Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age of Wonders III - WOOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Wonders III - WOOT!

I just had to point this out for people.

People who know me know that I am a huge Turn-Based Strategy game fan. I've played everything from Warlocks, to Civilization, to Heroes of Might and magic and Disciples I to 3 (3 was and is utter shit). Commanding an army for battle is bad-arsed to me.

People who don't know what Age of Wonders is. The first age of wonders came out in the 90s. It was a silent classic that mirrored an old DOS video game called Masters of Magic. It was a complete hit with me, bringing some of the stuff one likes about something like Heroes but expanded far deeper into the gameplay style in ways Heroes couldn't touch.

After a decade since their Age of Wonders 2 release, #3 comes out, and BOY did they set a high bar for future Turn-Based Strategy games with their implementation.

I wholly suggest TUrn-Based fans check it out: http://ageofwonders.com/

The reason I found out about it is the Minecraft developer Notch invested in the game and I saw it on his blog awhile back.

In similar news, Warlock: Master of the Arcane is getting a sequel in Q1 2014 as well. While I don't expect the new Warlock game to top AoW:III, if it has anything like W:MoA's Armageddon mode, I will buy the hell out of it. It's a good quarter for TBSs, and all this right after Civ 5 got another update.

I don't have enough time for all this! D:
    Aleister Kimaris - Dragonblooded Knight of the Northern Watch

Comment

I am a Civilization fan myself (I've lost tons of hours playing and modding for II, III, and V). I've never played Age of Wonders, but it looks very interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on that one.
      Account Name: LuvHandles
      Maneae StrongArm - Devilish Warrior Woman (Active: Finding her place after time in reflection)
      Minael Cel'Anon - Elven Smith, Knight and Wizard (Inactive: seeking clues to lost elven artifacts)
      Aria Duvaine - Wouldn't you like to know . . . (Inactive: Whereabouts unknown)
      Ra'd Malik - Mulhorandi Warrior (Inactive: Off on a mission for the BH)
      Khyron Brinsbane - Fury of Auril (Inactive: Working with Cwn Annwn)
      Chazre Kenner - All around good guy with a penchant for revelry and chasing the ladies. (Deleted: Team Good, returned to Cormyr)

Comment

Trailer leaves much to be desired, but once they show some in-game footage, it looks very good. Like a HoMM with vastly improved graphics. I'll definitely get this - any rumors on release date?
        "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
        -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Lamb View Post
          Trailer leaves much to be desired, but once they show some in-game footage, it looks very good. Like a HoMM with vastly improved graphics. I'll definitely get this - any rumors on release date?
          Sometime this year is the only rumor I got.

The trailer they released a long while ago, but the gameplay from the previous titles beat the hell out of Heroes, so I expect nothing less this round either, especially since it's the original developers still (Unlike Disciples).

As for Warlock, I loved that game. It was a silent hit with me. Downside of that game for me was it was too easy to spread cities everywhere so it just became me making 1 party and systematically stomping on endless waves of ants until they just couldn't make ants anymore. They needed smaller buffs. I could literally cast every buff spell on a single unit then just rock the game.

Comment

Looks fun! Sadly I have never played the previous titles or the alt titles mentioned. The closest is age of empires I suppose. I am curious about this game.
            Active Characters
            Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
            Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
            Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
            Dorin Hammond- Scout
            Seith Ronson- Master of War
            "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
            Socrates
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GodBeastX View Post
              Sometime this year is the only rumor I got.

[snip]

I could literally cast every buff spell on a single unit then just rock the game.
              Q1 2014 is what Wikipedia says, and I seem to recall this being confirmed by some gaming magazine or another. So both Warlock and AoW:III should be out by the end of March assuming that's true.

And as far as Warlock's game balance goes, it was pretty much nonexistent - which is why I never played any mode other than Armageddon. It wasn't a well balanced game, but it was fun and absolutely worth the money I spent.

Comment

I loved the age of wonders series! Cant wait to sink my teeth into its next iteration!

Comment

I still regularly play Masters of Magic, love it.

It's part of the reason I have so much of a desire to expand Ixis!
                  It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
                  Sydney Smith.

Comment

Total War. Fuck everything else.
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Civ 5 > Total War.

Comment

March 31st release date
                        "Microsoft has to move the Reply All button further away from the Reply button. It's the computer equivalent of putting the vagina so close to the sphincter."
                        -Bill Maher

Comment

I can't wait! Age of Wonders was my favorite Tactical RPG growing up.

Comment

https://ageofwonders.com/age-of-wond...-art-revealed/

Apparently the female elven rogue on the AoWIII cover art is named ... Sundren! Coincidence?

... definitely probably.

... maybe.

Comment

Agree with Valhalla Civ 5> Total war. ok now i'm going to have play some civ, sad face

Comment

Working...
                              X