Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fave Pen & Paper moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fave Pen & Paper moments

Everyone has a memorable story if they've played Pen & Paper D&D.

I'd like to hear of funny, crazy or just sublime moments from a past adventure or campaigns. Usually they are ones that really had you on the edge or got your blood pumping. That's where the fun is!

My most recent memory was a wooden bridge in a vast underground cavern. I played the elven Ranger. We had trotted up to the bridge not really knowing what to expect and were beset upon by angry Orcs, and archers, who began crossing towards us. On the other side orc began cranking a wheel to withdraw the bridge so we could not attack on foot.

After a barrage of arrows we charged. I was able to make a crazy bowshot and stop the wheel, after which we took the battle to them in the middle of that unstable rope bridge. Action was fast and furious action with the bridge nearly giving out or people falling off, arrows left and right.

I also remember later on, we were attacked by a gigantic spider. Our then warforge barbarian lept onto it's back from 30' up, squishing it and nearly dying himself! Good times!
    Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Most recently.. I had rolled a Lurk (a psionic assassin class) and managed to kill three level 3 guardsman and a level 6 rogue alone while I, myself, was only level 3; all without breaking stealth. Was a rather lucky set of rolls, but it was probably the most fun prison break I've staged in a game thus far.
    -Harbinger of Justice

Death:"Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."

Woman: "Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little--"

Death: "Yes. As Practice. You have to start out learning to believe the little lies."

Woman: "So we can belive the big ones?"

Death: "Yes. Justice. Mercy. Duty. Things of that nature."

Comment

Well the only time I played D&D PnP was about 7 months ago. (I'm heavy into Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay still.)

My Warlock self, a Sorceror, a Warmage and a Bard (what a party heh) were being led to the equivalent of monkey island, searching for a great treasure.
      Anyways we came to a part inside the extinct volacno where we entered a corridor (something like 20 fert long), lined with drains. At the other end was a pair of coconuts hanging on a line on a nail.
      No doors. A dead end?
      Oh the Sorceror and Bard tried to search for hidden traps, detecting hidden doors or magic on the coconut, the works ala spells. My Warmage actually didn't use any spells and tried pressing in the nail or taking off the coconuts. I think he was tempted to begin blasting, but we didn't want the place collapsing on our heads.

Literally for 15 real minutes my party stood at a standstill. Then I decide to make an intell check because I think I out of character had finally figured it out. I rolled a 19 (12 Int blah blah), anyways my DM says: "Alright Sherlock, you've come up with something, let's hear it."
      I bent down and sniffed at the drains, and the DM describes it as something sweet.
      Genius. Much to the demise of my warmage friend who's now tring to use the coconut as a hammer on a wall, I take them and brake them open over a drain.
      And then the 'door' appears right where the mage had been banging away. Talk about right in front of our eyes.

I think it was a clever and simple use of thinking on the DM in our magic heavy group.
      There's a thin line between the definition of genius and insanity; I cross it all the time.

Comment

I played GURPS more than D&D, but I was DM'ing (GM'ing is the term in GURPS) a bunch of "Heroes" who stopped a cart of goodies on it's way to an Orc encampment.

There were two brothers who decided they didn't want to work with the rest of the group, so they hijacked the cart from the rest of the group and ran off with it. The hijacking was pretty funny as well, some of them got pushed from a moving cart with some silly dialogue and such. Good times.

The rest of the campaign became a two sided story, but it was probably one of the most interesting P&P situations I had to deal with.

Comment

Another Game Based off of Gurps System.... More Sci-Fi but still fun, We just recently managed to stop our DM from letting the "Main Villain" get away when My Officer (Equivelent of Bard/Fighter) rolled 9 hits on Full auto Four of which were crits.... Grand total damage 159, It killed the poor guy twice over.

At the Time the look on the DM's face was priceless.
          Did I mention I hate Cats?

