Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we get DA2'ed again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did we get DA2'ed again?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ma...3/user-reviews

3.4 User rating
    Originally posted by Saulus
    Stop playing other shitty MMOs and work on Sundren, asshole.

It's only got a score that high thanks to a few ironic 10s.

I love the 92% professional critic rating, and the 3.4 user.
    It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
    Sydney Smith.

Comment

It's a peculiar sight to see the scores so far apart, but personally I think the user scores on Metacritic are to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't particularly care for critics in general, but I tend to go with the them over the users, at least as far as Metacritic goes.

The main reason is simply because I agree with them more often. The secondary reason is that the user reviews are so often full of arrogance and stupidity, that I can't take them seriously anymore. They will ADMIT to giving a lower score just to weaken the overall score and will often claim that anyone that likes a game they hate is just a 'die-hard fanboy' that does not know what entertainment is. It's important to stick by your beliefs and opinions, but who the hell do they think they are claiming they have the right to determine the definition of fun? There are some cases of positive reviews that are just as guilty. Another thing they do is tend to take cost into account for a score. I'm sorry, but while I think it's important to mention the cost of a game (especially in this economy), I don't think it should play any part of the overall score. Users also tend to be quite the purist, giving a so-so game a crappy review simply because it was not as good as its predecessor.

I often look at the scores of Metacritic for what few games I pick up from time to time, but I don't bother reading any reviews anymore unless it's by a particular person who I often see eye-to-eye with.
      sigpic
      Osclow Wiltenholm- "I have seen behind the mask and almost miss the bliss of ignorance."

Comment

I remember the glowing 'professional' reviews for Dragon Age 2. The users were right on that one.

Comment

It was a good, maybe even great, sci-fi action game. It was a decent rpg, if a bit shallow. It had a lot of obvious plotholes that make you guy 'why didn't...?', and you have to accept that you are playing a pre-set character on a novel-track path to not be somewhat disappointed. Despite all of that, eh. It was a good game. However there is one thing that is completely unforgivable, and I think this is what really has people so pissed off even if they don't see it as the primary source: the complete and total lack of epilogue. In a trilogy of games designed around the idea of your choices being important to the core of the game, when you get the big ending - you never find out what happens. That is a huge letdown. The ending(s) are also lazy and may as well have had only one ending since that's all they did cut-scenes for.

Edit: I enjoyed DA:2, but only because I could appreciate the story for what it was. The 'game' was a letdown because of the lack of world, replaced by a novel-style location and character. Had it not been titled a Dragon Age game, it might have been better received because it wouldn't have been compared to it's predecessor (a game world based on choices and uniqueness).
          Active
          Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
          Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Mass Effect 3 is plagued by Richard Knaak quality of writing, Arnold Schwarzenegger quality of acting, and Michael Bay quality of explosions. An action scifi game shouldn't be so melodramatic when major villains like "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" Harbinger and "cereal killing anti-Shepard" Kai Leng are reduced to cameos and flunky bosses to appeal to Shepard's god syndrome.

The majority of the game is enough to keep one's interest, so long as you aren't paying much attention to the gaping plot holes and the five minute side quests recycled ad nauseum on multiplayer maps. Unfortunately for the developers, the vocal demographic of the community is paying attention to that. Especially so when we've recently had successes like Skyrim and Xenoblade Chronicles on the market.

People can argue all they want about Bioware fanboys wearing rose-tinted glasses --- much like Square Enix fanboys when Final Fantasy XIV came out --- or some other game release humdrum, but the fact remains that a lot of corners were noticeably cut to make ME3.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyssis View Post
              Mass Effect 3 is plagued by Richard Knaak quality of writing, Arnold Schwarzenegger quality of acting, and Michael Bay quality of explosions. An action scifi game shouldn't be so melodramatic when major villains like "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL" Harbinger and "cereal killing anti-Shepard" Kai Leng are reduced to cameos and flunky bosses to appeal to Shepard's god syndrome.

The majority of the game is enough to keep one's interest, so long as you aren't paying much attention to the gaping plot holes and the five minute side quests recycled ad nauseum on multiplayer maps. Unfortunately for the developers, the vocal demographic of the community is paying attention to that. Especially so when we've recently had successes like Skyrim and Xenoblade Chronicles on the market.

People can argue all they want about Bioware fanboys wearing rose-tinted glasses --- much like Square Enix fanboys when Final Fantasy XIV came out --- or some other game release humdrum, but the fact remains that a lot of corners were noticeably cut to make ME3.
              Sounds like I'll save my money, then.

Comment

Spoiler warning. Do not strain your eyes/highlight the following text unless you want potential ending spoilers.

Shepard is wounded and tired, standing over the console, ready to end the war. Anderson is next to him, slowly losing consciousness. He reaches out to touch the panel and activate the big, bad, Reaper-ending device. But suddenly, his eye implants begin to glow yellow, and the indoctrination effect begins to tint the screen edges again. "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL." Harbinger-Shepard turns on Anderson, and the Reaper Fleet wins the day. That would have been the most glorious, magnificent bastard ending in the history of gaming.
                Active
                Reinamar Stormseeker - The bladestorm that must turn back the wind. Arkerym of The People, practitioner of the forgotten art, pariah.

Tyler Penleigh - Obligatory author insert, Red Blade Defender, sarcastic jerk, caring brother, loving fiancé, war criminal.

Retired/Dead
                Eirimil Gaelazair (Dead)- Bitter. Caustic. Abrasive. Egocentric. Probably right. Found dead in the burned-out Viridale forest a few weeks after the survivors were able to sweep the area after the Bloodmaim offensive. Aside from his usual attire, an intricate music box was the only thing in his possession.

Comment

Mass Effect 1 was the best of the three imo.
                  Originally posted by roguethree
                  If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Still not as bad as Matrix 3: Revolting
                    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Saulus View Post
                      Still not as bad as Matrix 3: Revolting
                      It is not fair to compare anything to that though
                      "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
                      Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
                      http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

You also have to take a look at who OWNS Bioware now ... EA Doesn't like games taking forever. Hence the HUGE difference between ME1 2 and 3 ... that being said ... I still enjoyed Mass Effect 3 ... the problem was insanity difficulty was cake walk vs Mass Effect 2 =(
                        "Service to a cause greater than yourself is the utmost honor you can achieve."

Comment

My 1000hp, 56%DR shock trooper shepard made ME1 Insanity a cake walk tbh. With regen on his armour and immunity up permanently.... Yes, fist fights with a thresher maw are fun
                          Originally posted by roguethree
                          If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

ME1 Insanity was a joke =P Me 2 Insanity = me rage quitting a few times for a few months.

Comment

Also, this is why you never trust critics ever ... who the eff gives Kingdoms of Amalur a 100% rating? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ki...alur-reckoning Don't get me wrong its fun for what it is but its not perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X