Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Optimizing two cores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing two cores

I have a dual core CPU and I've noticed that NWN2 has all the load on one core. From what I hear, there's a way of shifting the OS to one core, and all the apps to the other. Does anyone know how one would accomplish said thing? Getting both cores on NWN2 would be fine too, as it seems rather inefficient to have one core going at max while the other idles.
    "Mad" Jack Flynn - "Godless wanderer"

NWN2 is single-threaded, so it will only ever be able to use one core. The toolset however is multi-threaded.

While it is true you can run some applications on a different core, this usually requires a custom program to do such, and they are generally very flaky. For all intensive purposes it won't make much of a difference anyway, especially with NWN2.

To manually see the difference yourself, you can simply hit CTRL + ALT + DEL and go to the task manager. Go to the processes tab and right click on the nwn2main.exe process, and select "Set Affinity". You could then for example set NWN2 to only use Core 1.

Some people have reported a performance increase in NWN2 by assigning it to one core, but honestly it shouldn't make any difference at all, and comes down to your system configuration.

Hope this helps.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I tried raising the priority and setting it to both cores, but it gave me some stability warning, I'm testing it now.
      "Mad" Jack Flynn - "Godless wanderer"

Comment

Hmm, this may help me out a bit as well. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X