Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BioWare Learning from Skyrim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioWare Learning from Skyrim?

Interesting article: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Bio...RPG,14357.html

It seems BioWare took notice of the absurd sales of Skyrim and how well the post-release community support has been. It's no secret that EA forced BioWare to rush DA2 out the doors.

While a decent game it fell short in a lot of places (DA2), namely its devoid of life cities. If the article holds any truth, it looks like BioWare will be focusing more on a less linear environment.

To me at least, an open world game like Skyrim with the companion interaction and strong story of a game like Dragon Age would be something worth playing.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin

If they do make the next dragon age open world-free-to-explore with some randomly generated stuff, and the awesome dice system combat...hell that's like skyrim but d n d that'd rock...

Comment

But it wont happen while big conglomerates like EA are holding the reins. May as well let a seven year old write and design all games from now on because steadily thats the way we are headed. Just like metallica said; Sad but true.
      Originally posted by roguethree
      If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

Cynical? ToN? Never...

It's no new thing, Microprose was bashing out substandard products at a rapid rate to cash in on a successful title way before it was purchased, ruined and left for dead by Hasbro.

EA may want to earn money, but they're aware of the power of reputation and reviews, in the past it was fairly easy for companies to put pressure on the big magazines and review sites in order to ensure positive reviews. Currently it's a hell of a lot harder to sell a shit product to anyone vaguely savvy (this obviously doesn't include people who can be suckered into pre-orders or overnight queing for sequels).

It goes in cycles: Innovative product that gets acclaim - Expansions/DLC to earn cashmonies - Rushed sequel to earn more cashmonies earning bad press - Innovative product that gets acclaim - etc, etc...

Hopefully we'll be due some goodness in the next stage of the cycle, namely ME3 and DA3. Who knows, with ME getting multiplayer, perhaps DA3 will get modding support and multiplayer, possibly becoming a replacement for the aging (and poor) NWN2.
        It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little - Do what you can.
        Sydney Smith.

Comment

You can always trust me for an over the hill, totally hyperbole cynical comment

But as you said we must be due a bit of genuine innovation. I was not impressed with DA2... For my money you may as well have called it Time Crisis 7 and I would have been none the wiser.
          Originally posted by roguethree
          If I had my way, clerics would have spell failure and a d6 hit die. And Favored Souls wouldn't exist.

Comment

There has been alot of turnover at least on the EA Sports side of the company due to 3 successive years of massive flaws in a majority of games culimnating in the near unplayability of the initial releases of Madden and NCAA 12.

Also from what I can tell Bioware is getting their way in controlling ME3 and the SWTOR releases as apposed to what happened with DA and DA2 which were both overhyped and rushed by EA, also Skyrim bit a chunk out of the market EA is trying to dominate by buying Bioware. (With nowhere near the hype DA got)

Well we can all hope for the best right?
            "Half the lies they tell about me aren't true."
            Yogi Berra

Learn things:http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
            http://www.sundren.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Comment

Bluntly not a fan of EA. I think they're pretty damned invasive insofar as publishers go and need to learn when to let other people do their jobs rather than offering up "suggestions" from their marketing divisions. Just my opinion of them though.

Basically I'd like to see Bioware go back to designing the best games it can for its players, rather than the best selling product it can for EA. I genuinely feel that's been lost in their games of late.

Comment

Working...
              X