that simple.
      Larando de'Kaun: Larando's history.
      Originally posted by Gabryal
      is it just me or is Larando kind of the Monty Python of villains? It seems that everything he tries doesn't just go wrong, but horribly so
      Cazador: The marauding beast's heart.
      "The Hunt must be clean. If disease or affliction is visited on hunters by a beast, clergy of Malar must do all they can to root out and exterminate the taint, that bloodlines and beasts in the wild remain always strong." -The gospel of Saernclaws

Comment

I think she does chow down on some gritty kitty bars..Like when everyone is asleep.Its just crazy man , she buggs out and it seems her muscles are locking up.When she tries to walk around her equilibrium is way off.Makes me wonder if she has like a urinary tract infection that just got real bad or something.Or maybe the gritty kitty bars.Dunno,but its scary.
        "Feel the fervor growing,but the hate is stronger.My heart was whole with you,but the pain was mine."

Comment

I have a 8-9 year old boxer who pretty health, she done it three times over the last two months. Really dont know what to do, though it been a month sense her last one.
          Currents:
          Nothing yet.

Forgottens, as time has slip, so have they.
          Varnz Fury - Born again Druid
          Luke Harper - Seadog of the Sea.

Comment

I had an Alaskan malamute who suffered from seizures due to some sort of dwarfism, the vets were treating it with phenobarbital. He ended up having to be put down though, because his seizures led to him developing a really nasty behavior disorder, and no, lollipops and hugs didn't help it none.
            Daelus Bloodmoon (a.k.a. "Thistlegrasper") - Ranger, untrusting and sarcastic ne'er-do-well, and overall jerk.

Dae's theme (For now at least): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNh9f2Wwm0

Comment

Working...
            X