Comment

Sweet revenge

Early in Parn's life in PnP I managed while completely on fire, protected by a magic ring, to jump onto a vampire that was attempting to fly away and bit it in the neck, since I had to hold onto it while we were flying.
            Parn Thistleknot - Founder of the Midget Medic Corps.
            Raven

Comment

This is difficult because I had so many memorable moments with a frenzied beserker I used to play. Because I know this still frustrates Votta (Parn's real life alter ego) I'll tell this story.

Set up: TOC (Tournament of Champions) we use to play a creative arena set up one v one (with about ten to twelve of us creating characters for this event). Single elimination tournament, we'd start around noon and finish in the early AM.

Map: Underdark, tight caverns. (maps are always drawn random out of a hat)

Match up: Drow monk/rogue vs Human barbarian/frenzied beserker

Its pretty needless to say who had the advantage in this one. Drow in his environment, or the giant retard barbarian who just liked to hit things REALLY hard (I stress retard because we also had to roleplay our buying of gear before a fight and my barbarian went in to underdark blind...as in torches, and only one potion). To make things worse its rare we had a map where the two combatants are the only two on the board. So after fighting off creatures in underdark searching for this elusive Drow, and having my potion wear off, I get a nasty back stab while finishing off the last of the monsters (forgot what i was fighting).

Being in full frenzy I can only do what is natural while being blind, in caves, while getting backstabbed. I turn and swing (roll a 1, then roll a follow up 1), lose my weapon, and feel stupid OOC. The sneaky Drow (Votta/Parn) goes in for the kill (rolls a 1, rolls another 1) falls down (rolls badly on percentile) falls down on face (i think, Votta can correct me if i'm wrong). My turn again (roll a 1, rolls another 1) falls down (rolls great on percentile) falls down on prone Drow.

From here we don't have to roleplay very much. Quick grapple check, strength check (guess who won that one), and the remaining few rounds were just having a barbarian in full frenzy squeeze the life out of an unlucky Drow.

Ahhh the memories.
              Drago Muddeynard: Professional Hero, Proud member of the Midget Medic Corps

Comment

Stupid dice. FYI after you do almost 200 pts of damage and it doesnt phase a guy RUN! Just dont roll a 1.
                Parn Thistleknot - Founder of the Midget Medic Corps.
                Raven

Comment

I havent played PnP for a very long time but one of the most memorable things I ever did was when I was playing a Kender in a Dragonlance world.

It seems our land was on the verge of being plunged into war with an invading horde of Orcs and well I had never seen an Orc and there was this silly invisibility potion in my pouch...I think it used to be in Karadocs but he must have given it to me to use...how nice of him....

So I drank the potion and off I went since I had never seen an orc and well I thought these potions should last longer than it did...of course how would I know....im a Kender and just not accustomed to knowing such things....

So here I am standing in the middle of this Orc camp when the silly potion wears off...the orcs looked very shocked...like they had never seen a Kender before....

So the next thing I know all these orcs are running at me...somehow this magic wand thingie ended up in my pouch...I think it was Razalaans...I would have to thank him later for letting me use it...

So I point this silly wand at the Orcs and the next thing I know they are all chickens...which of course is about the time my friends show up to rescue me...Razalaan looked really mad which I didnt understand since he was the one that gave me the wand in the first place.

