Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery computer issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery computer issue

Hey I need ideas.
    My computer has been acting up for a few days.
    Becomes real sluggish, takes long pauses. Takes 10-15 minutes to reboot sometimes. Yet I can play games like nothing is wrong. But just opening windows or web browsing can make you throw up your hands and quit in frustration. Seems random and frequent. Even as I typed this the browser paused and gave me the non-responsive message. Then after pausing for 10 seconds my sentence I was trying to type flashed across the screen.
    I did virus scan and found a boot sector Trojan. Killed it. No improvement. Reinstalled windows 7 64 bit. No improvement.
    Wonder if it is a hardware issue. Motherboard?
    Tested memory and windows said it was fine.
    Any tips?

I usually call tech support!
    Active Characters
    Hashart Datton- Marshal of the Black Hand
    Oliver Ironhide- Guardian
    Lynk Frost-Champion of Bane
    Dorin Hammond- Scout
    Seith Ronson- Master of War
    "A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true."
    Socrates
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Redjack
      Reinstalled windows 7 64 bit.
      Any tips?
      I take it that means that you formatted your drive?

If it doesn't work with a format, My last resort is usually to open up the mother and dusting her off with a feather duster. gently. Last last resort is to weep gently while I buy a new one.
      My'athvin Simaryl - Elven Mhaornathil
      Mhaenal Ahmaquissar - Minstrel Knight

Comment

Before you format, what AntiVirus are you using? Download Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft.com. run it, reboot, then run it again. The virus may be loading into memory and some virus scanners won't be able to stop boot sector viruses, but will say they will. I have run into that on a few peoples computers, or, other files may be infected.
        [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Blue][I][B]Landristin Ly[/B][/I][/COLOR][I][B][COLOR=Blue]onstongue[/COLOR][/B][/I]: Ancient, Child of Colibrus. Advisor of Colibrus, Emissary of Sestra, Magistrate of Sestra.

-[I]Not fond of morning walks on the beach.[/I]
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Normally I don't discount other people's advice, but for the love of god don't use Microsoft Security Essentials, it's a piece of shit that gives you very, very minimal protection. I can't tell you how many infected systems I've had to deal with that had it installed. It's useless.

Avira or AVG Free are OKAY, if I would buy something it would be Kaspersky, even a trial of it has always cleaned anything off the system for me (I deal with a couple a day at least).

It's hard to tell what's wrong with your system because frankly it sounds like you've fucked with it a lot. Did you format when installing windows again? Or reinstall overtop?

Do you have lots of free disk space? When was the last time you ran a defrag? Does a disk check find anything?

These are all things to look at. You can also check the windows event viewer and look at the SYSTEM log, and filter by errors only, any red Xs mean it's probably something not good, but not all errors are always real problems.

Finally it would be good to know how much memory you have too...
          The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

I despise AVG, it's a memory hog, and Microsoft Security Essentials has helped me clean systems with Kaspersky installed and unable to help. But that's just my two cents, and the Saulus is the man, who am I to argue?
            [COLOR=Black][COLOR=Blue][I][B]Landristin Ly[/B][/I][/COLOR][I][B][COLOR=Blue]onstongue[/COLOR][/B][/I]: Ancient, Child of Colibrus. Advisor of Colibrus, Emissary of Sestra, Magistrate of Sestra.

-[I]Not fond of morning walks on the beach.[/I]
            [/COLOR]

Comment

I maintain antivirus products for lawyers offices, utility companies, manufacturing plants, hospitals... you name it...

Used almost every product out there. av-comparatives.org has all the info, they test all the products.

Take a look at this: http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...12_intl_en.pdf (Page 6)

You think Microsoft is better? It's the worst out of every vendor! Wow.

Sorry I just had to post that, they are literally that bad in detection.

Anyway something is better than nothing, but if that's the case get avira or something.
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

<3 Cloud based panda AV.
                Originally posted by Saulus
                Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

Comment

No tech support to call. I build my computers. No I didn't format. Ack, that would be a nightmare. I use Avast, it didn't see the trojan. I had ran a restore point on my computer a from back in May. Believe it or not it reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials and when I rebooted MSE saw the trojan, but was unable to remove it.
                  Kaspersky had a tool that removed it. Maybe since I didn't reformat, the harddrive's index is damaged? I haven't ran chkdsk. Good idea. Defrag frequently. And yes I do fuck with my computer all the time.
                  Always tweaking something. Never had a serious virus problem before, no idea where this thing came from. If thats the problem. Figured once it was gone things would return to normal, but it hasn't.
                  I was wondering if because I always run my system overclocked, if maybe something was starting to fail.
                  I'll keep debugging it. It just is a odd problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X