Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Damn Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Damn Storm

If you were on with me last night, then you know that the storm that was supposed to hit this afternoon hit shortly after midnight. And with that comes three things. Firstly: I still have power (Rock on!). Secondly, I have no heat (sniffle). And third, I'm almost certainly snowed in. So, I'll be on as usual, just shivering and may disappear. Wish me the best, and I'll need to figure put how the hell I'm going to start a fire inside so I can stay warm.

From a cold Sparky shivering under his covers.
    We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Yuck I hope you have a fireplace! Otherwise that fire starting could prove extra problematic...
    Eurozone

Comment

Nope, no fire place. I live in an trailer, so this will be "fun".

EDIT: By the way, it' s-32C out here with the wind chill. Tonight will be extra "fun."
      We can axe if we want to, leave that sword behind. Because your friends don't axe, and if they don't axe then they're no friends of mine.

Comment

Oh shit. That sounds dangerous. Really hope you'll be well...
        Eurozone

Comment

Oh no!!! The best way to stay warm with out heat is to pick a room and insulate it. You can put plastic over the windows or the extra blankets or clothing and cover the windows with them. You can also light candles in that room once you have insulated a little. It isn't going to make it toasty warm, but it will make a difference.

I hope things get better!!
          GMT -9

Comment

Wow.

Normally my sage life advice is "Don't kill anyone, don't die and try not to catch fire."

I feel in your case I should add "Don't freeze."

Fuzziebunny's advice is sound, choose the warmest room and focus on making this your main living/sleeping room for now. You can create an extra layer of glazing by putting plastic / cling-film over the windows (leave a gap between the glass and the plastic, it doesn't function if they touch. Heat bridges and all), then cover that up with blankets or something.

Scrunched up paper is a great insulator, if the floor of your trailer isn't well insulated then loosely stuff a jumper with scrunched up paper and keep your feet on that to keep them warmer.

Wear lots of layers, tucked in, but be conscious of your own temperature. Getting so warm that you sweat is a real problem in the cold as in the longer term it'll rob you of more heat and cane lead to some highly unpleasant complications.

Good luck, don't die and don't catch fire or freeze.
            It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
            Sydney Smith.

Comment

my advice comming from a near by area with some of the most extreme weather swings ever... 1 go to your closet..
              2 take out ever stich of clothing you have.
              3 put it all on.
              4 screech..... lots of screech ( the black rum, sparkie knows what it is.)

just my advice.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqvitALivzE

Comment

Damn, screech would be nice.

Anyways, thanks for the advice, I've got my room nice and cozy, though it is a wee bit chilly.

The weather outside may be frightful, but I'm sure a shot or two of vodka will make everything seem a bit better.

Comment

its 64f here in Florida and im freezing, how are you alive? also don't die, who will smoke cigars with me if you're gone :'(

Comment

Well, I've got my heat back, which is awesome. But, there's also supposed to be another storm hitting.... Yay (drowns himself in a bucket).... Anyways, at least for now, I'm not a Sparky-sickle. Thanks for all the advice, it helped keep me not-cold until my furnace was fixed.

Comment

Hooray! Yay for your continued existence!
                      Eurozone

Comment

Electric or oil furnace?
                        Danté Swift: Archmagus and Marshal of Sestra.

Comment

Oil. The reason why my furnace stopped was that the flue (hope that's the right spelling) was buried in snow.

Comment

I have the greatest sympathy ever for having to endure no heat. The piece of crap house I'm in does- sort of- but considering the husband and I are both essentially out of work, we can't afford to run it. We don't have the cold that you do, but averaging 17*Farenheit at night still means it's cold. Always, it's cold. Glad your furnace got fixed, man- that situation was less a case of just being uncomfortable, and more a "could have been deadly".
                            River Swift

"Timing is the main difference between being a hero, and being an asshole" -River

"Nothing says "I matter" quite like having a price on your head" -Sandro

Comment

Guess I should keep my mouth shut about not having to turn on the heat yet because my loft is getting so much ambient heat from the units below me lol... and yes it's been like -20 C here a few times already.
                              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X