Comment

Good times in PnP

I was DMing a campaign and there were 4 players in the party. They had come across some ruins below the city they were in and of course, went exploring. I believe they were all level two, maybe one em had third. The mighty fighter went walking along where there were two lofts on either side and him on the lower floor. Well an failed reflex save got him grapplied by a (I think this is what it was called) Grell (jellyfish floating thingy) he rolled a 1 so I let him try again... 1. So there he is entwined with these tentacles being lifted to the beasts' maw. The Dwarf starts to climb up on one of the lofts, and the Halfling Barbarian (yes, you read that right) climbed up the other side. The dwarf launched his axe in heroic fashion scoring a hit. The halfling barbarian runs and leaps onto the Grell and buries his axe into it... which leaves him now hanging on by his axe to the beast. He decides next turn he will start kicking wildly and hope he hits something vital. The Elf cooly raises his bow and takes aim... makes a miracle 20 and then scores the crit. Rolls damage... 8 +1 for his weapon. The creature falls... still holding the 6 foot 3 fighter underneath it and with the halfling still clinging to it from above. I made them roll a percentage and said low score lands first. The fighter hits the floor and takes damage from the fall... the beast on top of him, adding more damage. Then the halfling, which was only a little... but yet more damage. He was unconscious with -4 and laying in a heap of critter goo as the halfling decides he was going to flip out and hack this thing almost litterally into jelly. So they got there stuff together, people were healed and they decided to take a return trip and resupply. The Dwarf and Elf up front... and the Human and the Halfing, covered in Grell goo, in the back because the other two didn't want to smell them.
                    "She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up." - Metaphor Madness

Comment

The most memorable time to date would have to be when I was DMing a quest and the party happened upon a 9 headed cyrohydra.

The hyrda had been placed there by a powerful wizard and could not excape, the door being to small. It quickly picked up their scent at the door and the fighter in the group tried to keep it at bay while the halfling rogue ran under it to the otherside of the room in hopes of getting a better shot or something that might aid them. After getting thoroughly mauled the fighter takes shelter behind the door frame again while the halfling is now left with the hydra alone.

The hydra charges towards the halfling, but before it gets there its the wizard in the parties turn. He says "I turn and shoot a fireball" I ask him if he wants to know how far away the hydra is and he responds with "No, I shoot the fireball in the center of the room so it can't avoid the damage." So he does... and deals a great deal of damage leaving the beast with only 15 hit points, but now the cyrohydra has a new target and with that it uses its breath attack on the door way.. completely freezing the wizard in a block of ice and nearly killing the other party members that were behind the door trying to hide.

Needless to say it was over all a humorous adventure of bad luck and poor choices that we all get a good laugh from.

Comment

One session that springs to my mind...

About 8 years ago, I was attending a Live Roleplay session, the setting was Vampire: The Masquerade. I'd brought along a friend who wanted to try out roleplaying, as well.

We started, made him a character and told him the basics. He wanted something different, so we made him a clanless vampire (basically outcasts), and he begun.

After a while, one of the more experienced roleplayers who was playing one of the leaders of the community had sought out this friend of mine, and told him IC that he'd pay cash to simply get him to get the hell outta his city.

After that, I didn't see my friend around. The next day, I called him up and asked what happened. He explained that this guy had come up to him and told him to get the hell out of the city, and that had to be fast. He'd felt so intimidated that he had actually packed his belongings and just headed home, not sure how to react.

Talk about sincere roleplaying on the older guys part.
                        Jaythen Auraya, wandering healer and herbalist. Also sligthly mad.

Comment

well mine would have to be when i played shadowrun. I played a half japanese half american indian names Jason Proudbear and I ran with a Mexican Orc Named Tuco. We had fininished a run and made it to the exit. I brought up the rear tuco was second to last. every one including tuco ( who isnt very bright mind you) saw a laser tripwire port. He saw it looked for a second and put his hand through it, said hey homes whats this and put his hand through it
                          putting the building in lock down. SO now we had to fight our way back up to the roof top and rappel down. we lost 2 guys on the way and tuco and I went to a bar to talk to our johnson, we explained the situation, he called tuco a racial slur so tuco unloaded to concussion grenades into his body, killing him his guard the surrounding booths and nearly knocking me out. Tuco was floored and i had to drag him out while fighting with some bar patrons.

Oh wait that wasnt fun at all damn it tuco
                          Angrim Thundergut: The Incredible Bulk

The Hint Banality

FINISH HIM!

^, >, >, V, X

Screen goes dark

Large red hand smashes opponent to chunky salsa

Banality!

Comment

Working...
                          X